Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod and mini owners

iPod and mini owners
dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 07:18 PM

I was wondering how many of you own both a standard ipod and an ipod mini. I have a 3G 15g and a silver iPod mini. I am think about selling my 15g on eBay.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by dantley:
I was wondering how many of you own both a standard ipod and an ipod mini. I have a 3G 15g and a silver iPod mini. I am think about selling my 15g on eBay.
Why are you getting rid of the 15gb? How are your first impressions with the mini?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 07:49 PM

Yep, 3G 15GB and a silver mini, but I'll give the big one to my sister. The 15 gigger was overkill considering I have a gig of music, but the mini still has room for files. It's interesting to compare the two in person and hold them in your hands though. It's quite a difference that doesn't come through as much in photos.

jewing80
Feb 21, 2004, 08:19 PM

After only one day with my silver mini I've boxed up my 30 gig and all of the accessories I have for it and am getting ready to put it all up for sale. I really like the new mini that much!

To tell the truth I never really intended on getting a mini. I have about 15 gigs of music and the thought of chopping my library down to 3.7 gigs was painful. Thursday night I decided to see how bad it would be. I went through my entire iTunes Library and pulled only the best stuff from my collection. After a couple hours of thought and contemplation I ended up with the final product. I created a play list and hoped my selection would be under 4 gigs. It turned out to be 2.7 gigs... (600 of my 3300 tracks) I was amazed, I actually went through and verified I had everything I wanted. Let me just say, I have no conceptual grasp of making playlists, so only transferring the desired playlists from my iTunes library, in my case I have like 2 total, was not possible. For those more into the playlist thing, it would be really easy to just select your favorite playlists, I'm guessing. The only thing I had to do now was find out if the mini was really worth the money. Last night I went down to my local Apple store, got my "silver ticket" and went inside to actually play with one.

Before I go any further let me say that I have really been happy with my 30 gig, however the one major complaint I have always had is the damn thing is so pretty I've always been afraid of really using it. Even under the padded protection of a good case I always worried I would scratch it or that it would get finger prints all over it... okay I know the thing is meant to be used but for some reason these thoughts were always in my head.

Okay back to the story. Upon finding the iPod kiosk I realized immediately silver was the right color choice for me. They had all the colors on display, and although they all looked really nice, silver seemed the most subdued. Next I realized how floored I was by the size! Don't let the measurements fool you this things is significantly smaller than the 30/40 gig, even the 15/20 for that matter. It really is about the size of a normal business card, save for the thickness of course. More so than size, the build quality was amazing. The unit was solid as a rock, the aluminum seemed very fingerprint/smudge resistant. I had to have one!

After a 40 minute wait and a hour drive in wonderful OC/LA traffic I made it home! Synced the unit up and have been listening contently ever since. I still have over a gig of free space!

I had fully expected to keep the 30GB but now I really can't see a reason. I don't use it as a backup drive and the additional space is really just a waste for me.

All in all the mini is wonderful, the screen is easier for me to read and the back light is much, much brighter. I'm no longer scared I'm going to ruin my iPod either, this thing feels really tough! Now if Gary Waterfield would come out with a case I would be in heaven!

dantley  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 09:12 PM

I am putting my 15GB on eBay tonight. I had a similiar experience with the amount of music I own and the iPod minis storage capacity. I was able to put all the music I actually listen to on it. It came about to about 2.3GB. I own about 16GB worth of music.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 10:08 PM

Hmm... Seems like to good time to pick up a 3G iPod on Ebay
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

CadetStimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 11:54 PM

I replaced my 10gb iPod with a new silver iPod Mini last night. The device is incredible. I didn't think it was possible to improve on the old design, but I honestly believe they did it. Amazing and ultra-light. I can't even tell I'm wearing it on my belt.

My daughter's happy - she got the old 10gb iPod. Now my son wants one.
Scott :)

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 12:22 AM

If people with that many mp3s are happy with the mini, then my lowly 2Gig max collection will work great! Seeing as how I only listen to about 50 songs on there total...

spectreman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 12:05 PM

I have a 1G iPod and a silver mini. ALL of my music is about 1.43 gigs so it all fits on the mini just fine. I am still going to keep my 10GB iPod and just use that as a firewire external drive.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 01:56 PM

If i am in fact getting a mini I'll be giving my 10GB to my sister.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 02:21 PM

I have said this before, but,
I dont know how people think they will listen to 30 gig's of music.

I mean it would take people literally weeks to hear it all.

30 gigs is way overkill unless, you have a reason to store and transfer allot of files, which can very easily get over 30 gigs quickly.

I bought the min, which is awesome, better than the 3g's. I know the ebay values is going to plummet on them, I bet in a week they will go for around $200, less than a mini.

The minis are just to good looking, small and light. Plus they are hard to scratch.

Very nice.

FOrce
Force

hostvisions
Feb 22, 2004, 03:45 PM

I sold my 3G 15gigger to get the mini. I'll sell the mini when something better comes along.

The mini simply rocks.

SummitWynds
Feb 23, 2004, 02:06 PM

I began my iPod experience the 1st week they were announced with a 5 GB. Last fall I exceeded that amount with my music/audio book collection, so I bought a 20GB. I gave the 5 GB to my 14 yr old daughter who hardly uses it. I got my mini silver last Thursday. This thing rocks!!! So, now my daughter wants a pink mini. So, the 5GB and all the extras I had for it are now on eBay. Oh, yeah, my husband has a 5 GB that I bought him for his bday a couple years ago and my son has a 15 GB. Call us an addicted family. I have thought about selling the 20GB, but can't bear to part with it.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by SummitWynds:
I began my iPod experience the 1st week they were announced with a 5 GB. Last fall I exceeded that amount with my music/audio book collection, so I bought a 20GB. I gave the 5 GB to my 14 yr old daughter who hardly uses it. I got my mini silver last Thursday. This thing rocks!!! So, now my daughter wants a pink mini. So, the 5GB and all the extras I had for it are now on eBay. Oh, yeah, my husband has a 5 GB that I bought him for his bday a couple years ago and my son has a 15 GB. Call us an addicted family. I have thought about selling the 20GB, but can't bear to part with it.
you should keep the original ipod because soon it would become a collectible item.

SummitWynds
Feb 23, 2004, 04:29 PM

I seriously considered it! Its hard to part with them!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 05:40 PM

Hell PM if if you are selling your 3G IPod. I'm looking for one at a reasonable price.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Dr.Michael
Feb 25, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by dantley:
I own a first gen iPod with only 5GB drive. Its still great, the battery runs more than 7 hours and thus is at full capacity (!!!!!!!!!!!) and I use it a couple of times a week.

I load music or audiobooks from my Powerbook whenever I want to replace something. Works great for me.

No reason to replace it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules