Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > OS X thin clients

OS X thin clients
crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 08:08 PM

Has anyone experimented with setting up a network of thin Mac OS X clients? If so how is it done?

I know it has been done in unix but was wondering is anyone has done this with Mac OS X.

I would like to investigate going this route provided the economics are better then having 3-4 new systems.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 09:00 PM

What will the server(s) be running? Do you have a bunch of old OS X capable macs laying around you want to reuse?

crazycylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
What will the server(s) be running? Do you have a bunch of old OS X capable macs laying around you want to reuse?
I would like the server to be running OS X native apps. Right now I have only one OS X capable Mac. Suitation is that I have 5 users including myself who are sharing one system and potentially a sixth user who is currently in first year of primary school.
( Last edited by crazycylon; Oct 15, 2003 at 10:30 PM. )

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 09:38 PM

It doesn't sound like a thin client setup would be economical in your case, and I'm not sure you could even pull it off with OS X as the server. To my knowledge there's no way to run native apps in a remote window short of Apple Remote Desktop, and that's only a single-user app.

crazycylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2003, 05:37 PM

Scarpa,

Thank you for your reply. At looking at the cost of a citrix thin client system, I would have to agree with that a thin client system it is not economical for home users.

I have only come across two articles on thin clients for OS X and there appears to be a number of issues that would have to be worked out. I will slowly network the Mac's together as I obtain them. Thanks again for your input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules