Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mobile printer suggestions? Text quality most important

Mobile printer suggestions? Text quality most important
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 06:44 PM

A friend of mine just switched and her ancient HP printer doesn't work with OS X, not even with the GIMP- drivers. That's ok, she wouldn't mind getting a new one.

I'd be happy if you could recommend a printer that'd somehow fit these specs:

� Small footprint, a mobile printer - type
� Good text quality ( black ink ) is a high priority
� Color and photo output quality are secondary, not even necessary

A search in this forum listed Canon BJC-55, BJC-80 and i70 as popular mobile printers. Would you recommend any of them for text printing?

Does anyone even make monochromatic printers anymore?

TIA,

J

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2004, 08:14 PM

Take a good look at the Canon i80. I think you will be impressed and satisfied with the output quality.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 25, 2004, 10:56 PM

Much as I love Canon printers, HP's printers have the best plain-paper text output of any inkjet.

The Canon's are better all-around printers, but for just text, I'd get an HP.

tooki

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 04:29 AM

I love my Canon i80, and HP's mobile printer, the 450 series, is decent but doesn't compare as well. I used both offerings before sending one back. The HP is over two years old at this point, and I believe the Canon was updated earlier this year. The HP is physically larger and prints slower on both black and color pages. Even though color isn't a big consideration, if you want the Canon turns out much nicer color prints. Text output is fast, dark, and crisp, even on plain paper.

Judge_Fire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 07:51 AM

Well, though opinions on quality differ, it seems to be down to these two printers:

� Canon Bubble Jet i80 (310 x 174 x 51.8 mm)
� HP DeskJet 450CI (338 x 164 x 83 mm)

The Canon is smaller, covering 1492 mm2 less surface area, so it wins there, if by a small margin. It also seems a bit cheaper.

Some sites claim it's prone to paper jams, though. Any experience?

Qualitywise, I'll try to compare them at a retailer, to see if the HP would still be the better choice. Can be tough to find, though - seems shops here only carry the larger models and these smaller ones need to be ordered.

Thanks for your help,

J

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2004, 03:29 PM

Hey Judge_Fire

I put about 50-75 pages though my i80 every month, going on 9 months so far. No Problems... Other than the Cost Of Ink... But I've been get Ink off of Ebay so it isn't to Bad.

The Only Problem with the i80 is the Black and Color Ink Carts are very, very small... I'll run out of Ink before I run out of Battery... Yea, my pages are about 70-80% covered...

Have Great Holiday's!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules