Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Are outgoing firewalls like Little Snitch necessary?

Are outgoing firewalls like Little Snitch necessary?
brco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2007, 01:34 AM

If there is no known or viable spyware for my Imac Intel 20" why do I need an application such as Little Snitch to keep me safe? Why do I need an application to keep the bad guys from phoning home if there aren't (supposedly) any bad guys? Do I really need a program to tell me Firefox or Turbotax or OS X is checking for updates?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 02:31 AM

No. I don't even use an app like that on 'dows.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 03:02 AM

It is not necessary. It is occasionally useful if you are concerned about applications phoning home.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 03:36 AM

I was always a little weary of applications which stored sensitive notes having the ability to phone home. The only reason I run the Snitch.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 05:22 AM

I love it. In Safari when I go to sites like tv.com it wants to connect to some server on a X,XXX port for some odd reason (ads) so I deny it. Very useful for controlling what goes out of your computer. Of course apps like Skype, World of Warcraft have to be given free range since they connect to unlimited number of nodes and servers.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 10:08 AM

There are ways of exploiting OS X but they are below the radar of most of the anti-virus apps like NAV and ClamXav.

Little Snitch would be useless against even basic malware implemented via an InputManager...

These types of apps do exist but not on a wide scale. They are used mostly in targeted situations against specific targets.
This is even worse than the situation in Windows because at least there are tools to remove and detect PC malware.

On the Mac no one believes that there is any such thing, so there are no protections for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules