Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > panther & password to dismount drive

panther & password to dismount drive
Palafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 10:53 AM

Haven't seen this anywhere... Panther has been prompting me for my administrator password to dismount my external fw 400 drive (firelight)... It doesn't seem to require this for other drives (including ipod). I am the only user on the computer & cannot find anywhere that I required a password to do this simple action. Any ideas?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 11:32 AM

i'm having the same issue.
possibly a permission's thing?
need to check my fw drive (later), see if that's it.

or...anyone else??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Palafo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 02:44 PM

But not ipod. Odd.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I did the upgrade rather than a fresh install of Panther -- I'm wondering if I'd rather live with a password inconvenience than some other problem with these drives.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 02:51 PM

I use the " Ignore ownership on this volume" in the Get Info window for the drive and don't get a prompt for authentication.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I use the " Ignore ownership on this volume" in the Get Info window for the drive and don't get a prompt for authentication.

i have that checked as well, but am still receiving prompts for a password to dismount my fw drive...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Palafo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 01:53 AM

Your suggestion to check ignore ownership didn't work... but it gave me the clue I needed.

Under get info - ownership & permissions
the group was listed as "unknown." I changed that to "admin" because the owner was listed as the administrative user. I unchecked ignore ownership to do this (it was grayed out otherwise). Now I'm able to eject/unmount the drive with no problem.

So anyone else having this problem should play around with those permissions under "get info" -- it's possible that is the problem. We'll see if it's sticky when I reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules