Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Play Mini while Charging?

Play Mini while Charging?
bedoughty
Jun 26, 2004, 04:50 PM

Hey all, I've searched high and low in these and Apple's forums but to no avail: I'm using a G4 1.25 ghz Al powerbook with OS 10.3.4 and I just got my mini. I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to play my mini while plugged in and charging through FW? When I eject but do not disconnect, I get a screen w/a big 'ol check mark and an "Ok to Disconnect" message, but I cannot access any of the menus until I do so. I tried Restoring it, wiping everything but that did not work.

2) Whenever I do disconnect the ipod, it looks like it resets itself. I get the Apple logo right when I unplug it and I have to wait I'd say around 5-10 seconds before I get the default menu screen. Something wrong?

Any advise helps, thanks everyone!
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 06:13 PM

I get both of those on my mini, even with the updated 1.1 firmware. I miss the play while charging feature after using it a lot on my 3G 15GB iPod. If anyone has figured out a workaround, I'd love to have these issues addressed as well. Have you taken a look over at iPodlounge? There's a lot of info to wade through, but it might be worth a shot.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 07:42 PM

Hrmm I guess the mini works like the 2g ipods. You can play music if you're charging on a power brick but not on a mac.

The apple logo is normal. Upon unplugging it reboots. Upon plugging the ipod in it usually reboots into firewire mode.
Aloha

bedoughty  (op)
Jun 26, 2004, 07:51 PM

Well aint that just a kicker... too bad the mini's firmware isn't as smart as the 3G Pods. I'm not even sure I'm gonna keep this mini anyway, I might throw it up on ebay or something.
-
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 02:46 AM

hey that ebay idea isn't bad you could sell it for more than retail probably and when they are in ample supply you can get a rev. b

bedoughty  (op)
Jun 27, 2004, 10:51 AM

To be honest it's kinda starting to grow on me. I have about 25 gb of music on a 40 gb ipod and this mini was given to me as a sort of gift. But having a good chunk of music that actually fits in my pocket (I've never considered even the 3G ipods to truly 'fit' in a pocket, especially not with any kind of protective case) is becoming somewhat addicting. Plus, I checked ebay and the gold mini's don't go for that much more than retail anyway. Everyone's after the 'cuter' colors.
-
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by bedoughty:
To be honest it's kinda starting to grow on me. I have about 25 gb of music on a 40 gb ipod and this mini was given to me as a sort of gift. But having a good chunk of music that actually fits in my pocket (I've never considered even the 3G ipods to truly 'fit' in a pocket, especially not with any kind of protective case) is becoming somewhat addicting. Plus, I checked ebay and the gold mini's don't go for that much more than retail anyway. Everyone's after the 'cuter' colors.
Yep, it's the same with me. I have +30GB of music on my Mac but I would never consider a normal 3G iPod because they are huge and you don't need that music with you all the time. My iPod mini suits me perfectly. The only thing I wish is an LCD-remote and better battery-life.

bedoughty  (op)
Jun 27, 2004, 01:29 PM

Well I still would LIKE to have all that music with me, don't get me wrong. I'm actually hope that because of the success of the mini Apple's pushing the microdrive manufacturer (I think it's Hitachi?) to improve 1" drive density to increase the mini's capacity. I think that's because I'm a spontaneous music listener.... I'll listen to groovy music like G. Love and Special Sauce and Dave Matthews, then maybe a NIN album, then a few Deep Forest tracks. I'd gladly pay another $100 or so for a 10 or 15 gb mini. Here's hoping Tiger isn't the only next big thing debuted at WWDC this week.
-
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Yep, it's the same with me. I have +30GB of music on my Mac but I would never consider a normal 3G iPod because they are huge and you don't need that music with you all the time. My iPod mini suits me perfectly. The only thing I wish is an LCD-remote and better battery-life.
Be a man! Do you know how much bigger the 2G ipods are in comparison? Especially the 20gb ones o_O omg dude
Aloha

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 27, 2004, 07:01 PM

A friend of mine has a 3G iPod (15GB) that also doesn't let him use while on FireWire, even after being ejected (it gives the same "it's OK to disconnect now" screen). The only difference I could find was that his is formatted as Windows, while mine is formatted for Mac.

Does anyone know if that makes a difference?

tooki

bedoughty  (op)
Jun 27, 2004, 07:14 PM

Yea I know that does. I was playing around with trying to make my 3G 40 gb 'pod work with my Winblowz box @ work and my Mac and I noticed that while formatted for Winblowz it did that same thing... although I've formatted this thing using the iPod Updater software and it still does that... is there a different way I can format it? (If I remember right Disc Utility warns against using it to format an iPod) Might there still be a chance of using it while charging?
-
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 08:13 PM

It has to do with a different version of the firmware. I'm guessing they don't bother to update the fat32 firmware as diligently?
Aloha

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by bedoughty:
Yea I know that does. I was playing around with trying to make my 3G 40 gb 'pod work with my Winblowz box @ work and my Mac and I noticed that while formatted for Winblowz it did that same thing... although I've formatted this thing using the iPod Updater software and it still does that... is there a different way I can format it? (If I remember right Disc Utility warns against using it to format an iPod) Might there still be a chance of using it while charging?
yeah but wouldn't disc utility format in an hfs+ format or is it customizable

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Be a man! Do you know how much bigger the 2G ipods are in comparison? Especially the 20gb ones o_O omg dude
Yeah I know how much bigger they are. They are huge IMO. Before the iPod mini I had a Sont MZ-E10 MD-portable it was a few mm thicker than an MD and it was only 55grams so going to a mini was like twice the weight in my pocket. And seriously carrying a normal iPod in a backpack or something like that is no problem but in your pants or something like that ? No thanks, I would like to keep my pants on (only goes off when necessary ).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 28, 2004, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Link:
It has to do with a different version of the firmware. I'm guessing they don't bother to update the fat32 firmware as diligently?
There's only one firmware -- any 3G iPod and iPod mini can be formatted as FAT32 or HFS+.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules