Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Those darn Canadians: Apple educational market share.

Those darn Canadians: Apple educational market share.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2003, 10:23 PM

In Canada, Apple has surpassed Dell in both laptop and desktop educational sales.

Apple's share of the educational market in Canada is 46 percent, compared to Dell's 14 percent.

See here. I had no idea.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 10:35 PM

Yeah, I remember an article from a few years ago saying that Apple's market share in Canada was growing at something like 25% a year.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 10:39 PM

Those Canadians know how to do things right.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2003, 10:45 PM

think different eh?

shmerek
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2003, 11:13 PM

You can add my brother into that 46% he just bought a brand new ibook. He called me up the other night to tell me that he was leaning towards a PC because they were cheaper but I learned him good.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2003, 11:15 PM

Well, that might be the percentage on paper, but I have no idea where they all are.

Every school I've ever seen has PCs. In fact, I've never seen a Mac in a public school in Canada, besides here in the Chemistry and Health centres at the U of A.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Well, that might be the percentage on paper, but I have no idea where they all are.

Every school I've ever seen has PCs. In fact, I've never seen a Mac in a public school in Canada, besides here in the Chemistry and Health centres at the U of A.

greg
Well, it probably doesn't include whitebox PCs I'm thinking.

Macs are very popular in primary or secondary schools. And at universities, the PCs are often 3rd party builds, not Dell or anything.

Sealobo
Nov 6, 2003, 11:25 PM

I was gonna get OS X from my school's (U of Toronto) campus bookstore last week, but it was sold out!

Yeah Macs are all over the campus!

shmerek
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2003, 11:27 PM

The last time I was in the music library at McGill it was 5 pcs 3 macs

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 11:32 PM

greg
And you grew up in Edmonton? Seriously, what schools did you go to?

And, it may not be a public school, but check out St. Joseph.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
And you grew up in Edmonton? Seriously, what schools did you go to?

And, it may not be a public school, but check out St. Joseph.
Hmmmm... They Think very Different there.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Nov 7, 2003, 02:48 AM

greg
Pff, not here. MY highschool was 98% Macs. We had 2 PC's just for this encyclopedia software on CD-ROM.

My design school collage was also 80% Macs. They only had PCs for the 3D and CAD classes which makes sense and 10% of those were SC machines at $10,000 a pop.

"Hello, what have we here?

quandarry
Nov 7, 2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
think different eh?
the only people i ever hear eh? from are americans trying to imitate canadians...

it gets tiresome...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
the only people i ever hear eh? from are americans trying to imitate canadians...

it gets tiresome...
I hear it all the time. Maybe you're just too used to it. It's less common in large urban centres though, it seems.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I hear it all the time. Maybe you're just too used to it. It's less common in large urban centres though, it seems.
I think your right. When I worked for Alcan, we would get a lot of Canadian truckers in. There was one trucking company out of Brockville that would have two or three runs a night. A lot of those guys would do the 'eh' thing to varying degrees. The guys from the more urban areas didn't seem to do it too much.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 09:59 PM

Manitoban from Winnipeg... I say eh a fair bit...

That said my high school had only Macs in the graphics lab and year book... the other computers they'd buy were either Power Land a local crap white box maker, or IBMs.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 10:03 PM

I hear "eh" used by older people from rural areas a lot; not so much from the youth there.

It's kind of funny 'cause every time I say the word, it stands out to me.

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 10:05 PM

Then why has every school I've ever gone to in 18 years had crappy Dells and Compaqs??

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 11:56 PM

Sadly my old highschool (luckily *after* I was out of there) changed all of their computers that were used for the rather extensive graphic design classes that they had, to Windows boxes. My old graphics teacher and head of the art department was not pleased about this. They did, however, get new Macs for the screen ed classes as they had been using Macs with Avid Cinema for quite sometime. They now use new iMacs with iMovie. Apparently they had some guy come in to look at the computers and said something along the lines of: "We don't have anything like that [for Windows]" and so they got to keep the Macs.

Now, the elementary schools in the city are all Mac. I used to help run the one computer lab at one of the elementary schools, and had those old PowerPC's and iMacs whipped up into quite the good shape!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 8, 2003, 03:14 AM

apparently my school board is not thinking different yet. i do not ahve the the benefit of macs and ibooks in my school. we get instead, 4-5 yrs old PCs with win 98.
Ryan

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 10:11 PM

Edmonton Public School district has phased out all Mac's in favour of Windows based PC's. Supposedly easier for tech support. (imho it was about job security)
As a man comes, so he departs.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by crazycylon:
Edmonton Public School district has phased out all Mac's in favour of Windows based PC's. Supposedly easier for tech support. (imho it was about job security)
That too is very Canadian.

The abundance of Macs surprises me because they are pretty expensive here. I guess the ed discount is good (software prices are excellent)

Forum Links
Forum Rules