Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > two macs connected, internetsharing - how to forward ports?

two macs connected, internetsharing - how to forward ports?
malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2005, 10:53 PM

Hello,

my main comp is the G5 which also has the DSL connected to it. My old G4 has a FireWire connection (DHCP, manually) to it, it is remotely controlled via Apple Remote Desktop.

I have the big problem that my fine old Apple mike won't work at the G5 anymore () so I have to use it on the G4 to audio chat.

For this I use Netfone (which allows me to do this crossplatform and with more than 1 friend at a time).

Now, since the G5 is the router for the G4 they cannot connect me anymore because it seems the G5 won't forward the ports to the G4.

HOW CAN I SOLVE THIS?

Can anyone walk me thru the process? No firewall is used on both computers.

Thanx in adv.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 11:49 AM

Spend the $20 to get an ethernet router and stop the silliness.

Or spend the $20 - $40 for either a USB microphone, or a USB microphone adapter and get rid of using the old hardware altogether.

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by larkost:
Spend the $20 to get an ethernet router and stop the silliness.

Or spend the $20 - $40 for either a USB microphone, or a USB microphone adapter and get rid of using the old hardware altogether.
This doesn't really answer the question on port forwarding � which is interesting anyway.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by malique:
This doesn't really answer the question on port forwarding � which is interesting anyway.
Yes... it does answer the basic problem: you are trying to do things the wrong way. Use a router.

Forwarding the ports requires monkeying with routing tables, and if you think that this setup is a good idea, then you don't know enough to go doing that.

Oh... and the USB microphone price is down to $13:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Sea...&Manufacturer=

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 12:06 PM

Oki thanks. It's enuff to know that making this possible would be really tricky.

Might have been possible there is a li'l app out there and somebody tells me: just switch this and this on and there you go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules