Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sonnet Tempo Trio: Safe to use now?

Sonnet Tempo Trio: Safe to use now?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2006, 02:07 AM

Hey there,
I just got gifted a B&W G3 (OS X 10.3.9, 400 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB Maxtor boot drive), and I thought this would be a perfect machine to set up as a file server... for .mp3's or movies or what have you. So, I went out and got these:

Since ordering the Sonnet Tempo Trio, I've read nothing but problem-based articles... but they're all from 2003/2004, with a much older version of its Firmware, and on Power Macs running 10.2.x. So, basically, does anyone know if these issues have gone away now that it's a few years later? Does my above set-up not look reliable?

Truth be told, I don't really care about the read/write speed of the Maxtor 500 GB (as people are saying the Sonnet Tempo Trio does not always transfer at 133), since it's basically for storage... but one thing that does worry me is that everyone keeps talking about "Deep Sleep" problems. Are these a thing of the past? Do they only matter when you have an attached USB drive that goes to Sleep (I'm not really sure about what "Deep Sleep" is exactly)?

Any way, thanks a ton in advance. See ya,
BD
( Last edited by BoulderDash; Dec 27, 2006 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Ehh... better descriptions.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules