Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding wifi/bluetooth to Mac Pro

Adding wifi/bluetooth to Mac Pro
Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2006, 01:47 AM

I picked my Mac Pro up in store, so I didn't have the option to build to order wifi and bluetooth, and now I'm considering adding it. Has anyone had any luck finding the right parts for a self install? Or do I have to talk it in to the Apple store? If I take it in, anyone know what they're gonna charge me?

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

ISOsceles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 04:53 AM

from what i was told, you actually now cannot get it installed...maybe its just the ********* apple store people around here, who are rich kids who can afford all their **** but dont know squat about it , dont know what the hell they are talking about! BUT if you find out anything otherwise you shoudl post it....im in the same boat as you

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 05:23 AM

I highly doubt that Apple would actively prevent you from paying them money to install Airport and/or Bluetooth on (in? into?) your computer. From what I know, it simply costs $99 and the installation is free. Or part of the cost. I think.

I wouldn't know for sure, I ordered mine with both.
Linkinus is king.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2006, 08:44 AM

I think it depends on your region. I've heard of people having it fitted with no problem in the US, but in Germany Apple would not sell me the module. I ended up buying one from an Authorised Service Center (as a replacement, not an upgrade) and fitting it myself. It gets expensive though, I think its around $99/euros for the module plus (approx) 25 euro for each antenna.

Xyrrus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by macmad View Post
I think it depends on your region. I've heard of people having it fitted with no problem in the US, but in Germany Apple would not sell me the module. I ended up buying one from an Authorised Service Center (as a replacement, not an upgrade) and fitting it myself. It gets expensive though, I think its around $99/euros for the module plus (approx) 25 euro for each antenna.
The antennas aren't already installed in the case? I remember the powerbooks had antennas in them regardless of if you ordered with or w/o a wifi card.

Seems like Apple is oddly mum on this issue, given that their base config does not include the two radios that are standard on every other mac out there. I'd also much prefer to just buy the kit and install it myself, rather than trudge through the mall with my Mac Pro. I'll probably wait until the new year for just that reason. I'm also curious about if the card supports 802.11n - My old b router is dying any I'm thinking about putting all the wireless stuff in my house on n.

-Xy

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus View Post
The antennas aren't already installed in the case? I remember the powerbooks had antennas in them regardless of if you ordered with or w/o a wifi card.
Nope, the antenna cables are installed, but not the antennae; which are plugged into sockets on the rear panel of the power mac. One for bluetooth (a short stubby thing), and one for airport (a small dipole on a stick). There are some good pictures here: ..:: Pomme Grenette - [English] Bluetooth installation in a PowerMac G5 ::..

Xyrrus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2006, 01:49 PM

Nope, the antenna cables are installed, but not the antennae; which are plugged into sockets on the rear panel of the power mac. One for bluetooth (a short stubby thing), and one for airport (a small dipole on a stick). There are some good pictures here: ..:: Pomme Grenette - [English] Bluetooth installation in a PowerMac G5 ::..
Ahh, of course. I've seen those before, and I know I have at least one kicking around at work. Well I'll stop by the Apple store on the way home and ask some questions.

-Xy

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2006, 09:50 PM

I was told that the installation for Airport and BT would be better to do in store. Stores in this area will install it same day that you come in within 30-45 mins.

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 03:42 PM

Those external antennae were done away with on the Mac Pro, and the later G5 Powermac.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 09:27 PM

I know that when the MacMini came out Wireless was optional as well. I was a Mac Genius at the time and the price of the wireless upgrade included installation - I think it was around $50, but it was a while ago so I can't be sure. I would check with your local Apple Store and see if they offer the upgrade.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 11:22 PM

Charged $73 for the Airport & bluetooth installation + parts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules