Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 Logic Board issue

iBook G3 Logic Board issue
NDBounce
Senior User
Feb 23, 2006, 12:24 AM

I have a friend whose iBook G3 experienced the infamous Logic Board issue last week. While his serial number was within the range that Apple noted had problems, the machine is more than 3 years old, so Apple will no longer offer to repair it (the program expried in 2005). So my friend was a little upset, but decided to buy an intel iMac. He then gave me his old machine, which does not really work.

Before I decide to dissect the machine, I was wondering if someone can inform me as to whether or not it is worth attempting to have this machine repaired. If anyone has had experiences with these machines, can you please give me your advice.

Thank you,

O
B unce!

Ryknow215
Feb 23, 2006, 09:37 AM

I took apart a 12" G3 iBook about a month ago to take a look at a broken logic board. It wasn't too hard to dissect it (althought it was a bit annoying at times) but definitely not impossible. If you follow the guide at ifixit.com, you can easily do it yourself. Just be handy with a screwdriver .

I didn't actually make any repairs to the logic board but after looking at it a bit, I would try to install a new one myself rather than pay to have someone else do it. MHO. Maybe you can find a good price on a used (or even new) logic board on eBay or somewhere else. Good luck!
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Viggen0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 02:49 PM

Is this the first failure on this machine?

Originally Posted by NDBounce
I have a friend whose iBook G3 experienced the infamous Logic Board issue last week. While his serial number was within the range that Apple noted had problems, the machine is more than 3 years old, so Apple will no longer offer to repair it (the program expried in 2005). So my friend was a little upset, but decided to buy an intel iMac. He then gave me his old machine, which does not really work.

Before I decide to dissect the machine, I was wondering if someone can inform me as to whether or not it is worth attempting to have this machine repaired. If anyone has had experiences with these machines, can you please give me your advice.

Thank you,

O
B unce!

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2006, 02:40 AM

Yes. This is the first failure on the Machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules