Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MSN for Mac OS 9.1

MSN for Mac OS 9.1
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 09:17 PM

I have Mac OS 9.1, and then I went to Macupdate.com and download the msn version for OS 9.1, when I start up the program, a pop up window show up saying that I need to download the newer version of MSN in order to use the program.
I have Mac OS 9.1 My powerbook do not support Mac OS 9.2.2, just Mac OS 9.1, but now I have this problem, help.
I know I can run that version without problems because my parents have the same version on a same OS for almost a year now, so, what can I do to use that version in my Mac??

thanxs
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by I WAS the One:
I have Mac OS 9.1, and then I went to Macupdate.com and download the msn version for OS 9.1, when I start up the program, a pop up window show up saying that I need to download the newer version of MSN in order to use the program.
I have Mac OS 9.1 My powerbook do not support Mac OS 9.2.2, just Mac OS 9.1, but now I have this problem, help.
I know I can run that version without problems because my parents have the same version on a same OS for almost a year now, so, what can I do to use that version in my Mac??

thanxs
MSN or MSN Messenger?

Microsoft just changed their servers for MSN Messenger so that all versions prior to 3.0 or 3.5 (I think) will no longer work.

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 02:27 AM

I have the same problem you have, since now MSN Messenger won't work with Mac OS 9.1.

You will have to upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2, and use MSN Messenger version 2.5 (I think). If you can't upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2 (or X), then you could always use Netscape's "AIM," or perhaps ICQ. However, your parents will need the same program in their computer (AIM or ICQ). While you don't need a browser to use ICQ, to use AIM you will need Netscape.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2003, 09:08 AM

yes, it is MSN messenger, I have a question.... why does it work in my parents computers and not on mine??? something's weird...
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by I WAS the One:
yes, it is MSN messenger, I have a question.... why does it work in my parents computers and not on mine??? something's weird...
It was working for me until yesterday. If I launch Messenger now, it won't allow me to connect fully, and I get a window with the options to "download" a newer version of Messenger, or a "NO" option. However, the newer version only works with Mac OS 9.2.2

I plan to upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2 in the near future, but OS 9.1 is working flawlessly in my 7300. I don't want to screw it up.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Ra:
I plan to upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2 in the near future, but OS 9.1 is working flawlessly in my 7300. I don't want to screw it up.
I don't think 9.2.2 will work on the 7300.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
I don't think 9.2.2 will work on the 7300.
Nope, it won't. 9.2.x is only for Macs capable of running OS X. If it can't run OS X, it can't run 9.2.
Vandelay Industries

jwest
Sep 26, 2003, 11:07 PM

FYI:

MSN has reduced hte # of versions of messenger that can connect for security reasons. Its possible that the only versions that work are for os X not sure.

this is on the messenger for mac site:

System Requirements for latest Mac version

Minimum System Requirements:
iMac or iBook computer, Power Mac G3 or G4, PowerBook G3 or G4
MacOS X version 10.1.3 or later
8 MB available
128 MB RAM
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.2.2, Netscape Navigator version 6.0, or higher

Note: If you are not sure your computer meets these system requirements, please check with your computer manufacturer.

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 04:50 AM

Somebody provided the answer to my problem in the post: "Best way to upgrade Mac OS 9.1 to OS 9.2.2? " in this forum.

It is true that the installer on Mac OS 9.2.2 CD won't work, but a shareware called "OS9 Helper" can be used to upgrade from OS 9.1, then to 9.2.1, and finally to 9.2.2. OS9 Helper has the links to download the updaters needed to accomplish the installations.

It is almost incredible that somebody took the time to create shareware such as OS9 Helper. It means that I can keep on using my old 7300 for awhile longer.
--------------------

Followup on my upgrade from OS 9.1 to OS 9.2.2:

My 7300/400MHz is working flawlessly under OS 9.2.2. I downloaded "Mac OS Helper" to my desktop, and used the two links provided by "Helper." The first link was to a Mac OS 9.2.1 upgrader from Apple (82 MB), and the second, a Mac OS 9.2.2 upgrader (22 MB or so). Mac OS9 Helper requires that upgrader 9.2.1 be installed first, then upgrader 9.2.2.

Mac OS Helper has buttons one can click to have the program performing the upgrades in the order mentioned above. The "installation" will remove the old Extension Manager settings, but one can create a new set during startup (I changed the extensions to "Mac OS 9.1 all," restarted the computer, and then launched Mac OS9 Helper to perform the installations). Since a "Clean Installation" is not performed, the System folder and files are upgraded, but another System folder is not created. It means that you don't have to reinstall any of the extensions for the existing programs in the hard drive. Everything runs as well as before, except that during startup Mac OS 9.2 instead of Mac OS 9.1 shows on the screen.

I change that I immediately noticed is that when the computer is started, it takes very little time for it to load all the extensions. Everything seems to be running as flawlessly as before, so I am very happy about the upgrade. The upgraded MSN Messenger is also working fine now.
( Last edited by Ra; Sep 30, 2003 at 02:38 AM. )

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 07:33 PM

Of course the powerbook support OS 9.2... go to os9forever.com
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Forum Links
Forum Rules