Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > so, how does one convert a guikit into an intel theme?

so, how does one convert a guikit into an intel theme?
roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 12:48 AM

about to abandon the trusty powerbook and jump the macbook bandwagon. only problem is i truly dislike apple's aqua.

i've a couple of themes i'd like to use on the new book, only thing is, i'm not sure i know how to convert them.

so, if anyone has any info or a link to a handy tutorial, i'll be mucho appreciative.

thanks

roosta

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 06:24 AM

If you ditch your PPC Macs totally, you won't have any themes sans Iridium/Uno. The only way to theme an Intel mac is by replacing elements manually. Much like Themechanger but not automatically. The only way to make an Intel compatible Extras2.rsrc file is by using Extras2Extras2 by Colin Cornaby Direct LInk. I'll give you and example of a possible scenario.

Go to (on a PPC) ~users/library/caches/shapeshifter/*long ass name*/Theme and grab the extras.rsrc, finder.rsrc and the spotlight search files.

Take that file over to the Intel mac and run it through Extras2Extras2 to get an Intel Extras2.rsrc file and save that and the other PPC files to a folder somewhere.

Go to system/library/coreservices and replace the finder.rsrc with the modded one (back up the original).

Go to system/library/frameworks/carbonframework/frameworks/HiToolbox.framework/resources and replace the Extras and Extras2 files with the modded one (back up the originals).

The spotlight file names will have to be adjusted to match what's in the system/coreservices/search.bundle and then replace them (back up the originals).

You'll have to do this similarly for all of the app skins you want changed. (ugh)

*Taking a themepark file and exporting the theme to .dtla to get the themed extras rsrc file has not worked for me*

*Currently, Extras2Extras2 only converts PXM files, no PPATs yet and that means no text color changes.*

It's quite the pain in the arse.....

roosta  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by digitaljames
daunting task explained.
yikes!

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2006, 06:39 AM

@digitaljames : not on intel myself yet, but thanks for the clear explanation - qualifies to be bookmarked IMHO
@roosta : you know the saying : don't shoot the messenger

roosta  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrit Vanoppen
roosta : you know the saying : don't shoot the messenger
oh, i'm not, i'm just having a flashback to the days of duality, guikitty and theming 10.2

who you liking to win the cup?

i'm hoping england win it this time.

ricacu
Jun 11, 2006, 08:11 PM

i want argentina to win so bad
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

Forum Links
Forum Rules