Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Corel Draw discontinued. Anyone care?

Corel Draw discontinued. Anyone care?
theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 07:04 AM

I read yesterday that Corel has discontinued development for the Mac of its Corel Graphics Suite (Corel Draw, Corel Paint, Corel Rave etc). I've never actually used these programmes on a Mac, but have had to suufer numerous jobs where Corel Draw was the standard on Windows. It has been such a riotous POS since about version 5, where they started putting in feature after feature and even in its newest incranation on Windows, Corel Draw 11, it is just totally buggy, unreliable and a general PitA to use.

The reviews that I read on the Mac OSX version were quite good however as Corel seemed to have cleaned up the interface there. Anyone ever used it on the Mac? I gather they discontinued it because it wasn't selling well. Why on earth they didn't bundle it with scanners etc, or make a deal for bundling on iBooks and iMacs etc is beyond me and only seems to strengthen my opinion that Corel is one of the most seriously f***ed software companies out there.

Anyone care about this?
weird wabbit

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 07:24 AM

No. I've only used CorelDraw once for 15 minutes on a PeeCee back in 1998. Didn't like it the least bit. Corel is history anyway. Photoshop+Illustrator won. The CS suite sealed the deal both on Mac and PeeCee.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 08:12 AM

Thing is, PS and AI are somewhat pricey for most people who aren't into graphics in a pro way, and although PS Elements owns the home pixel based graphics market, it wouldda been kind of nice to have a cheaper vector drawing alternative for casual users.

Oh well. RIP, as they say.
weird wabbit

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 08:15 AM

I remember when Corel announced a few years ago that they were using the Mac graphics market as their entree back into relevance in the marketplace. Someone must've forgot to tell them about a little company called Adobe ...
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 08:46 AM

Still got the free version that Corel gave out running in Classic. At least until the other free (X11) alternatives get there a bit more. Can't beat being stingy

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
Thing is, PS and AI are somewhat pricey for most people who aren't into graphics in a pro way, and although PS Elements owns the home pixel based graphics market, it wouldda been kind of nice to have a cheaper vector drawing alternative for casual users.

Oh well. RIP, as they say.
Yah the market for the prosumet drawing/painting apps has never been lucrative. The prosumers don't make money with the apps and therefore won't pay much more than $50 for such an app. Most will just skip it or pirate Adobe. Some richbitches will buy the Adobe apps but almost none will go for a mediocre product such as CorelDraw. It didn't seem to have a niche. I doubt it is doing well on the PeeCee either.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Yah the market for the prosumet drawing/painting apps has never been lucrative. The prosumers don't make money with the apps and therefore won't pay much more than $50 for such an app. Most will just skip it or pirate Adobe. Some richbitches will buy the Adobe apps but almost none will go for a mediocre product such as CorelDraw. It didn't seem to have a niche. I doubt it is doing well on the PeeCee either.
My man, you can say that again. In my last job, I had a true dickwad of a boss who was convinced that Corel Draw was the only good drawing application available, but this only because the f***er was too damn stupid to learn anything else. The hours I spent converting version compatibility errors and fighting with his dumb CAD drawings that would kill any printer and almost always print in the wrong colour would have made me a rich man if the bastard would have paid for them.

The guy mandated the use of Corel Draw in the company and it was only after I showed him proofs of wildly inaccurate colours from the prepress place that I managed to get PageMaker instituted for external marketing stuff.

That programme is so bad on the PC I can't see anyone seriously using it who isn't as stupid as my ex boss was.
weird wabbit

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 01:32 PM

Corel what?

Forum Links
Forum Rules