Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB and line across the top problems-curse of the malfunctioning RAM slot?

USB and line across the top problems-curse of the malfunctioning RAM slot?
waterbuck
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2007, 11:31 PM

Hi
I got a 1.67 GHz Aluminum Powerbook in February of 2005. It has been running 10.3.9 forever. I did throw in 160 GB hard drive (I replaced it following instructions) about 3 months ago. Some intermittent problems have emerged over the last 6-8 months. I am in the middle of a crunch project and mostly I get decent performance but I'm worried that something is slowly getting worse and I have to decide whether to interrupt work and call AppleCare and investigate of not.

Performance is intermittently slow, and as it turns out, the 512 MB RAM chip in the lower slot is intemittently not recognized when I check "About this Mac". So sometimes I am on 512 and sometimes on 1 GB.

USB is intemittently nonfunctional, a problem that repairs if I restart the machine.

More recently I have had the curious experience of occasionally (perhaps once every 3-8 days) having "negative images" on that little bar that runs across the top of the screen where the application scroll bars are accessed. When the "negative image" appears, I can't consistently access the scrollbars for that application. This peculiar phenom happens sometimes in the Finder or in some other applications (see picture)

There is not a particular increase in crashes since this started happening, but for about 6-10 months the computer has tended to crash while asleep.

So the question is (a) is this likely attributable to the RAM slot defect, which my computer might actually have?

The link for that RAM slot thing is About the PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) Memory Slot Repair Extension Program

And (b) should I rush to send this thing in (and try to work off alternate computer for a few days, which is painful and challenging) or poke along until I get my current big project done in a few weeks?
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2007, 02:19 PM

Lower memory slots failures are common with the PowerBooks, but they're usually permanent instead of intermittent as you've described.

waterbuck  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2007, 02:45 PM

I think I can say the lower memory slot failure is moving toward permanent. It is now very rare that I find that it is recognized.

What I can't tell is whether the failure of the slot in any way would relate to the other possible problems.
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

Forum Links
Forum Rules