Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger: can you change screen capture from PNG to PDF?

Tiger: can you change screen capture from PNG to PDF?
vdrummer
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 12:49 PM

I sure liked it better when Panther would save screen captures as PDF files instead of PNG files as Tiger does - is there any way to change Tiger so that your cmd-shift-4 screen capture gets saved as a PDF?

mportuesi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 12:56 PM

I don't know if you can (still running 10.3.9), but you could always open the image in Preview and then save as PDF. If you don't like having to do that all the time, you could probably put together an Automator workflow to do it for you.

Personally I think the change is a good idea since PNG is more friendly to graphic programs.

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 01:03 PM

… or to JPG, in my chosen level of compression?

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by malique
You can compress it yourself easily enough. The good thing about PNG is that it's a lossless format, and therefore you lose no quality in the initial save. If you want to compress the image in a lossy format later then you can tweak it to whatever level of compression you want, and you won't lose any more quality than can be avoided.

Seriously. PNG may be the best raw screenshot format out there. Lossless compression (but decent compression, unlike BMP), the potential for gamma correction, full browser support (they aren't transparent, so even NS4 and IE/Win can display them perfectly), and so on.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

gbarill
Jun 17, 2005, 02:19 PM

i'm sure he knows the benfits of the PNG image format, i just think he wants to save the time involved in RE-exporting every capture...
if someone finds out how to do this i'd also like to know (still on 10.3.9, so PDFs for me...)
i'd prefer JPGs at a chosen compression level

vdrummer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 04:30 PM

I was preferring PDFs because the non-techie, cross-platform users I often email screen-grabbed attachments to readily recognize the PDF format. Although they all may have software that can view the PNG file, I think more people will be confused if you say "Here's a PNG file for you"; PNG advantages notwithstanding.

mportuesi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by vdrummer
I was preferring PDFs because the non-techie, cross-platform users I often email screen-grabbed attachments to readily recognize the PDF format.

No argument here; PDF is a very good distribution format. But it still makes sense for Apple to default to PNG, since it's an excellent intermediate format that lets you easily work with it in apps such as photoshop, graphicconverter, gimp, etc.

Is there any reason why an Automator workflow to do the conversion doesn't sit well with you?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 05:06 PM

How about FreeSnap ?
http://www.efritz.net/software.html

Combined with VanillaSoap Design's Capture Widget, all power to you !
http://vanillasoap.com/widgets/

-t

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 05:09 PM

Okay, people, it's very nice to list all Apps now that allow different types of screen capturing or picture conversion, butthe original question was: CAN WE CHANGE IT IN THE SYSTEM?

Afaik there WAS (at least) one simple .plist where that could be modified. At least in early Panthers or pre-Panther.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Fusion
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 05:49 PM

Okay, people, it's very nice to list all Apps now that allow different types of screen capturing or picture conversion, butthe original question was: CAN WE CHANGE IT IN THE SYSTEM?

Afaik there WAS (at least) one simple .plist where that could be modified. At least in early Panthers or pre-Panther.
No, you could not modify this in Panther either. It's hardcoded in and there is no way to change it. That is the reason why people are suggesting other things.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2005, 09:00 PM

Set up an automator workflow. Probably the easiest way to do it. Just drop the PNG into a folder or use a finder plug in and it'll change it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by schuey100
Set up an automator workflow. Probably the easiest way to do it. Just drop the PNG into a folder or use a finder plug in and it'll change it.
If you've got GraphicConverter, this is just the kind of task it was made for. Its batch-operation tools are very good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2005, 07:17 AM

Maybe you should have specified this in your post. But you didn't !

Originally Posted by vdrummer
... is there any way to change Tiger so that your cmd-shift-4 screen capture gets saved as a PDF?
Thrid party apps change Tiger so it FUNCTONALLY creates PDFs.

-t

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2005, 09:44 AM

vdrummer specified this exactly in his initial post. But we're not here to argue. Obviously there is no easy way to change it in the system. Too bad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2005, 10:04 AM

vdrummer specified this exactly in his initial post. But we're not here to argue.
As long as you are claiming things that HE did never write, yes, I'd like to argue. Nowhere in his post he specified a CHANGE IN / OFF THE SYSTEM. Show me different !

-t

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 10:08 AM

The easiest way to make it automatic is to create a Folder Action attached to the Desktop that automatically converts files named "Picture xxx.png" into your desired format.

vdrummer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2005, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by mportuesi
No argument here; PDF is a very good distribution format. But it still makes sense for Apple to default to PNG, since it's an excellent intermediate format that lets you easily work with it in apps such as photoshop, graphicconverter, gimp, etc.

Is there any reason why an Automator workflow to do the conversion doesn't sit well with you?
Only that I haven't messed with Automator yet, although I will start messing with it sometime. And hey, I think we're in the SFAA together.

vdrummer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2005, 02:41 AM

Well, I wrote my initial post like I did because I figured a sys pref or other simple change would be the easiest way, and simpler than add-ons for the six Macs I'm responsible for. Since it looks like there isn't an easy preference change, it's on to automator or folder actions; thanks for the suggestions, and thanks malique for trying to just answer the question in the first place.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mportuesi
But it still makes sense for Apple to default to PNG, since it's an excellent intermediate format that lets you easily work with it in apps such as photoshop, graphicconverter, gimp, etc.
Isn't all of the above true of PDF too? I prefer PDF because it has a "real" size (resolution independent), where rasterised formats do not.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
As long as you are claiming things that HE did never write, yes, I'd like to argue. Nowhere in his post he specified a CHANGE IN / OFF THE SYSTEM. Show me different !

-t
You need to go back to comprehension classes - it's clear enough that the original request is "how do I change this in Tiger"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Clive
I prefer PDF because it has a "real" size (resolution independent), where rasterised formats do not.
How is a PDF that just contains a TIFF more resolution-independent than just a raw TIFF?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2005, 12:27 PM

You need to go back to comprehension classes - it's clear enough that the original request is "how do I change this in Tiger"
So it is clear to you that "change in Tiger" automatically and exclusively means to tweak the underlying OS ? Dude, whatever...

-t

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 12:53 PM

The only thing that bugs me about the PNG format is that annotations via preview only work with PDFs, so you have to convert the PNG before marking it. No big deal, but a hassle if you are sending tons of screenshots to help someone with a programme.

The Folder action sounds like a good workaround.

mportuesi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 12:58 PM

Isn't all of the above true of PDF too? I prefer PDF because it has a "real" size (resolution independent), where rasterised formats do not.
Specifically, image editing apps are more likely to be able to open a PNG than they are a PDF. That's mostly what I meant.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jun 21, 2005, 03:51 AM

See the program in my .sig
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
PNG may be the best raw screenshot format out there
I think it is and I am glad Apple started using it.
Genius. You know who.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 08:27 AM

You can compress it yourself easily enough.
I don't know why... but this little sequence made me lol Oh well.. carry on. It's too early.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2005, 02:13 PM

I like PNGs much better than PDFs so I welcome the change in Tiger. What I can't understand is why wouldn't Apple put a simple preference pane so each one can configure their systems according to their needs. So much time wasted in nonsense stuff while basic functionality like this is still missing.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 02:15 PM

snapz pro uses pdf by defualt

mportuesi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
I like PNGs much better than PDFs so I welcome the change in Tiger. What I can't understand is why wouldn't Apple put a simple preference pane so each one can configure their systems according to their needs..
This is the start of a slippery slope. The Apple UI design philsophy is to try to minimize user preferences to the essentials. If Apple put in a preference pane for everything everyone wanted to customize, the result would be a blizzard of preference panels that you wouldn't be able to navigate, even with Spotlight.

For a good example of where extreme customization panels can lead, check out KDE on a Linux system sometime. KDE is a power-users's desktop, and it has customization options for nearly everything. I am a KDE user as well as a Mac user, and I like KDE, but I often get lost navigating through the literally dozens of preference panes in the KDE Control Panel. Powerful, yes. Accomodating, yes. Confusing, YES.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 10:35 AM

I'd run the risk of confusing some users with too many options as oppossed to forcing people to change their workflow and preferences to match those of Steve Jobs. If the options are there and you don't need them nothing changes for you. But if they are not there and I need them, my user experience will suck more than yours. And that's not fair.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 11:22 AM

But if they are not there and I need them, my user experience will suck more than yours. And that's not fair.
How about you stop whining, install a simple third party app and get over yourself ?!?!

-t

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 11:29 AM

How about you stop whining, mind your own business and get over yourself ?!?!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 11:31 AM

-t

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 22, 2005, 11:35 AM

I'd run the risk of confusing some users with too many options as oppossed to forcing people to change their workflow and preferences to match those of Steve Jobs. If the options are there and you don't need them nothing changes for you. But if they are not there and I need them, my user experience will suck more than yours. And that's not fair.
As much as I'd like to feel pity for you, no matter how customizable OS X could get and no matter how many options Apple could drowns the users in, there will always be a few little whiners, such as yourself, that will feel oppressed by Apple/Steve forcing them to change their workflow. And their user experience will suck more. And it won't be fair. Forever.

So instead of drowning the users in a thousand+ fairly useless options that 'you don't need' and that apparently 'change nothing' for most users, lets keep the options to a minimum and let the third-party handle the rest.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 11:46 AM

Yeah, and there will always be the brainwashed drones, such as yourself, who'll always be happy no matter what Apple do.
Discerning User: —“Feature X is missing from OS X”
You: —“Who needs it? Stop whining, blah, blah”
DU: —“Apple have finally implemented Feature X”
Y: —“Aren't they the greatest? I love you Apple!!!!”

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 12:44 PM

You're posting on a public message board. If you don't want to make this other people's business, you shouldn't post about it here.

Plus if just installing a third-party app will provide what you're looking for, what are you complaining about, seriously?
Chuck
___

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 12:49 PM

Plus if just installing a third-party app will provide what you're looking for, what are you complaining about, seriously?
I was not complaining. Re-read my posts.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 01:12 PM

Yeah, and there will always be the brainwashed drones, such as yourself, who'll always be happy no matter what Apple do.
Discerning User: —“Feature X is missing from OS X”
You: —“Who needs it? Stop whining, blah, blah”
DU: —“Apple have finally implemented Feature X”
Y: —“Aren't they the greatest? I love you Apple!!!!”
this whole "Apple fan boy this" and "Steve Jobs" that stuff has got to go. And since you've accused me of being an "Apple fan boy" I'll let you know this, i'm not. Not even a little. I use a PC just as much, if not more than a Mac. I enjoy both I think that they're great. That being said.

You like to complain. Unforutately for you, you're not the owner of Apple and actually have absolutely no say in what apple does or doesn't do to please you. So if the OS doesn't function JUST the way you want it to work, that's because it wasn't and won't be made exactly the way you like it.

Rather than cry and whine on message boards about how it should be, you should be intelligent enough (I'm going out on a limb here) to know that many of the things you complain and rant about are available to be solved (FOR FREE) by third party plugins and apps. Apple knows this too, that's why they have an entire section of their website devoted to Mac OS X software and add-ons.

It's like buying a car, you add on the options YOU want or need.
OS X is not perfect, but in general it preforms great and is featureful enough for any average user. It's not quite the dog you make it out to be.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 01:23 PM

I was not complaining. Re-read my posts.
I meant it as more of a general "you." Maybe I should have phrased it as, "What is the problem?"
Chuck
___

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Maybe I should have phrased it as, "What is the problem?"
Yeah, good questions that hasn't been answered yet...

-t

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
this whole "Apple fan boy this" and "Steve Jobs" that stuff has got to go.
Yeah, but first in line to go there's the whole “stop whining this” and “troll that”.
You like to complain. Unforutately for you, you're not the owner of Apple and actually have absolutely no say in what apple does or doesn't do to please you. So if the OS doesn't function JUST the way you want it to work, that's because it wasn't and won't be made exactly the way you like it.
Of course. Which is why, even when I much prefer PNGs to PDFs, I've been advocating for options and preferences so users can adapt the way the OS works to their likings as much as possible. Big freaking deal.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 22, 2005, 04:13 PM

Yeah, but first in line to go there's the whole “stop whining this” and “troll that”.

Of course. Which is why, even when I much prefer PNGs to PDFs, I've been advocating for options and preferences so users can adapt the way the OS works to their likings as much as possible. Big freaking deal.
Unfortunately for you, a good UI is one that doesn't bog a user down with too many choices or options. Apple offers the options that are most used by the average user. Third-parties catter to the rest that don't like it.

If Apple were to add rarely used options such as 'screenshot image format' for all the possible little things that a power-user could ask for, the Preferences panes would be cluttered beyond anything ever seen.

It might become a power-user's wetdream but also an average user's nightmare since he'll have to read through them all.

Stefdar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 10:12 AM

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type pdf

you need to logout and back to activate.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 10:47 AM

Hold on; you're advocating feature-creep, bloat, and overcrowded Preferences dialogs?

Who are you, and what have you done with mAxximo?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 10:53 AM

edit: i can't read

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stefdar

you need to logout and back to activate.
That doesn't work in Tiger, does it ?

-t

Stefdar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 11:09 AM

Actually it works ONLY in Tiger, and it is a terminal command for those who may ask.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hold on; you're advocating feature-creep, bloat, and overcrowded Preferences dialogs?

Who are you, and what have you done with mAxximo?
Heh, no, I definitely don't need more bloat in this system. But i.e. the Finder could use a much better preference pane IMO. Hide the advanced options in a different tab if you want but things like the screen capture format (which geek aristocrats can easily change with no effort, what a shocker) should be present in one way or another for the rest of us trying to use this beast as if it were a Macintosh, if you know what I mean.

Stefdar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 11:16 AM

And also it works with
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type gif

which is what I have tested so far, although I am sure there are more formats supported.

Forum Links
Forum Rules