Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Benchmarking my new iMac: where?

Benchmarking my new iMac: where?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2008, 08:28 AM

Hi there,
Is there a website that I can use as a reference to see the difference between my current iMac:

iMac 20-inch 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5
1 GB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.4.11

And the one that I have on order:

iMac 24-inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.5.2

I looked at running something like Primate Labs Geekbench, but then saw that it costs $19.99. I'm not saying that it's not worth it, but I don't feel like spending that amount just to see once what the difference may be.

Thanks!
BD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 10:13 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 10:33 AM

xbench is way too variable, even the same computer will a fresh restart will vary considerably. Try cinebench

Cinebench 10.1 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2008, 11:09 AM

Say,
Thanks for the tips... I'll be giving them a shot after work (and also, whenever my new iMac ships).

BD

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2008, 02:45 PM

Xbench is poo.

Tell us what you do with your computer and we can probably find benchmarks for those apps on the same or similar hardware.

jfpoole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2008, 02:49 PM

You only have to pay for Geekbench if you're interested in running Rosetta benchmarks or 64-bit benchmarks. Geekbench's 32-bit benchmarks are free.
Geekbench developer

stukdog
May 2, 2008, 02:49 PM

Since it looks like the original submitter had his question answered, I thought I'd ask one more question on the line of benchmarking. Are there any tools out there that can benchmark a Mac as a server? Things like mySQL performance, FTP performance, etc?

(I know there are separate tools out there, but wondered if there was one similar to GeekBench. I wanted to compare a G4 Tower to a Intel Mac mini. I know the mini performs better, just wondering by how much.)

Any thoughts?

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 2, 2008, 03:46 PM

Well, Lets just say I went from:
PowerMac G5 Tower, dual 2.5GHz
4.5GB Ram, 500GB HD
Radeon 9800Pro

To My Baby:
iMac 24" C2D 4GB Ram 2.4GHz 320GB
Radeon HD 2600 Pro

and the iMac absolutely SPANKS it.

I did some testing and if you are interested I will post it later (it's at home), I did mostly video encoding, xbench & photoshop tests.
But this "consumer machine" killed my once top-of-the-line Professional Tower.

You will love the new iMac, the 24" screen is gorgeous (no problems like the 20") and the styling & speed is so slick.

I would dump 4GB in it if you are going to be pushing it hard... RAM is around $80 for 2x2GB sticks and you can sell your 1GB sticks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by stukdog View Post
Since it looks like the original submitter had his question answered, I thought I'd ask one more question on the line of benchmarking. Are there any tools out there that can benchmark a Mac as a server? Things like mySQL performance, FTP performance, etc?

(I know there are separate tools out there, but wondered if there was one similar to GeekBench. I wanted to compare a G4 Tower to a Intel Mac mini. I know the mini performs better, just wondering by how much.)
What's the goal? So you can have a composite score with little to no meaning in any context?
I'm serious, not trying to be sarcastic. What is the value of such a benchmark?

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2008, 07:14 PM

Hey there,
Thanks a ton to all for replying with such great info. Here are some thoughts on the suggestions:

Xbench: Ran well... but really fluctuated amongst three tests. Their results upload never worked, either. So, hmm?

Cinebench: so many options that I didn't quite know if I was running it correctly. I'm sure it's really great, but figuring it out (and having to input your own specs at the start [from what I could tell]) was really kind of a drag. In the end; I never knew if I ran it correctly (admittedly, I didn't want to invest more then 30 minutes on learning it, being that I wouldn't be using it more than twice) and I never got a final screen with any information to note and compare later. So, not for the casual user.

Geekbench: Ran well... and best user interface of the bunch. Also, loved the fact that I could upload my results to their website and into my own personal Profile (so that I could later upload other results of mine, saving me the trouble and archiving it). And, as stated above, I was wrong in saying that all of its versions cost... the base 32-bit benchmark version (which I used) is free**. Now whether or not I'll need the pay-for 64-bit benchmark version to test my new iMac, I'm not sure (considering myself a casual user that's not sure when that's needed).

zerostar, I hear you... and 4GB RAM in the works! Take it easy,
BD

** Primate Labs: Under the "Purchase" icon on the Geekbench product page, instead of simply stating "Geekbench costs $19.95 and you'll receive your serial number immediately after purchase"... why don't you specifically note what you noted above in this post. Just saying; my eye was drawn to that sentence on your website, and it didn't differentiate amongst your product offerings.
( Last edited by BoulderDash; May 2, 2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Explaining "Purchase" confusion.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules