Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Teasing Meanly

Teasing Meanly (Page 4)
eFX
Nov 18, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by darrick:
more (leaked?) info at resex

http://www.resexcellence.com/

"Drum roll for Shape Shifter... We'll know today for sure so keep an eye out for (possible simultaneous) announcements from Swizcore Studios, Unsanity, Max Rudberg and William Bart! I received this image (which has been posted elsewhere) late Sunday night. From what I've heard this app may be much like Kaleidoscope was for Classic Mac OS. Expecations are it will use a it's [sic] own format for Theme files, have greater stability and allow each user on any one system to have a different Theme installed.

I think we'll also see the long awaited BBX Omega Theme released at the same time as Shape Shifter and with any luck some other new Themes too."
awesome!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 09:00 AM

It's 8am here... is it here yet? No? Ugh... I want it soo bad that it hurts... ouch.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 09:08 AM

/me *taps* foot
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 09:10 AM

C'monnnnn...

/Homer

"-Dodge This"

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 09:14 AM

I say go ahead and release the damn thing. I don't think I can hold all this excitement in.

If there wasn't a teaser... It would have dropped like a bomb and blew everyone out of the water.

I want to be the first one who has it. I sure hope it's good. Otherwise I think I'd shoot myself.

I also hope it will give themers more flexibility with themes (being able to do ANYTHING like in OS 9 and Kaleidoscope)

I can't wait

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 09:20 AM

The writing was on the wall in this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=184575

"I think it's time we collectively acknowleged Jason Harris (aka Smeger) as the patron saint of theming in OSX - without him we'd all be using inferior tools and crumping up our systems trying to get old themes to work on new systems. The man's a genius - if anybody is going to crack open the OS to a Kaleidoscopesque degree it will be this man.
" - BBX

BBX was floating a balloon! He just can't help hyping projects he's involved in. And god love him for that!

Can't wait guys! - although I did sleep fine last night.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 09:21 AM

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

-omg

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 09:25 AM

It is 5:30a.m. Los Angeles time and it is still NOT out yet.

It will be really suck if the theme designers are messing with us

We all see.

Christian

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 09:31 AM

must...

go...

to...

school...

and stop...

following...

this...
thread.

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:33 AM

ok..so im sorta confused. all this sounds really exciting, but what was kaleidascope? what made it so much better than theaming today? can someone fill me in and bring me up to speed??? thanks!!! im counting down too! althogh..i really dont understand to what...hahaha

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by zell:
ok..so im sorta confused. all this sounds really exciting, but what was kaleidascope? what made it so much better than theaming today? can someone fill me in and bring me up to speed??? thanks!!! im counting down too! althogh..i really dont understand to what...hahaha
The site is still up... wow

http://www.kaleidoscope.net/

MacQNX

IconFactory Echelon 8.5 (With Albie Wong)

And some of William Barts first Schemes...

BBX Merucury

hypersleek PRO DARKSIDE

And one of his first (if not his first)...

Ultrasleek Designer Graphite

You could do almost ANYTHING with it.

-Owl

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2003, 09:50 AM

This better out-shadow the Apple hardware releases today...

timdorr
Nov 18, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
This better out-shadow the Apple hardware releases today...

That's doubtful. The Dual 1.8Ghz looks REALLY good now

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 10:22 AM

DUDE!

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 10:25 AM

I'm just hoping we also get Swiz's new theme. Grr. I hate waiting.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

solidfox
Nov 18, 2003, 10:27 AM

A kaleidoscope-like app would make sense since almost no themes have been released for panther yet.

Would also explain the delay of Omega.

Anderton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 10:31 AM

Hmm, does the logo not feel like the Sony-Ericsson logo?...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Anderton:
Hmm, does the logo not feel like the Sony-Ericsson logo?...
Yeah, it does....

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
must...

go...

to...

school...

and stop...

following...

this...
thread.
lol I'm at school and reading this topic.

From what I've heard this app may be much like Kaleidoscope was for Classic Mac OS. Expecations are it will use a it's own format for Theme files, have greater stability and allow each user on any one system to have a different Theme installed.

I think we'll also see the long awaited BBX Omega Theme released at the same time as Shape Shifter and with any luck some other new Themes too.
I KNEW IT!!!!!
click one

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 10:52 AM

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 10:59 AM

RIP Project Monolith. We hardly knew ye. Had no intention to get to know you, though.
;-)

timdorr
Nov 18, 2003, 11:06 AM

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by unlinear:
RIP Project Monolith. We hardly knew ye. Had no intention to get to know you, though.
;-)
Pffhhhtt

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 11:26 AM

Wow, shapeshifter and an ugly looking Halo theme by Max...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:34 AM

;-)
Indeed.
click one

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Wow, shapeshifter and an ugly looking Halo theme by Max...
It has the marathon Logo for an apple menu!

-Owl

lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 11:48 AM

guipod is a pretty smooooth theme, although it has some color inconsistancies in menu bar
lazydesert

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:53 AM

;-)
Unless monolith does something 2x better its a dead horse.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Unless monolith does something 2x better its a dead horse.
Lets beat on it!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
It has the marathon Logo for an apple menu!

-Owl
seriously, right?

im not totally impressed with this. i was running titanium6 before and i think ima uninstall shapshifter (to same days to demo the bitch) until there is a theme worth downloading and playing with.

well, thats my .02

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 01:39 PM

It supports 10.2 themes doesn't it?
Will Milk work with out modification?

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 01:42 PM

so wait, let me get this right, there are only 2 themes right now and they both kinda suck? is there more???? this was it? this was the BIG THING?

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 01:52 PM

so wait, let me get this right, there are only 2 themes right now and they both kinda suck? is there more???? this was it? this was the BIG THING?
Lemme get this right, you registered a new nick because your too chicken **** to diss as yourself?

If your not interested move on to the next thread.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I went and read more.
Any theme in .dlta theme format will work with Shape Shifter.

swiz
GUI Punk

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
It supports 10.2 themes doesn't it?
Will Milk work with out modification?
Yes it will but it will "squeeze" the titlebar widgets and some other things until the theme is manually updated by max.

I have Power Metal, and Studio Pro ready as guiKits for 10.3 from my site.
http://www.swizcore.com

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit

no..not at all. im new to macnn and and registered today because i wanted in on all this excitement. get over yourself

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 01:56 PM

Because it only patches in the resources in memory panther themes will work in jag and vice-versa.

Its not really a big deal aside from the APE based switching. It does mean much better stability and no more aqua restore. Also some of the more annoying things can be done (like having widgets with different shapes properly shadowed).

It WOULD have been nice if they had pushed it a bit farther to have on-the-fly customizations like transparency levels, theme variations, text color, etc.

Good theme switcher... not quite the gui utopia that it was hyped up to be.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 01:56 PM

no..not at all. im new to macnn and and registered today because i wanted in on all this excitement. get over yourself
Riiiighht, Im so conceited.
Im through playing tag.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 01:58 PM

Because it only patches in the resources in memory panther themes will work in jag and vice-versa.

Its not really a big deal aside from the APE based switching. It does mean much better stability and no more aqua restore. Also some of the more annoying things can be done (like having widgets with different shapes properly shadowed).

It WOULD have been nice if they had pushed it a bit farther to have on-the-fly customizations like transparency levels, theme variations, text color, etc.

Most of those options you mentioned are possibilities. The feature list is about 10% right now of where it is going and is close to being at.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Riiiighht, Im so conceited.
Im through playing tag.
He almost, nearly, came close to making the valid point that it should have had a wee bit more support in the way of new themes. Not a huge issue really and I'm sure there is a good reason.

Actually I like both themes. Max's might be a bit too much for everyday use. Using swiz's right now, kudos on an awesome theme

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Most of those options you mentioned are possibilities. The feature list is about 10% right now of where it is going and is close to being at.
Sweeeeeet

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 02:08 PM

I knew this sh*t would happen...last week we were killing our OS installs with borked finder.apps.... A team of guys work their ass off to try and make theming better for all and all I see is a bunch of whiny ass complaints. Nobody puts out a perfect piece of software with out bugs, especially without a widespread beta test. If Max or Kevin puts out a theme that works then they are gods...if theres one glitch then everyone sucks...which team member has not consistantly produced speedy bug fixes? Where would GUI enhancement on OSX be without the hard work of everyone you all are currently bashing?....put it in perspective people...just say "THANK YOU"

Smeger (ooops...)
Max
Kevin
Billy
Unsanity...
etc.
( Last edited by digitaljames; Nov 18, 2003 at 02:20 PM. )

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 02:09 PM

Seems stable so far. I'm using your theme Swiz, it's pretty sweet. Is ThemePark going to be updated to export out this new GuiKit format? I'm assuming it will. Great job, it'll make themeing so much easier.

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 02:10 PM

cant take criticsm swiz? you sure sound like your full of yourself. this application is quite buggy, and im sorry but the theme you put out isnt all that impressive. its not that much different from what we were used to before. im not saying this aplication wont be good, but as of now the program and your theme really isnt all it was cracked up to be. if you cant stand people critiquing your suff maybe you should either stay out of the forums or develop worthwhile apps/themes.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by wagmedia:
Seems stable so far. I'm using your theme Swiz, it's pretty sweet. Is ThemePark going to be updated to export out this new GuiKit format? I'm assuming it will. Great job, it'll make themeing so much easier.
Yessir

Max
Kevin
Billy
Unsanity...
etc.
Smeger should prolly be at the top of the list. Thank you very much though.

cant take criticsm swiz? you sure sound like your full of yourself. this application is quite buggy, and im sorry but the theme you put out isnt all that impressive. its not that much different from what we were used to before. im not saying this aplication wont be good, but as of now the program and your theme really isnt all it was cracked up to be. if you cant stand people critiquing your suff maybe you should either stay out of the forums or develop worthwhile apps/themes.
Oh gimme a break, opinons are one thing, saying you register because your interested in the topic and then just complaining about it is not interest, its flamebait. Ive taken plenty of heat over the years Ive been buidling these things so spare me.

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 02:25 PM

dude, look back a few pages, i posted my first post before the app was even released. you are right though...there are no perfect apps when they are first released. unsanity hands down has some of the best mac mod apps out there. But dont make this some sort of alturistic act Digitaljames. yeah you worked hard im sure, but its a program your selling. (rightfully so) this isnt something out fo the goodness of your hearts or it would be free. you dont deserve a medal because you spent time developing a program you intend to make money off. sorry, i dont think youll be getting the nobel peace prize for this one.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 18, 2003, 02:27 PM

It wasn't hyped more than a teaser poster posted one day before release. I think some ppl here went insane and expected a little too much. And they overhyped it.
Nonetheless, it's still a very great product.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 02:28 PM

We're beyond the teaser now - might want to move this out into the actual announcement thread.

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 02:30 PM

yo bbx im really really looking forward to your theme, can you hint when were going to see it????

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 02:34 PM

Constructive criticism surely should be posted and welcomed.
I think the mechanics of this are at the "proof of concept" stage.
I think the themes feel rushed and are not really going to represent the future - BBX's theme preview is certainly an eye-catcher.
I can't use it with the current themes - Menubar icons look awful, and it just feels liek something on a Windoze box.
Once I switched it off, I was amazed at how good the Graphite OS X theme looked in comparison.
The work done to bring this to us is appreciated. I installed and used it on my main Mac - not even on my test mule first. I did that because of the guys who made this thing - I trust their work and have high hopes for the future.

SB

Forum Links
Forum Rules