Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Anyone else having a Quark crisis under 9.0?

Anyone else having a Quark crisis under 9.0?
fitz. evans
Dec 14, 1999, 07:49 PM

Quark XPress 3.32 on my PowerMac has become all but unusable since I installed Mac OS 0 (and the updated ATM and ATR). Similar problems--extreme slowdowns, hard drive cranking for long periods even when switching tools or highlighting text, etc.-- occurred under 8.6, but things got zippy again when I
installed DiamondSoft's Font Fixer freeware extension--which does not appear to work for 9.What to do? Are other people having Quark problems? I can't find this mentioned on any tech site, and I'm at a complete loss for how to resolve this Quark crisis.

Robby312
Dec 14, 1999, 11:43 PM

Yes.. have recently installed on 2 9500's both experienced problems, which seem to be font related. Have used sucessfully with the min of fonts open in ATM deluxe OS 9 upgraded

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 1999, 11:55 PM

You both really should upgrade to version 4.1. If not just for stability/compatibilty, for the fact that a lot of users/production houses have gone to 4.x. I have zero troubles (other than those acknowledged by Quark) with OS 9 and 4.04 and 4.1.

Scott

fitz. evans
Dec 15, 1999, 02:46 PM

Thanks. That's probably good advice, if indeed 4.1 works well.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 1999, 03:11 PM

sir fitz. evans saw fit to duplicate his original post to more than one forum so here are the posts from that duplicate (thanks ever so much)
fitz. evans
Junior Member posted 12-14-1999 06:46 PM ��� � ��
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quark XPress 3.32 on my PowerMac has become all but unusable since I installed Mac OS 0 (and the updated ATM and ATR). Similar problems--extreme slowdowns, hard drive cranking for long periods even when switching tools or highlighting text, etc.-- occurred under 8.6, but things got zippy again when I installed DiamondSoft's Font Fixer freeware extension--which does not appear to work for 9.What to do? Are other people having problems? I can't find this problem mentioedn on any tech site. Help!
IP: Logged

wlonh
Moderator posted 12-15-1999 09:38 AM ��� � ��
from Quark Technical Support, on a Quark Forum:
"There is a known problem that can cause a lag of several seconds in QuarkXPress 4.x on Mac OS 9, if a large number of fonts are loading through the Fonts folder or via a font utility such as ATM 4.5.2. This problem has been reported to Quark's QA department for investigation."

fitz. evans
Junior Member posted 12-15-1999 01:43 PM ��� � ��
Thanks. In my case, though, it's Quark XPress 3.32 having problems and the delays are muchmore agonizing than several seconds. It takes as long as 45 seconds just to highlight a coujple of paragraphs of text or switch from the text tool to the pointer tool ...which really does make Quark totally unusable. Whether the issue is compatability with OS 9, or ATM 4.52--or something else--is an open question --one I'm eager to have answered!

wlonh
Moderator posted 12-15-1999 02:08 PM ��� � ��
i would think that, deducing from the info in my previous post, the older the version the more critical the problem... and the fonts issue is likely a greater part of your problem with Quark, meaning that it is likely both ATM and OS 9 that Quark doesn't like.
email Quark tech support daily.
having never used Quark, i can only surmise this is the case... but it does stand to reason, doesn't it? i have no clue how much it costs to upgrade and apparently that would not help except for maybe a bit less of a lag-time in usage... perhaps it is time to give the new(er) version a shot.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 1999, 03:57 PM

Go to Extensis' website and downlaod a demo of Suitcase 8. See if that helps (for now anyway)

Scott

marco114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 1999, 05:56 PM

Since I upgraded to OS 9, quark 4.0.4 was also giving me problems. I have yet to receive 4.1 so I can't check that, but when I went back to 8.6, it completely ridded the problem and several other slowdowns I was having including jerkiness with Quake III.<P>

The problem was when I clicked on a text box, the mac would freeze for about 15 seconds after I clicked out of a text box.

8.6 doesn't have file sharing over FTP, multiplue users, Sherlock II, and other stuff, but at least it's fast.

------------------

wntrdove
Dec 23, 1999, 03:04 PM

Just thought I had something to add. I was experiencing the slowdown discussed in Quark on my brand new G4/350 Sawtooth. I also experienced a small stall when trying to open a file in Photoshop 4.0 (I'm planning on the upgrade but money don't grow on trees) and when quitting out of Internet Explorer 4.5. I found by reducing the size of my font set in Adobe Deluxe ridded me of these stalls too. So perhaps it is Adobe?

Erika

RGS
Jan 9, 2000, 11:49 AM

The combination of OS9 and ATM/ATR has also made my copy of QXP 3.32 unusable.

For those of you who use QXP 4, does upgrading to 4.1 solve the ATM/ATR slowdown?

Thanks.

Linda
Jan 9, 2000, 10:56 PM

I'm up to XPress 4.1. It doesn't really address the slowdown. What worked for me was trashing my ATM preferences and letting ATM build new ones.

Linda

RGS
Jan 10, 2000, 10:33 AM

Even after deleting both ATM and ATR pref's, reloading fonts into ATM, etc., I still experience the slowdown.

Can anyone confirm that using Suitcase to load fonts, ATM Deluxe control panel (without Deluxe app) for onscreen scaling, and ATR for grouping eliminates the stall?

Forum Links
Forum Rules