Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Need rapid advice on iPod dock to home stereo

Need rapid advice on iPod dock to home stereo
waterbuck
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 10:05 AM

Hi
I need some advice, as I'm getting ready to hold a party tomorrow, and use my iPod as the music provider.

I have 3 choices, and I'm trying to sort out if I should run out quickly and buy a dock that uses the bottom port of the iPod as opposed to the earphone jack.

Here are my 3 options

1. I can run my iPod to some fairly large computer speakers with a woofer (that system requires me to run a cord directly from the iPod earphone jack to the speakers. Generally this sounded loud enough when we tested it, but the sound was muddy for som very demanding songs ("Mr Brightside" by the Killers) got incredibly muddy.

2. I can use a Y-cord and go from the headphone jack to the larger home stereo receive and speakers (requires moving more stuff). It sounded a bit clearer than #1.

3. I can buy a dock designed to use the bottom port of the iPod and hook it up to the home stereo.

How much better is the output using the bottom port. If I try to dock to the stereo that way, what are the commonly available systems I could buy locally? (I have Best Buy and an independnet small Mac store here).

If I buy that kind of dock, I suspect that I'd include the option to hook up to the home video system too.

thanks...
waterbuck
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 12:07 PM

The dock will give you line out - better because it outputs the sound at a fixed level, and uses the external amplifier to do the whole job of amplification.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

waterbuck  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 12:18 PM

Hi-
Any recommendations on good docks for the home stereo, with an option to link to TV for video output?

Thanks
waterbuck
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2006, 12:24 PM

The Universal Dock does this, it's guaranteed to work with your iPod and you already know where to find it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules