Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Syncing our Apple TV with our iPhoto? Crash... crash... crash...

Syncing our Apple TV with our iPhoto? Crash... crash... crash...
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2007, 02:27 PM

Hey there,
It's been a few months since I've made it back to my folk's place to do a checkup on all their Apple hardware (hooray, Christmas!)... and they've informed me that they haven't been able to sync their iMac with their Apple TV (last year's Christmas gift to them) for a few months now.

Well, I gave it a whirl (for the last 2 days, that is)... and it's true. I can sync any other type of media via iTunes to their Apple TV: Movies, TV Shows, Music and Podcasts... but the instant I try and sync Photos ("Sync photos from: iPhoto")... iTunes crashes. And, from time to time, the iMac crashes along with it (I get that slowly moving dark screen cast that starts at the top and moves its way ominously to the bottom, and then pops up an message that states that I have to hold down the iMac's power button for several seconds in order for it to restart). Again, this only happens when trying to sync Photos. Only then.

Things I've tried to remedy this ridiculous situation... to no avail:
  1. Posts have said that the iPhoto database being corrupt may cause this crash; so I have restarted iPhoto with "alt-command" pressed in hopes of alleviating that possible cause... I've also even used iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild the entire iPhoto database (twice)
  2. Posts have said that having movies intermixed with photos within iPhoto may cause this crash; so I have removed all movies
  3. Posts have said that an abundance of photos within iPhoto (we have 14,7111) may cause this crash; so I have tried syncing solely one photo (using iTunes' Apple TV preference of "Sync photos from: iPhoto > Selected albums > [album with one photo]")

The players involved:
  • 20" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB, OS X 10.4.11
  • iTunes 7.5 (19)
  • iPhoto 6.0.6 (322)
  • Apple TV software version 1.1

Honestly.... what more can I possibly do? This is a pathetic situation. Absolutely pathetic. Any help would be excellent.

Thanks,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules