Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pretty much getting screwed by apple on a repair, ideas?

Pretty much getting screwed by apple on a repair, ideas?
mblchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 05:28 PM

A bit of backstory first:

I purchased an ibook G4 14" in novemeber. I noticed the frame bezel was essentially broken (it barely held the screen) so I sent it in for repair. They had it for nearly a month to wait on a part and they said it was repaired and sent it back in late December. However, they didn't actually install the part and thus didn't fix the problem. After some complaints to Customer Relations they replaced it with another laptop of the same model.

Then in May the screen on the new one started having problems. Two rows of pixels completely died about 2/3 down the screen so I promptly sent it back. A week later it was returned with the LCD replaced, BUT not only did the new LCD have a half inch scratch on it but it was also filthy (like, some of it was a light brown because of dirt). I didn't have time to send it back due to exams and work so I just held on to it. Now it's July and I noticed 4 white spots developed on the screen (gradually, not suddenly). I sent it in yesterday and received a message today saying it's not due to a manufacturer defect and that they won't fix it under warranty. In fact, they want $775 to replace the LCD for me. This is interesting to me since the laptop has no physical damage and is constantly in a padded carrying case. In fact, the only time it isn't protected is when I'm using it and I'm positive I've never randomly jabbed the LCD a few times. Even better is that other people have told me these spots develop suddenly if due to physical damage, mine appeared slowly over time (they faded in more).

So after talking to Monique in customer relations I was told that their official stance is that they refuse to fix it and there is essentially nothing they will do outside of taking $775 from me to replace the LCD. This is rather absurd, but I have no idea what else I can do at this point. Hence posting here, hoping someone may have an idea. I'm tired of this company screwing with me in regards to repairs ....
kuso: Athlon 1800+, Debian Linux
baka: Athlon T-Bird 750 mhz, Debian Linux
kisama: K6-2 450 mhz Cobalt Raq4, Debian Linux
impo: K6 300 mhz Cobalt Raq3, Debian Linux
yarou: ibook G4 933 mhz, Currently a subject of Apple tyranny

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 06:19 PM

I'd call again and ask another person what they could do, and if it's the same answer, then I would ask for their manage and see what they say. If it's not your fault don't take no for an answer.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2004, 08:45 AM

A whole row of dead pixels hints at a real problem, but if only a few are dead you might try "pixel massage." It worked for me and I've read plenty of other success stories as well. This may sound like folk lore or just good old bovine scathology, but it does work...

Gently rub the dead pixel(s) with your finger. You may have to do this for a couple of minutes. Even if it does not work, try again later.

On my original iBook I got some dead pixels a couple of months after I got the machine. For some pixels it worked right away; for others I had to work at it longer. Still others didn't come back, but did after a 2nd or 3rd attempt.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

mblchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 11:35 PM

I wasn't clear each, by white spots I mean areas of the screen which are much lighter than the rest. Same effect as all the powerbook screens that were going bad on the new models.

Anyways, I called back to Customer Relations and requested the address an attorney should send a letter. After mentioning that they told me that if someone in the store gave a second opinion and deemed it not physical (ie: not abuse to the system) they can override the official stance and have it repaired. I'll try that route when it gets shipped back.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by mblchris:
I wasn't clear each, by white spots I mean areas of the screen which are much lighter than the rest. Same effect as all the powerbook screens that were going bad on the new models.

Anyways, I called back to Customer Relations and requested the address an attorney should send a letter. After mentioning that they told me that if someone in the store gave a second opinion and deemed it not physical (ie: not abuse to the system) they can override the official stance and have it repaired. I'll try that route when it gets shipped back.
Good job!.. I was just about to tell you that maybe when they changed the LCD they got you one from the powerbook�s old provider. You might want to look at some posts with those white spots, and compare with yours. With that in hand is enough evidence (at least for me) that the ones who are in the wrong is Apple.

good luck

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 03:50 PM

Regarding the white spots, it seems very similar to the widespread issues they had with the Powerbooks. You might want to check this thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=188742

villa

mblchris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 05:23 PM

The ibook made it back to the store yesterday so I went in today to talk to someone at the "Genius Bar". He explained that they ultimately had no power and that it made entirely no sense that Customer Relations would tell me what they did. But he ended up shipping it back with an order to repair it by order of the Customer Relations person I spoke to. So this is getting a bit amusing, hopefully in a week I'll have it back (fixed).

Forum Links
Forum Rules