Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Decriminalizing Marijuana

Decriminalizing Marijuana
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 12:52 AM

So they decriminalized marijuana here a few months ago (in Western Australia). You are allowed 25 grams (I think) of personal stuff and can grow two plants.

One problem they have found in other states is that non-smokers tend to grow (legal) plants for pot smoking friends and little syndicates spring up. I suppose it's better than large-scale organised crime though.

Where are your laws at? Discuss.

I'm off to raid the fridge.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2002, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>So they decriminalized marijuana here a few months ago (in Western Australia). You are allowed 25 grams (I think) of personal stuff and can grow two plants.

One problem they have found in other states is that non-smokers tend to grow (legal) plants for pot smoking friends and little syndicates spring up. I suppose it's better than large-scale organised crime though.

Where are your laws at? Discuss.

I'm off to raid the fridge. </STRONG>
That sounds more like limited legalization, than decriminalization. Decriminalization here (NC, US) means that possession is still illegal, but instead of criminal charges, an offender faces civil charges and a fine.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 12:59 AM

Didn't our Capitol just legalize it there for "medical uses"?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 12:59 AM

yes!

I live in Cali. 45 minutes south of SF God it was beautiful
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2002, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
<STRONG>Didn't our Capitol just legalize it there for "medical uses"?</STRONG>
Federal, no. Individual states, yes. However, everyone's favorite, John Ashcroft, and his colleague John Walters have stated loudly that any attempt to act on this legislation in those states will be met with the full force of Federal law.

John Kerry called the representative from http://www.MPP.org, who testified before the Senate, "an eloquent spokesman for an evil position."

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: vmarks ]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 01:03 AM

I live in North Carolina, as well.

Marijuana is plentiful, although the quality is lacking.

Never checked the local laws regarding the possession of the leafy stuff - but experience taught me that states like Tennessee prefer to arrest you for having any amount of the stuff. They don't bother to weigh it in the patrol car to determine if you should be arrested or merely cited for possession.

PS

Please folks, do not run out and try marijuana just because a handful of places have reduced the penalty for 'simple possession'. This does not imply that it's safe and harmless. So don't try it. Besides, it drives up the price for us chronic smokers when there is a spike in demand by casual users due to the relaxed legislation.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: TNproud2b ]
*empty space*

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2002, 01:53 AM

It's been decriminalized (i.e. you get a ticket if you smoke it in public) in a number of locales off and on but since the 80's it's mostly been off. It's ridiculous. It's the largest cash crop in a number of states and most people either smoke it or try it yet the authorities still push the idea that it's a sure road to ruin and heroin addiction. The new Mayor of New York was quoted as saying "Hell yeah, I tried it and I liked it", but of course he's now saying that he "regrets" the statement ("regrets" being code for "it wasn't politically prudent even though most people agree with me").

Apparently John Ashcroft thinks it's a major priority to prevent people with intractable pain and incurable cancer to smoke a little weed in their dying days, so he's fighting the medicinal marijuana laws that were passed in some states by popular vote. Apparently the conservatives who are presently in control only believe in states' rights and individual liberty when it conforms to their personal moral code. What a sick joke.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: zigzag ]

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 02:08 AM

It didn't used to be a crime here to have a small amount on one's person. Sadly, someone bowed to the feds at some point. Last year, there was a ballot measure to legalize marijuana, commute all marijuana state prison sentences, etc.

I thought it was a nifty idea, but sadly, it didn't pass. Marijuana is big industry here. There was always some in my neighborhood growing, etc.

(BTW, I live in Alaska)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2002, 09:04 AM

New York State decriminalized personal possession of small amounts of pot almost 20 years ago. If you have less than 25 grams (an ounce is a bit over 28 grams), you get a court appearance ticket and will have to pay a fine. It's classified as a violation, which is less "criminal" than even a misdemeanor.
So I just get half an ounce at a time.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2002, 09:07 AM

There is no reason why any amount of pot should be illegal, especially if the amount is just for personal use.

Even back before I smoked or drank I though the laws against pot were absurd....Its effects can be damaging if taken overboard, then again everything in large amounts has bad effects on you. Everything in moderation. When taken in moderation it can really help out with stress and anxiety, why do you think so many college kids smoke? PLus is does wonders for upset stomachs (relaxes the entire stomach, hence the munchies ) and the non-dirt weed can relieve headaches with a single puff (the crappy stuff can induce headaches though...).

Personally I'd rather use this great gift of Ganja rather than some legal drug cooked up in a lab and al sorts of side effects and interactions with everything else under the sun...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2002, 10:26 AM

Legalize it; tax it; enforce it like alcohol.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 08:19 PM

� thinks Grass isn't that great. wait till you tried xtc, mdma or lsd. That stuff kicks.
T E K N O

Catalyst236
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>Legalize it; tax it; enforce it like alcohol.</STRONG>
Bingo!...that's exactly why it won't pass. It's alcohol's biggest competitor.

Let's see, drink alcohol and become obnoxious, beat your wife, drive into a tree, get in a fist fight for no reason and throw up, or......

smoke grass and feel good.....tough choice.
"I need a space with blue skies, that I can see the sun every day, alright....that I have nice weather....that I can just have nice water, you know....to dive, to swimming. It means a tropical country, not an island....a cold one. It's easy, any part of the world, but hot. Name it and I go."- The Lion

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 04:03 AM

What happens when you drink too much? You go home and beat your wife.

What happens when you smoke too much? You go home and eat her chips.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
<STRONG>What happens when you drink too much? You go home and beat your wife.

What happens when you smoke too much? You go home and eat her chips.</STRONG>
That is the most moronic thing I have ever heard. If you think that is what alcohol makes you do then you are more seriously f*cked in the head that you realize. Its a bad analogy and furthermore untrue. And no one better try drunk driving as another parallel because both substances impair motorskills.

Man, that was almost as dumb as talking about yourself in the third person.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2002, 02:10 PM

� laughs. Why shouldn't I speak about myself in 3rd person? You read my posts. Nothing wrong with giving myself a proper introduction.
T E K N O

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
<STRONG>

That is the most moronic thing I have ever heard. If you think that is what alcohol makes you do then you are more seriously f*cked in the head that you realize. Its a bad analogy and furthermore untrue. And no one better try drunk driving as another parallel because both substances impair motorskills.

Man, that was almost as dumb as talking about yourself in the third person.</STRONG>

Alcohol certainly plays a major role in promoting violent behavior.

When was the last time you heard of a fight/disturbance that didn't involve alcohol?

OK

When was the last time you heard about somebody getting stoned and "shooting up the place"? like...never.

Marijuana may impair motor skills and sense of time - but it almost never contributes to violent behavior.
*empty space*

Catalyst236
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2002, 04:14 PM

When we start taxing the plants, they will revolt. "Attack of the killer tomatoes", that was a true story.

Seriously, how many bars and liquor stores are there in your locale? Too many to count, in most cities. Some states even run the liqour stores. It's a huge source of income and taxes.
There's no way in hell the booze industry will let pot take any market share.

Besides, how can you tax and regulate something that anyone can cultivate in their backyard, and have a free lifetime supply? Yes, pot is free. It grows in the ground all by itself. The alcohol industry knows this, they aren't stupid or naive, just greedy.
"I need a space with blue skies, that I can see the sun every day, alright....that I have nice weather....that I can just have nice water, you know....to dive, to swimming. It means a tropical country, not an island....a cold one. It's easy, any part of the world, but hot. Name it and I go."- The Lion

Forum Links
Forum Rules