Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best cell phone interface

Best cell phone interface
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 05:41 PM

I'm constantly amazed by the crappy UI that runs most phones. I've got a SE T610 that I think is ok, but there are still a bunch of things that I don't like. Why can't apple design a cell phone?

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 06:04 PM

i have a T610 and it is not too bad. i kinda like it. i came from 2 samsungs that sucked. e105 and n105.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 08:02 PM

I think the interface of my SE T616 is one of the best I have used on a cellphone. Samsung and Motorola's are horrible!
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 08:32 PM

Get a fast symbian phone.

UIQ is the best UI - but phones that support it tend to be large.

Series 60 isn't too bad, once you get used to it - but you need a fast phone - Nokia 6600 is not fast enough.

chillinCHiEF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:08 AM

I like the new Moto UI. My V551 was confusing at first coming from a SE (T616) and Series 60 (N-Gage), but its so customizable that you can pretty much put anything anywhere.
---------------------------------
12" Powerbook G4 (1Ghz)
my first mac :)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2005, 03:46 AM

Series 60 rocks! Love my Nokia 6630. Themes are great as you caqn even have transparency in the menu extras. Great speed and solid reception and very good battery life. Best phone I've ever had.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Series 60 rocks!
having had a series 60 phone and now a SE T6xx i have to agree that Nokia/Symbian Series 60 takes the cake.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 03:33 PM

I am in need of a new phone. I've had a T610 for a 13 months now but the screen froze and cracked in the blizzard a couple weeks ago so now I can't see anything. I've been frustrated with the UI on that phone for a while now but I'm probably going to get its successor, the T637 because AT&T is offering a good deal on it right now.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 08:19 PM

I really like the interface of my LG VX6000. I know it's a CDMA phone, and you seem to be looking at GSM, but just thought I would chime in. I had a chance to play with the VX7000 and they butchered the interface, and it seems they used the same interface for the VX8000. I think my next phone will be a moto E815 hopefully with iTunes support, or a Treo 650 whenever Verizon decides to pick it up.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I think the interface of my SE T616 is one of the best I have used on a cellphone. Samsung and Motorola's are horrible!
I've got a T630 which has the same interface as the T610 (T616) and what can I say, it's great! Plus the cell phone itself is robust and has an "easy" form factor (easy to handle).

- Thilo

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 02:27 AM

I got a Motorola V3 Razr recently, and even with the improved interface over my last Moto phone, the asstastic v70, it's still bad compared to the T616 I upgraded from. I had an S700i and that was even nicer than the T616. Not a fan of Samsung's UI design either.

tae667
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 10:39 AM

Series 60 rocks! Love my Nokia 6630. Themes are great as you caqn even have transparency in the menu extras. Great speed and solid reception and very good battery life. Best phone I've ever had.
This is true, but we're still waiting for iSync to support 6630...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by tae667:
This is true, but we're still waiting for iSync to support 6630...
Tiger is supposed to have MLSync. I did a workaround using my bt-enabled Tungsten T pda in the interim.

storer
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 04:58 PM

Motorola interfaces are ALL shocking. I hate my V600.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 10:42 PM

ditto...i hate my v600 now...at the time it was the top of the line phone so i got it as i got a great price from att

personally id geta k700i ...which i will probably get when i upgrade my phone this summer

the phone is made by sony ericsson by the way

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 11:19 PM

The updated Sony Ericsson UI's are the best(K700i,K600,Z800,S700i etc)
I have the K700i and couldnt be happier,its like this phone was made to be used with a Mac. I wouldnt go Symbian unless you're going for a UIQ device...Series 60 phones are slow and they crash,I have owned just about every Series 60 device since the N3650.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2005, 02:47 AM

The 6630 is fast, faster than the SE UI and it's not crashed once. I had a 3650, then quickly went to the 6600. I get a free upgrade annually and went to the 6630 and it's the best and fastest phone I've ever owned or seen.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 02:56 AM

The 6630 is fast, faster than the SE UI and it's not crashed once. I had a 3650, then quickly went to the 6600. I get a free upgrade annually and went to the 6630 and it's the best and fastest phone I've ever owned or seen.
You're in that big of a hurry to change a theme?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 02:50 PM

The phone interface on the SE P800/900 series with the addition of the jog dial is the best I've used yet, extremely quick and intuitive. (Though I can't say the same for the PDA side)

The T6XX series is a bit slow as well as the updated ones IMHO.

I don't know why SE doesnt release their phones with the 5-way jog dial, but if they did, I'd buy one in an instant. My P800 doesnt exactly have the greatest form factor.
MBP 1.83

Forum Links
Forum Rules