Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Acrobat-Reader password protection problem-

Adobe Acrobat-Reader password protection problem-
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2007, 10:21 PM

I've got a friend who owns a construction business. He would like to be able to post his house floor plans on the internet with security protection preventing people from printing the floor plans unless they've purchased the "password" from him. He's already tried to implement this using Adobe Acrobat (windows version) to create the password protected .pdf file, and is expecting his customers to use the free Adobe reader to view the files and print them after paying for the password.

Here's the problem. From within Adobe Reader, we can't figure out how to input the password for the protected file. The "printer" icon is greyed out. Within the security options we can't find a place to input the password. This is true on both PC & Mac versions of Reader.

Here's the funny part. On my mac using the application Preview to view the file, I am able to print the document. After opening the file with Preview, I am able to select "Print." At that point I'm asked to type in the password, which then allows me to print the document.

I have no idea why we can't get Adobe Reader to act in the exact same way as Apple's Preview.

Here's the link to the password protected file:

http://www.midwesthomes.com/bids/townhome.pdf

Using Adobe Reader, could someone tell me how to input the password??

Thanks!

lw

Cold Warrior
Aug 14, 2007, 11:34 PM

I also don't see a method to input the password. When I view the file's properties (Command-D) from within Reader, it shows that printing is not allowed.

Perhaps Preview is just able to implement password input to unlock features.

Forum Links
Forum Rules