Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > difference between Powerbook G4 battery model numbers?

difference between Powerbook G4 battery model numbers?
robot prom
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 12:58 AM

i'm looking on eBay to pick up another battery for my G4/550 Powerbook, and there's a lot of batteries on there with a variety of model numbers. The model number of the battery that came with my PB is M6091. There's also M8511, A1012 and M8244G/B.

Are the different model numbers interchangeable? Is one model number better than the others?

robot prom  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 06:58 PM

anyone know an answer?

N.N.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 05:24 AM

There have been three different, but interchangeable battery models for the PowerBook G4 Titanium from Apple:

M6091 (1st generation TiBook) - 50 Wh
M8511 (2nd and 3rd generation) - 55.3 Wh
A1012 (4th generation) - 61 Wh

M8244G/B is just the order number and does not implicitly tell the capacity, but both order number and model number are printed on the cardboard box, whereas only the model number is printed on the battery itself.

If you buy a new or used battery, check its serial number if possible. As with all Apple products, the first digit in it tells the year and the second and third tell the week of its manufacture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules