Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I document this with Apple Care?

Should I document this with Apple Care?
Buck_W
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 08:58 AM

One of my greatest fears took place this past weekend. I tripped over the power cord on my PB and it sailed off a dresser (open) and landed on the floor. Thankfully, everything seems to be operating fine, but it did suffer a small dent in the top of the lid. Also, when you close the lid, the PB goes to sleep as it should, but now the lid is slightly bent upwards on the right hand side.

My question is, should I document this with Apple Care? I have the extended Apple Care warranty and my concern is that should anything happen in the future that ordinarily would be covered under the warranty, would they see the bent lid and assume that the "flight off the dresser" just occurred?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:04 AM

I don't think you can "document" an accident with AppleCare. While some may argue otherwise, accidents can cause no apparent immediate damage but have longterm negative effects, therefore giving Apple a reason not to service your machine even if your accident happened months before.

jasonv1
Mar 21, 2006, 09:05 AM

Ugh.

Recent history says that your laptop is now "computer non gratis" with AppleCare.

Just read through old posts and see how Apple often blames anything that breaks on a laptop (down the road) on a fall such as yours (Please note: I don't entirely blame them for doing so).

Any else care to agree with me?
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jasonv1
Ugh.

Recent history says that your laptop is now "computer non gratis" with AppleCare.
So my recent purchase of Apple Care was just a big waste of money???
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 09:33 AM

No, AppleCare is not worthless. it just doesn't (officially) cover accidental damage. Here's a tip: If you have to bring it in for service, find a long-time independent Apple reseller. Depending on where you go and with whom you discuss the repair, a reseller may overlook accidental damage as long as you have AppleCare.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jasonv1
Mar 22, 2006, 11:48 AM

This is really good advice, as I used to help my customers out this way.

If you were a good customer of mine and you came to me (down the road) with an issue I would take care if it.

Please note that if the part being replaced is a core part, meaning it (the bad part) must be returned to Apple, and the core part shows damage, no one will help you at all.

The thing is now that you pretty much have to go through Apple authorized service providers. If you take it to Apple you will most likely be denied server and if you are really unlucky your laptop will start a paper trail that stops ANY warranty service from being done, even from third-parties.

Perhaps one day Apple will offer a 1st part "cover all" warranty, but they don't yet. The only 1st part total warranty I know of is Dell, and they call it "Complete Care".

Jason

Originally Posted by Big Mac
No, AppleCare is not worthless. it just doesn't (officially) cover accidental damage. Here's a tip: If you have to bring it in for service, find a long-time independent Apple reseller. Depending on where you go and with whom you discuss the repair, a reseller may overlook accidental damage as long as you have AppleCare.
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

Dr.Michael
Mar 22, 2006, 12:24 PM

The way to restore Apple Care is to send in the powerbook and let it repair on your cost. After that Apple Care will be valid again.

A reader has reported this somewhere else. He has send in an Apple Care issue and Apple has repaired first what seemed to be an external damage and charged the person. After that Apple has fixed the problem that was under Apple Care for no charge.

Well, the idea with a trusted reseller sounds cheaper...

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006, 12:29 PM

This is why the Mag safe cord is a good thing.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules