Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Welcome to the Future of OS X Themes

Welcome to the Future of OS X Themes (Page 4)
Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I like the transparent mouse cursor, anyway.
Those be my 'Ghost Cursors', for Mighty Mouse.

Direct download here

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 01:14 AM

This routine feels hauntingly familiar... Hopefully your way will work for me...
|wishing is for suckers|

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 01:32 AM

Nope, still nothing... I emailed Unsanity the details, hopefully I can figure it out before too long.
|wishing is for suckers|

quandarry
Nov 19, 2003, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
I still can't get this to work, I've reinstalled it countless times, logged out dozens of times, and restarted endlessly. I have APE 1.4.1 installed, ShapeShifter is installed, I removed Metallifizer and WindowShadeX just incase there was a conflict somehow. Permissions repaired, caches emptied... Does anybody have any idea why the pref pane would keep crashing System Preferneces?
prolly a dumb question but....

do you have a theme installed with menu enhancer layos added in 10.3? this causes crashing in certain apps.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
prolly a dumb question but....

do you have a theme installed with menu enhancer layos added in 10.3? this causes crashing in certain apps.
Nope... Standard aqua...
|wishing is for suckers|

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 03:20 AM

I'm converting an AVI file into SVCD at the moment, so I can't logout or restart, but I am really, really looking forward to trying this out.

Theme changing and "skins" have been the only thing I missed from back in the Classic OS days. I'm a huge OS X fan, and have never looked back.

This is exactly the kind of app I have been wanting. I've never experimented with any of the other theme changing apps out there now, because of their inherent instability that I've allways heard about.

Thanks very much to all of you who have worked on this. If it is as good as it seems to be, I'll be sending my twenty samolians pretty damn quick. I can't wait to show my mac-using friends here in Japan.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
And do MacQNX first. That was the greatest theme ever. The title bar was a thing of beauty. I'd hunt down the creator to port it myself, but I'd probably do a crappy job...
In case you never notized but Max already did a port of QNX a loooong time ago! (http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/themes/jaguar/qnx.htm)
edit: ok, I just checked the original MacQNX scheme again and Max's theme doesn't really look the same...

To the developers of SS:
I would like to know how much goes to the theme developers if I pay the 20$? I don't really have a problem with paying the fee since I think it is really worth it but I would also really like to see that I can honor Swiz, Max, BBX... with a fair amount of money!!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( Last edited by badidea; Nov 19, 2003 at 06:59 AM. )

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2003, 07:15 AM

The theme is missing a file, and ShapeShifter is a little more picky than ThemeChanger when it comes to that (you can't use Themechanger though because it does not update the theme). But I suggest all of you just sit back and relax until I release the real deal for 10.3 later this week.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 07:39 AM

Hmm.. After a reboot, I've noticed that all of the dialogs called from the Apple Menu (About This Mac, Restart, Shut Down, Log Out etc) are broken. They just don't show up...
Does anyone have an idea for a fix? Thanks.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by christianclark:
Yea. I know. I might buy it.....;IF IF IF.....BBX Omega is so sweet and cool. I have to see if BBX Omega would be better than Shinobi. Right now, there's nothing cooler than Shinobi. The rest of the themes are really boring.

It is all on William's hands now.

Christian
BBX Omega is all that AND a bag of chips

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
I can't wait to show my mac-using friends here in Japan.
Jackalope, I've had sporadic reports that themes can't be applied on Japanese systems and language barriers have prevented me from getting good details. If you come across issues on Japanese systems, please submit bugs using Unsanity's feedback page.

An unpublicized feature of ShapeShifter is that it avoids all of the localization issues that have plagued previous theme changing apps. Or it's supposed to, anyway.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
BBX Omega is all that AND a bag of chips
I like the sweet onion & clives flavor with ranch dip

I have to download ShapeShifter again to use BBX Omega, right?

Christian

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by christianclark:
[B}I have to download ShapeShifter again to use BBX Omega, right? [/B]
You'll need ShapeShifter to use any upcoming BBX themes (and I've got some doozies just waiting in the wings). ShapeShifter is going to let me bring to life any of a dozen designs I have sitting on my hard drive right now - I'm up to speed now guys, it's time for an all new wave of ubercool BBX stuff

zboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:23 AM

To the developers of SS:
I would like to know how much goes to the theme developers if I pay the 20$? I don't really have a problem with paying the fee since I think it is really worth it but I would also really like to see that I can honor Swiz, Max, BBX... with a fair amount of money!!!
I really have no idea since I"m not involved with SS at all, but from what I understand, the theme developers themselves dont get any money. But, they also wont get any email about problems installing themes or other support questions. Or angry emails from users who tried installing their theme and hosed their system. Maybe not cash, but definately compensation..

arhra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:25 AM

Is there any possibility that Unsanity could look into sorting out some alternative payment options? I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd like to pay for ShapeShifter, but can't due to not having a credit/debit card that their current solution accepts... (in my case, i'm stuck with a solo debit card)

ArcticBear
Nov 19, 2003, 11:28 AM

I had said earlier: 1. If I'm running 10.3 it says I can run 10.2 themes - ok. But, if I'm running 10.2.8, can I run themes built/optimized for 10.3?
Well, after giving some themes a spin, I find the 10.3 ones I have all work, while some of the 10.2.x ones don't. They fail for some missing part or other, e.g.:

ShapeShifter was unable to parse one or more mods
Specific error messages for each mod follow. You should copy these
and send them to the author of the mod.

The mod at "Titanium5" cannot be used because the
"main.themescript" file cannot be parsed. It has mismatched
OSTags. The starting tag is "10.2.8" and ending tag is"10.2".
Titanium6 from the same author for 10.3 works though! I'm using BBX Mercury right now and it is sweet! Can't wait to see the Omega!

Oh yeah, and I'm on an iMacDV 400 with the monitor tricked to 1280x1024 with SwitchRes X (external attached to get better size and proper color) and it isn't that much slower than without ShapeShifter. I find that amazing as it seems to be comparatively less of a slowdown than Kaleidoscope did to the system in OS 9. This Mac is on the way out however.

macphreak e
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:53 AM

It's quite expensive, but anyway:
IT ROCKS!

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by ArcticBear:
I'm using BBX Mercury right now and it is sweet!
Did it shrink the window widgets? Everytime I try to use a Jaguar theme with SS it shrinks the widgets a bit. So for now I'm only using Panther specific themes.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by arhra:
Is there any possibility that Unsanity could look into sorting out some alternative payment options? I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd like to pay for ShapeShifter, but can't due to not having a credit/debit card that their current solution accepts... (in my case, i'm stuck with a solo debit card)
PayPal - I'd buy it then.
we don't have time to stop for gas

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 12:26 PM

Still can't open the pref pane...
|wishing is for suckers|

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Hmm.. After a reboot, I've noticed that all of the dialogs called from the Apple Menu (About This Mac, Restart, Shut Down, Log Out etc) are broken. They just don't show up...
Does anyone have an idea for a fix? Thanks.
The problem disappeared when I installed a guiKit theme (Aluminum Alloy) instead of the dlta theme I was using previously... Still don't know exactly what the problem was, but right now I'm one happy camper

ArcticBear
Nov 19, 2003, 12:45 PM

codywalton: Did it shrink the window widgets? Everytime I try to use a Jaguar theme with SS it shrinks the widgets a bit. So for now I'm only using Panther specific themes.
This is Max's BBX Mercury X implementation. The widgets look fine, but I'm not running this in Panther. I'm still in Jaguar (10.2.8).

On another note, I hope Izawa translates his themes to work in ShapeShifter. Mmm, if there's a way to use or convert them now, I'm in the dark. Then again, I haven't really tried to do much with themes. It's been rather laborious to get everything changed, then if something broke to get it all changed back. I'd be borked to this day if AquaFix hadn't been available!

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 12:56 PM

This is Max's BBX Mercury X implementation. The widgets look fine, but I'm not running this in Panther. I'm still in Jaguar (10.2.8).

On another note, I hope Izawa translates his themes to work in ShapeShifter. Mmm, if there's a way to use or convert them now, I'm in the dark. Then again, I haven't really tried to do much with themes. It's been rather laborious to get everything changed, then if something broke to get it all changed back. I'd be borked to this day if AquaFix hadn't been available!
Ahh, well I'm on Panther so I guess that explains it.

Also the 10.3 version of Shinobi works fine with SS, but I guess that doesn't do you any good. Just another reason to upgrade to Panther.

ArcticBear
Nov 19, 2003, 01:14 PM

codywalton: Ahh, well I'm on Panther so I guess that explains it.

Also the 10.3 version of Shinobi works fine with SS, but I guess that doesn't do you any good. Just another reason to upgrade to Panther.
Well, but it does. The 10.3 themes I have all seem to work fine. Izawa put out his themes in some kind of installer format (the ones I DL anyways). I checked package contents and couldn't find a .dlta in there. Guess I'm goin' googlin' for Shinobi!

Panther... ah, if and only if it runs faster than Jaguar on my current setup. Otherwise I'll hold out and get it for free with a new system. I figure that point will come in the next year or so.

Oh yes, and at 10.3.4 or so when all those bugs are fixed!

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 01:17 PM

I checked package contents and couldn't find a .dlta in there. Guess I'm goin' googlin' for Shinobi!
I just downloaded it and found the disk image had a folder named ThemeChanger .06 (or something like that). In that folder there is a .dtla...

ArcticBear
Nov 19, 2003, 01:32 PM

Bobby: I just downloaded it and found the disk image had a folder named ThemeChanger .06 (or something like that). In that folder there is a .dtla...
<-- closest smiley to embarassed

Yes, you're right! I saw that folder but figured it was just a... er... read me or something for Themechanger users. There's a .dlta file in that folder for his 10.2.8 themes as well! I'll be...!

Any other newbs out there can thank me for publically tripping all over this one. Enjoy your themes! Guess it's time to log out and in and see how they perform!

ArcticBear
Nov 19, 2003, 01:51 PM

Dude! They work!!!

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 05:50 PM

Hey:

I'm running the Aluminum Alloy theme and I have some crazy stuff going on. I'm thinking it's a ShapeShifter issue. Here's what is happening.

I have transmit uploading a lot of stuff to my website so it goes and goes. Then I have a safari window open and it overlaps the transmit window. Now when i go to some sites, for example www.maxthemes.com, my progress bar kind of shoes though. It flashes and the flashes mach up exactly with the progress bar in transmit. Does that make sense? You can also see it while scrolling the webpage. You get a bunch of little blips in the safari screen from the transmit progress bar. I'd take a screen shot but it's tricky to get a pict of.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 09:57 PM

When ShapeShifter starts up it says "Scanning Standard Mod Directories", does anybody know what those are? Because that's how far it gets before it crashes. I still haven't seen the damn thing, but the APE Manager pane tells me that SS is loaded for all applications.
|wishing is for suckers|

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 11:41 PM

I did an archive and install and I still can't get it to work... I guess I'll have to wait until the next time I get around to doing a clean install to try it out.
|wishing is for suckers|

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 11:55 PM

It breaks Microsoft Remote Desktop and Konvert.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
When ShapeShifter starts up it says "Scanning Standard Mod Directories", does anybody know what those are? Because that's how far it gets before it crashes. I still haven't seen the damn thing, but the APE Manager pane tells me that SS is loaded for all applications.
Send me your crash log.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Anderton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 03:44 AM

Could some of you themers like Max *explain* how much easier it will get to develop themes with the new GuiKit theme format?
Could this one be a kickstart to have more themers like back in the Kaliedescope days?

Och f�rresten, Max AA �r grymt fet.

p.s could someone port this guys themes?
http://www.kaleidoscope.net/cgi/sche...r=keikinoshita

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 08:19 AM

Will future themes created for shapeshifter allow changing of the background and text colors in the finder for column view? This is what keeps me from using themes. I know pathfinder allows this customization but I dont want to use pathfinder.
3R1C

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Anderton:
Could some of you themers like Max *explain* how much easier it will get to develop themes with the new GuiKit theme format?
Could this one be a kickstart to have more themers like back in the Kaliedescope days?
Theming hasn't gotten any easier becuase of SS - it has gotten easier (and will continue to do so) thanks to improvements in Themepark (which allows a themer to take advantage of SS's cool features and spit out guiKit format), theme templates created by Max and Smeger and some Photoshop actions created by Max and Swiz. SS promises to open things up a bit because 1.many of the limitations stifling there imaginations will melt away, and 2. interest more casual users in themes by providing a safe and powerful delivery system.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 12:57 PM

I'm kinda young I guess compared to everyone else on these boards, but I hardly remember kaleidoscope. I used it maybe when I was in fifth/sixth grade. What was so great about making themes on it? What made it so easy? It is truly amazing how many K schemes were created. Though admittedly, most of them look like something I wouldn't try downloading...

There must be something huge to account for what, 25 themes on OS X and thousands for 9, right?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 01:32 PM

I want there to be an exclude list for apps like Camino that don't look right with some themes. Can't APE generally do exclude lists? Why not in ShapeS?
Edit: There is an exclude list. [I was an] ID10T. IMHO, This should be marketed is a feature. It can be a big advantage.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 01:33 PM

I would still like to know why when using Panther but using a Jag theme in SS why the widgets shrink. This happens to all Max's jag themes and makes them look kinda ugly.

ArcticBear
Nov 20, 2003, 02:30 PM

phillryu: Though admittedly, most of them look like something I wouldn't try downloading...

There must be something huge to account for what, 25 themes on OS X and thousands for 9, right?
At this point I think it's basically a time factor. Didn't OS up to 9 have more or less the same layout/structure/component parts? New OS versions had new stuff, but it built on what when before. We had to start all over unraveling the secrets of OS X. As for numbers of themes: ResEdit was (is) free. But other solutions, albeit for $: Resorcerer. Designer's Studio with its WYSIWYG editor. Lots of little programs to make the work easier, and tips and tutorial were around.

But I also think the number of OS X themes now made by hacking the Extras.rsrc and associated files is comparable to the number of appearance sets that were made (reverse engineered) to work just with Apple's Appearance control panel and no extra software, i.e. very few. And I found very few of those to be artistically up to snuff.

Which is completely unlike what happened with Kaleidoscope. Sure you had thousands of ugly schemes only a mother could love, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder! People liked to customize their Macs their own way. And there were a lot of really well put together schemes that just shone! I'm hoping that happens now with OS X.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Send me your crash log.
I will PM it to you right now.
|wishing is for suckers|

valdur
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 01:16 AM

ok..well..this might have been covered already...haven't followed this whole thread...but uhm...so how are we suppose to mod themes in the guikit format?...themepark couldnt open it..so??

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 06:35 AM

Are we any closer to being able to change the background colour of list/column view windows? Does Themechanger, or Shapeshifter allow this?

That's one of my contentions with X just now, it'd be nice to have allow dark themes to have any colour tone so that they'd blend a little better than the default white.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
What was so great about making themes on it? What made it so easy? It is truly amazing how many K schemes were created. Though admittedly, most of them look like something I wouldn't try downloading...
Take a look at some of these:

http://www.kaleidoscope.net/schemes/...potlight.shtml

What made K so great was that you could basically make a window look like anything within reason. Until now, this hasn't been an option on OS X at all.

Now these limitations have been removed, I expect to see somewhat of a resurgance.

I don't believe we will ever see mass popularity like K had on OS 8/9. Mainly because OS X is very pretty already - whereas classic was functional, it didn't have any "wow factor".

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
What made K so great was that you could basically make a window look like anything within reason. Until now, this hasn't been an option on OS X at all.

Now these limitations have been removed, I expect to see somewhat of a resurgance.
And just think, with transparency masks just think of how much better themes like this would look:

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 04:55 PM

In my opinion this is the best "KScheme" ever. He seems to have fallen off of the planet though. (I know his website is down)

If you guys never saw this in its full glory you are really missing out! I spoke with him about a year ago and he was working (slowly) on a OS X port............. but now, who knows.

http://www.kaleidoscope.net/cgi-bin/...=patrickokelly

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
In my opinion this is the best "KScheme" ever. He seems to have fallen off of the planet though. (I know his website is down)

If you guys never saw this in its full glory you are really missing out! I spoke with him about a year ago and he was working (slowly) on a OS X port............. but now, who knows.

My favorite Classic theme was DSGtheme. I was into metal stuff when I had OS 8.6. Now I hate metal themes [laughs]. Very weird.

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/...1-dsgtheme.gif

Christian

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2003, 06:29 PM

My favorite K scheme isn't even on the kaleidoscope site. It's called "something blue" and is the most usable interface next to Aqua. Clean, simple, elegant.

I don't think the guy who designed it is still doing themes, so I may try to port this to OSX once I play around with ThemePark some more.

Speaking of that, where can I find a good theme preview app for OS9 if I want to convert some old themes or shcemes to GuiKits?
( Last edited by codywalton; Nov 21, 2003 at 06:45 PM. )

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 11:07 PM

Oh, I miss this........
Patrick, where are ya man?

BTW his site IS up.

Merc in all its glory:

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 07:24 AM

Oh, I miss this........
Patrick, where are ya man?

BTW his site IS up.

Merc in all its glory:
That's just... Ugly

zappy
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
i found that if you tell it not to theme the menubar apps then they aren't fuzzy, but i ut weatherpop in the list and no change. weird.
I added "FuzzyClock" and "Konfabulator" to ShapeShifters exlude list and it fixed the problem for me. Even the Konfabulator widgets itself were blurry before the exclusion . I don't use Weatherpop so I can not help here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules