Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How low can the US dollar go? (Part 2)

How low can the US dollar go? (Part 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 10:01 AM

A little over a year ago, I asked "How low can the US dollar go?". On May 1, 2006, the numbers were:

CAD: $0.899
GBP: $1.829
Euro: $1.262
Yen: $0.00885
Yuan: $0.125

Today (May 31, 2007) they are:

CAD: $0.936
GBP: $1.975
Euro: $1.345
Yen: $0.00822
Yuan: $0.131

The slide continues, except against the Japanese Yen.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 10:22 AM

I saw we just start using the pound.

From this day forth, my business shall accept payment in British Pounds Sterling as well as in United States Dollars.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 10:25 AM

I've just found some belly-button lint which is worth more than a Yen.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 10:29 AM

So about a cent?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 10:30 AM

Yes. Wanna buy it?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:33 AM

More like how much lower can the US go in general.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 11:05 AM

There are predictions that the CAD will surpass the USD by years end. Bad for business, great for consumers.

Businesses have been dropping like flies in my city within the past month. A lot happen to be US companies pulling out because of exchange rates, and the poor economical state of the US.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 11:06 AM

Unless they are also in business. Or employed.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Unless they are also in business. Or employed.
No ****. I meant it's good for consumers with disposable incomes who will certainly be taking more trips to the US and buying more merchandise at cheaper prices etc.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 11:13 AM

I for one can't wait to see Apple release new Macs and have them actually be cheaper here than in the US

pooka
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
More like how much lower can the US go in general.
We're taking you with us, Bubba.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Yose
Senior User
May 31, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
There are predictions that the CAD will surpass the USD by years end.
I read it will be closer to 2009 that there is parity between US and CDN currency.

What is discouraging for me is the looming rise in interest rates. I've been exploring mortgages as I look towards home ownership and every percent it goes up the worse my options are.
( Last edited by Yose; May 31, 2007 at 03:07 PM. )
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Yose View Post
I read it be closer to 2009 that there is parity between US and CDN currency.

What is discouraging for me is the looming rise in interest rates. I've been exploring mortgages as I look towards home ownership and every percent it goes up the worse my options are.
Ah. My source was my local paper. CBC is probably more accurate Anyways 4 cents more per dollar is really nothing.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 02:11 PM

Ah. My source was my local paper. CBC is probably more accurate Anyways 4 cents more per dollar is really nothing.
A 4% drop is pretty significant, over 1 year, esp. since this hasn't been a one time thing. ie. The US$, which was already dropping, dropped another 4% relative to the CAD$ in 1 year. Also, the drop relative to the GBP and Euro was much higher than 4% in the past year.

I for one can't wait to see Apple release new Macs and have them actually be cheaper here than in the US
Perhaps, but as the drop continues, US component/manufacturing pricing increases. Even the Chinese yuan has risen against the $, and not everything in Macs comes from China either.

For reference, here is the pricing of my May 2006 MacBook.

US$1099 MacBook - CAD$1249 (US$1124, +2.3%)
US$1299 MacBook - CAD$1449 (US$1304, +0.4%)
US$1499 BlacBook - CAD$1649 (US$1484, -1.0%)

The current exchange rate is:

1 US$ = 1.111 CAD$
1 CAD$ = 90¢ US
( Last edited by Eug; May 31, 2007 at 03:31 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
A 4% drop is pretty significant, over 1 year, esp. since this hasn't been a one time thing. ie. The US$, which was already dropping, dropped another 4% relative to the CAD$ in 1 year. Also, the drop relative to the GBP and Euro was much higher than 4% in the past year.

Perhaps, as the drop continues. US pricing increases. Even the Chinese yuan has risen against the $, and not everything in Macs comes from China either.

For reference, here is the pricing of my May 2006 Maybook.
What I meant was paying 4 cents on the dollar isn't a big deal to me; if our dollar only reaches 96 this year. Helluva lot better than the 25 cents a few years ago.

OreoCookie
May 31, 2007, 02:44 PM

I hope quite a bit lower, I get paid in Euros
It's good for businesses which are into export though … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 04:23 PM

Buy Gold!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 05:22 PM

But, but, look at the stock market!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2007, 10:00 PM

A little over a year ago, I asked "How low can the US dollar go?". On May 1, 2006, the numbers were:

June 1, 2007

CAD: $0.943
GBP: $1.98
Euro: $1.344
Yen: $0.00819

I read it will be closer to 2009 that there is parity between US and CDN currency.
Some of the banks are now predicting that the CAD$ will be at par with the US$ by the end of 2007.

I don't quite believe them, but nonetheless that's what some claim.

Originally Posted by Yose
If you are even the slightest bit considering buying in the next little while, then get pre-approved for a mortgage. They're good for 120 days, don't require any commitments, and don't cost you anything (except a little paperwork).

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2007, 10:29 AM

July 6, 2007

CAD: $0.955
GBP: $2.013
Euro: $1.364
Yen: $0.00812
Yuan: $0.132

What I meant was paying 4 cents on the dollar isn't a big deal to me; if our dollar only reaches 96 this year. Helluva lot better than the 25 cents a few years ago.
We're getting pretty close to that 96 cent mark now. (See above.)

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2007, 09:31 PM

How high can the US deficit and/or debt go? Wait until China comes to collect.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 09:50 PM

July 16, 2007

CAD: $0.958 <-- It hit $0.9601 briefly today.
GBP: $2.036
Euro: $1.378
Yen: $0.00820

Originally Posted by PEPPERRULES View Post
How high can the US deficit and/or debt go? Wait until China comes to collect.
It's not in China's best interest to collect too soon. That said, China is diversifying its foreign currency reserves.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 01:02 AM

I am not an expert, but I believe that our trade deficit has something to do with the value of the dollar. We are importing much more than we are exporting.

If we have any experts here, please correct me if I am wrong.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I am not an expert, but I believe that our trade deficit has something to do with the value of the dollar. We are importing much more than we are exporting.

If we have any experts here, please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm no expert either, but you are correct. However, that's not the only reason. For example, having huge budget deficits to fund the war certainly doesn't help. Neither does the subprime mortgage debacle.

BTW, the subprime market is much more worrisome in the US than in other countries like Canada. The reason for this is more lax lending practices in the US.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 09:06 PM

I think the Canadian dollar will be trading at par against the US dollar by early 2008. It was $0.62 earlier this decade.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2007, 10:08 AM

I readWhat is discouraging for me is the looming rise in interest rates. I've been exploring mortgages as I look towards home ownership and every percent it goes up the worse my options are.
If you're discouraged about the current mortgage rates, you may want to reconsider buying a home altogether. Historically speaking, this is about as good a rate as one can expect to find. It's not the lowest that it's been, but it's still pretty darn low.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 10:31 AM

As far as interest rates go, some are saying that the longer you wait, the higher they'll go.

ie. Lock in a pre-approved mortgage now, and then look around again for some houses. If you can get something during the lock-in period, then great. If not, then you have more thinking to do.

Note though it's quite possible that home prices may decrease, depending on where you live.

Mind you, here in Canada, there is no drop in sight yet. Most are predicting either mild to moderate price increases, or a plateau for the near term in my area (Toronto).

Yose
Senior User
Jul 19, 2007, 11:09 AM

As far as my purchase and my pre-approval goes, what is being offered is a 3 & 5yr market-capped mortgage at 7.25ish%. The mortgage won't be needed until around April 2009, and if the rates are still lower at that point I can take the lower rate, otherwise it'll be at 7.25%.

I'll be honest, 8 to 10 weeks ago a rate of 7.25% or higher bothered me. Not so anymore; I've spent a lot more time thinking, reading, talking and planning. The only thing I'm not so confident about is if I want to be tied down to a condo for at least 5yrs (starting 2009).
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 11:14 AM

You won't be completely tied down, you can always rent it out. We just bought our condo in January, and our only potential issue was also whether or not we'd really want to be here for at least 5 years. In the end we decided probably, but that even if not we could make it work.

As an aside, is anyone else having a problem where MacNN is apparently randomly clicking links in the ads? It's been happening to me for a while now in Safari 3, but not with any other website...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
As an aside, is anyone else having a problem where MacNN is apparently randomly clicking links in the ads? It's been happening to me for a while now in Safari 3, but not with any other website...
Yes, that has happened to me today as well--annoying. I'm on explorer.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 12:08 PM

Nothing wrong here on old Safari.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 03:04 AM

Interest rates are still low. Look at the graph that dude posted above.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2007, 12:50 AM

RE: Subprime meltdown - I came across this comparative graph of % of mortgage defaults, in Canada vs. the US.

At least until near the end of last year (no 2007 data listed), defaults were actually decreasing in Canada to close to 0.2%, whereas defaults had started increasing the years before in the US. That said, it's interesting to note that the defaults in the US since the initial uptick haven't changed all that much. They've been hovering around 0.8% for the past few years.

Still, the graph clearly shows the rate of mortgage defaults up here in Canuckistan is 3-4X lower than in the US. That's a pretty big difference, and probably goes a long way to explaining why there is no meltdown up here (yet). It will be interesting to see what happens if oil prices drop though. While home prices are going up everywhere, in some places they've started to level off somewhat (but not drop). However, places like Alberta and Saskatchewan (where there is lots of oil) have seen continued high increases in home prices. If oil prices were to drop, that would be a big pressure for home prices to drop too, and along with that our Canadian dollar would drop relative to the US dollar.

The good news for me though is that with dropping oil prices and a falling Canadian dollar, our local (Toronto) economy might just pick up, because we're more heavily dependent on the manufacturing sector than our Western bethren. That could stimulate home prices... after I have already purchased.

As far as my purchase and my pre-approval goes, what is being offered is a 3 & 5yr market-capped mortgage at 7.25ish%. The mortgage won't be needed until around April 2009, and if the rates are still lower at that point I can take the lower rate, otherwise it'll be at 7.25%.

I'll be honest, 8 to 10 weeks ago a rate of 7.25% or higher bothered me. Not so anymore; I've spent a lot more time thinking, reading, talking and planning. The only thing I'm not so confident about is if I want to be tied down to a condo for at least 5yrs (starting 2009).
I'm a little confused. You're pre-approved 2 years in advance?

Anyways, what are the general posted rates for 5-year fixed mortgages? In Canada they're at around 7.24% at the big banks, but some of the smaller lenders are down at 5.89%. (Some of the big banks will do around 6% as well, if you're a low risk client.)

I lucked out and got a rate significantly lower, but that's because I locked-in quite some time ago, and because I had a very good mortgage broker who went all out trying to get a lower rate.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 22, 2007 at 12:59 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2007, 12:33 PM

July 6, 2007

CAD: $0.955
GBP: $2.013
Euro: $1.364
Yen: $0.00812

We're getting pretty close to that 96 cent mark now. (See above.)
The US dollar slide continues.

July 24, 2007

CAD: $0.965
GBP: $2.062
Euro: $1.381
Yen: $0.00829

So, when are they going to unpeg that Chinese Yuan? Assuming they don't unpeg it, they should at least revalue it again soon.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 11:59 PM

The US dollar slide continues.

July 24, 2007

GBP: $2.062
Euro: $1.381
Yen: $0.00829

So, when are they going to unpeg that Chinese Yuan? Assuming they don't unpeg it, they should at least revalue it again soon.
Sept. 12, 2007

GBP: $2.029
Euro: $1.390
Yen: $0.00876
Yuan: $0.133

The US$ has stayed stable or slightly lower vs. most of these, but has risen against the Pound.

P.S. I was in the US last week, and it sure was nice having a C$ near par to the US$. Made for some good shopping and eats...

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 13, 2007, 07:01 AM

Let the US dollar slide below the Canadian dollar.
That'll bring US manufacturing sent to Canada back to the US.
It'll make US goods competative for export. And European goods too expensive.
And tourism too expensive.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 11:14 AM

The US - the new Mexico!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
Let the US dollar slide below the Canadian dollar.
That'll bring US manufacturing sent to Canada back to the US.
It'll make US goods competative for export. And European goods too expensive.
And tourism too expensive.
Why do we want tourism too expensive?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 11:32 AM

Sky Captain means (I think) that leaving the country will be too expensive for people earning in a declining currency. Domestic tourism, one presumes, will be more affordable. I'm not certain why 'we want' this.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks, I did gather that. I'm asking why it's a good thing for us to not be able vacation in other countries affordably.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Thanks, I did gather that. I'm asking why it's a good thing for us to not be able vacation in other countries affordably.
Because the money we spend in other countries leaves the US rather than staying here and bolstering our economy.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 12:00 PM

So not good for the vacationer (less choice)? Trashing the US economy to the extent that the would-be-vacationer from the US is too poor in global terms to leave the country seems like a harsh way to bolster the US economy.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 12:15 PM

That's basically my thinking, peeb.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
So not good for the vacationer (less choice)? Trashing the US economy to the extent that the would-be-vacationer from the US is too poor in global terms to leave the country seems like a harsh way to bolster the US economy.
Indeed. It would be a horrible way to go about it. But from a purely economic standpoint, it's best if people don't leave the country.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 12:26 PM

Realistically, I wonder if it doesn't just cause people to postpone their vacations or resign themselves to spending more (taking even more money out of the economy).

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Realistically, I wonder if it doesn't just cause people to postpone their vacations or resign themselves to spending more (taking even more money out of the economy).
For some people, possibly. But for a lot more people I bet they'd just choose to take their vacations within the US or just buy something nice and stay at home.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 13, 2007, 02:04 PM

Bingo.
And it will bolster tourism from European tourists to the US.
Their money will go further.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 07:12 PM

That's also a consideration, yes, but obviously it does not solve the US's deeper economic woes. There is a reason the US buck is declining, and a boost in tourism alone isn't going to solve them.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 07:21 PM

That's also a consideration, yes, but obviously it does not solve the US's deeper economic woes. There is a reason the US buck is declining, and a boost in tourism alone isn't going to solve them.
Obviously the solution is to give business a cash infusion.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 08:01 PM

Okay, we have Kevin in another thread arguing that Taiwan is part of China, and we have Sky Captain here arguing that it is a good thing that Americans can't afford to vacation abroad. What's up with you guys?
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules