Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you miss the 56k modem in the MacBook Pro?

View Poll Results: Do you miss the 56k modem in the MacBook Pro?
Poll Options:
Yes 19 votes (13.97%)
No 117 votes (86.03%)
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll
Do you miss the 56k modem in the MacBook Pro?
dndog
Apr 24, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by sledsbehave
the fact that you and one other person are the only ones complaining about the "missing modem" should give you a real life statistic on how many people buying $2700 laptops need a modem.

there are so many things to take into consideration for this "poll" that i don't buy the 17% deal to be an accurate one. such as, what percentage buy are laptop owners? what percentage need a modem for travel only?

maybe we should take a poll for this site, how many people miss the modem from the new macbook pro's
sledsbehave had a really good idea - why not poll the MacNN userbase to see if they miss the 56k modem in the MacBook Pro. I thought I'd follow up on his idea and create a poll.

Vote away!
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

Ganesha
Senior User
Apr 24, 2006, 08:32 PM

I haven't used a POTS modem since 1997 or so...

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 09:00 PM

Most Mac users aren't going to miss modems because most Mac users aren't corporate users. Most corporate users don't use Macs because Apple does things like leaving out modems.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2006, 11:19 PM

I only use the modem while I'm away from home, which is 70% of the time. It would be a disadvantage to lose a USB port to use the modem, when it can just be built-in.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I only use the modem while I'm away from home, which is 70% of the time. It would be a disadvantage to lose a USB port to use the modem, when it can just be built-in.
I had to send in my PB17 to Apple because its built-in modem broke. Was down about a week.

In contrast, I have a small USB modem in my bag. If it breaks, I can replace it with a simple visit to an Apple Store.

I purchased it -- but have yet to need it. As for it taking a USB port, there are two on the MBP -- and 3 now on the 17 MBP. I use one for a mouse (that's optional. can go with a BT if necessary). I don't see the big deal.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
USB ports are cheap; pop in a hub and you've got 6 more.
Modems are expensive; that port can't be used for anything else.

Look at it this way, the modem port was swapped for a USB port to give the end user more flexibility.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 02:08 AM

5 people still live in the stone age? Maybe people in the backwaters of the US still use dialup but most of the civilized world have access to broadband at home and wireless on the road here in the 21st century. Come join the rest of us in the new millennium.

If wireless hotspots are not available, then a road warrior can use an cellular modem card or pay the 55 bucks for a usb one.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Scooterboy
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 02:22 AM

Half the of the US is still dial-up. Many of my friends won't spend the 50 bucks a month for broadband when the WiFi cafes are free and they can rely on dial up at home.
Really, 3 Mb/s downloads and 256 kb/s uploads for $50 a month is robbery.
The USB dongle modem thingy is lame, but I prefer the extra USB port over a built in modem.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 02:29 AM

Not sure why $50 for a USB modem is such a big problem - I'd rather Apple save the internal space and add another internal USB port.

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 02:59 AM

I'd also like the extra ports and less size, but I do want to throw down that, living in China, modems are convenient. Shanghai's got wifi everywhere, so I'm fine, but even two years ago I used a modem when I first arrived. Never underestimate the things. I'd get a usb one w/o a second thought though.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Most Mac users aren't going to miss modems because most Mac users aren't corporate users. Most corporate users don't use Macs because Apple does things like leaving out modems.
WTF?! You're saying the corporate world doesn't buy Macs because they leave things like floppies and modems out of their machines? That's hilarious.

o_O

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
WTF?! You're saying the corporate world doesn't buy Macs because they leave things like floppies and modems out of their machines? That's hilarious.

o_O
Because Apple stays on the leading edge of abandoning technologies that are still in widespread use by businesses is just one reason. But yes, I am saying that.

I'm not saying that the technologies they abandon (pcmcia, modems) aren't outdated, but they are still useful, and companies aren't going to restructure their operations whenever Apple decides they should jump on the latest bandwagon.

If Apple wants to showcase their design and technological prowess with their professional line of laptops, that's fine... But if they want to gain more traction in the corporate world, they should also have a business oriented line with different priorities.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 10:47 AM

I purchased the modem dongle. To me, it was a no brainer. You have to plug in a cable to your laptop anyways. I use a BlueTooth mouse when I'm not using the touch pad so I still have a USB port available.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

cambro
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 12:42 PM

Just out of ignorance...

Why do corporate users depend on modems???? I thought time was money and all that...

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 01:08 PM

so are we suppose to leave it to the corporate world to tell us when something is outdated?

we'd still be using 5 1/4 floppies if that was the case, it cost too much to upgrade machines, every 10 years is a nice span for upgrades in the corporate world.

somebody has to move things along, Apple is usually the ones to do that...

i doubt very seriously Apple just did this without checking and researching how it would effect users.

i think the poll proves, most are ready to move on or at the very least use a usb modem.
as ever,
sonny

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sledsbehave
so are we suppose to leave it to the corporate world to tell us when something is outdated?
No, because Apple doesn't cater to the corporate world. If they did, they wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on dropping modems and pcmcia.
Originally Posted by cambro
Why do corporate users depend on modems???? I thought time was money and all that...
I gave some scenarios in the other thread.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2006, 02:31 PM

there were only two usb ports and a modem before, now they added a third usb and no modem...plug in the usb/modem adapter and what do you have?

two usb ports and a modem... this is a ridiculous argument, id understand if there was no way to connect your modem, but there is.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by dndog
sledsbehave had a really good idea - why not poll the MacNN userbase to see if they miss the 56k modem in the MacBook Pro. I thought I'd follow up on his idea and create a poll.

Vote away!
I miss G3s, too.

kw14
Apr 25, 2006, 06:45 PM

Damn you Apple! Why can't I plug in my ADB joystick???

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2006, 06:59 PM

I seldom use my modem, but it's great to have it when I need it. A laptop should have all of the viable communication tools built-in. Carrying around another accessory (even if it's just for emergencies) is not a solution.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 07:59 PM

Most corporate users have cellphones with data plans and will never ever use an analog modem.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 08:09 PM

Apple was the first to drop the floppy drive, and it compeled the portable storage market to offer better solutions.

Apple is now beginning to drop the modem, and it will compel the communications market to offer better solutions.

I'm not exactly saying "cause->effect" but rather just showing the correlation between the facts. I'm sure in a couple years' time we'll see either new, reliable technologies to replace the modem or a substantial price reduction in current ones.

The question is not "why did Apple drop the modem?", but more like "did Apple drop the modem at the right time?"

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2006, 10:07 PM

I haven't used a modem since... 1997, I think. I suppose I could see where it could be useful, but such rare occurances could certainly be handled by a dongle, at least in my case.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 10:32 PM

i kinda feel sorry for modem users, first you have to wait, wait, wait, wait, wait for a page to load or wait, wait, wait, wait, wait for yr email to load...

and now...

you have to plug something into yr laptop in order to wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...

while the rest of us have wireless data plans and broadband wireless heaven...

come join us, it's 2006, not 1996
as ever,
sonny

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 10:40 PM

No, because Apple doesn't cater to the corporate world. If they did, they wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on dropping modems and pcmcia.

I gave some scenarios in the other thread.

everyone i know in the corporate world complain that their home internet isn't as fast as the corporate internet... something tells me they aren't using modems...

it's such a simple thing, buy the usb modem, i'm sure "the corporation" can afford an extra $50
as ever,
sonny

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 12:51 AM

I got the modem for the occasional faxes I need to send/recieve and for use when traveling. I would rather have it built in, but it's just another cable (tm) that I keep in my computer bag.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2006, 01:06 PM

I haven't used the built-in modem in 2 years, when I was sending faxes and the fax machine was down. In fact, I don't even know if the modem works in my current computer (12" PBG4). But it is everyday that I wish I had another USB port.

Apple was also the first to drop the serial port the same time they dropped ADB with the first iMac in '97. Remember when Epson sold USB-parallel adapters because they didn't have USB printers yet? There was a lot more uproar when they dropped SCSI and put firewire in their Macs. Everything moves forward.

grendel99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 02:00 PM

ibook+scanner = fax machine

For those rare moment when I need to fax a signed document the modem is a useful item that allows me to operate without a fax machine at home.

ehunt
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 04:14 PM

Just to add some Canadian flavour, I haven't used the modem on my PB in 2 and 1/2 years...and that was only because I was visiting friends in the States who were on AOL Dial-up! Canada leads the G7 in broadband so it's pretty rare I'm somewhere without high-speed so the move by Apple certainly seems to make sense up here...and I have ordered the 17 inch monster as well!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2006, 06:59 PM

Users who miss the modem should consider themselves lucky. At least you have an OPTION.

I liked the old 135 degree screen opening and 99.89 DPI of my 17" G4, but there's nothing I can do to change those.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
Users who miss the modem should consider themselves lucky. At least you have an OPTION.

I liked the old 135 degree screen opening and 99.89 DPI of my 17" G4, but there's nothing I can do to change those.
You could just keep using your perfectly fine 17" PowerBook G4...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
Has the opening angle of the new 17" been confirmed?
Why is 116.54dpi a problem for you?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Has the opening angle of the new 17" been confirmed?
Why is 116.54dpi a problem for you?
No it hasn't been confirmed, but odds are it will be the same.

116? Argh, even worse! I thought the 15" would have a higher dpi than the 17". The 15" was too small. If OSX 10.5 has good UI scaling then it won't me much of a problem, but as of now things are way too small for a laptop screen.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Forum Links
Forum Rules