Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > :D 2008 Mac Pro

:D 2008 Mac Pro
cnlevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 12:46 AM

Just got my Mac Pro 2008. second to base model with dual xeon 2.8ghz. i opted for only one 320gb and only 2gb of ram and the 2600 card. I'm waiting for a better card to come out. I also am ordering an 8gb kit of RAM this weekend and 3 1TB HD's. (cheaper when you do it yourself)....and since my surround speakers i had before didn't work i am order a 7.1 theatre system. I want the 30" Cinema display so i'm waiting to hear back if my buddy at best buy can get discounts on apple products, if so that will be mine too.

This thing is blazing fast comping from a windows machine and being i used linux for the past couple months i love the corporate feel of a unix system. The kb is pure sex, but i haven't decided if i like the mighty mouse yet :X even with the 2gb of ram and the crap video card; video editing is so nice.

oh well. pics to come as soon as i get my digi cam back.

mr. burns
Senior User
Feb 6, 2008, 01:32 AM

i wouldn't expect anything better than the 8800GT to be released on the mac side for a long long time. probably not until there is another major mac pro update.

not all who wander are lost.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2008, 08:51 AM

Please, tell me more about your experience with the new computer?
You didn't have a prior mac to compare it to?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

cnlevo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 12:26 PM

i have an iPhone, so i am a pure MAC GENIUS!

rofl...j/k

no i've been around computers since DOS (coded my first program at 9). Went on through windows until winME came out and started on linux. Built numeroud machines. this is my first personally owned mac. I've played around with others, but i was just tired of windows completely. I was dual booting vista and liux for a while and just said screw it an bought a mac pro. Going to school for computer programming (just to get the paper to say i can do it)....anything else?

but if you weren't be sarcastic, then the experience has been great. like a 5 year old at christmas. other then programming i do alot of video editing and 3d rendering, web design...whatever you name it. I would get good with one thing and move onto the next. The only thing i'm waiting on is my memory upgrade. 2gb is not enough for this machine with what i want to run and what apple wants for memory is ridiculous!! So i'm ordering the 8gb kit....took forever to find 800mhz ecc, but a buddy of mine gave me a great website with good prices, about $55 a gig.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2008, 11:55 AM

Received my MacPro. WOW!
This machine is blazing fast. It's cries SPEED everytime i touch the keyboard. Which by the way, i absolutely love the new keyboard. It's finger friendly!

Imported over 2 hours of high definition video footage this morning. This MacPro didn't even hiccup.

Extremely happy with my purchase. And it's SILENT! I can't hear a fan. I love you Mac!

Wouldn't be a good post without at least 1 negative. This isn't really a MacPro negative as it is a OS X negative. Repairing permissions takes FOREVER. and i'm running a beast of a computer. So hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this!

mr. burns
Senior User
Feb 10, 2008, 02:47 PM

you shouldn't be repairing permissions unless something is wrong, so don't worry about that. i love the new keyboards too.

not all who wander are lost.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
you shouldn't be repairing permissions unless something is wrong...
Very untrue. Repairing Permissions is not performed to "fix something [visibly] wrong."

Keeping Permissions repaired is installation housekeeping. Not a technical description, but an analogy might be organizing prior to installations so the installer finds things to be as expected and then organizing again after an install to reorganize anything that the installer may have corrupted. For a more technical description search MacFixIt Repair Permissions: A false panacea? - MacFixIt and Apple.

Many very experienced folks running the Adobe Creative Suites, including me, have found that those of us religiously always repairing Permissions as I described above in the very long run seem to have much more stable operation than folks who do not. We have almost zero of the complaints like "Wah, my application keeps crashing." Ergo I recommend it to others so we will hopefully spend less time trying to help folks out of such problems.

I repeat: Repairing Permissions is not a fix or some kind of weekly process like running Cocktail; it is a an important immediate pre and post installation housekeeping.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Feb 10, 2008 at 09:16 PM. )

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 01:12 AM

repairing permissions...
Oh geez... this was covered in excruciating detail in another thread. Let's please not taint anymore threads with the monotonous minutiae of things like repairing permissions. I just want to get peoples impressions of the new Mac Pro.

Thank you for your cooperation, please come again!
( Last edited by himself; Feb 11, 2008 at 01:27 AM. )
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
Oh geez... this was covered in excruciating detail in another thread. Let's please not taint anymore threads with the monotonous minutiae of things like repairing permissions. I just want to get peoples impressions of the new Mac Pro. Thank you for your cooperation, please come again!
Thanks for the link, but are you the thread policeman? "I just want..."

None of us in this MP thread were participants in the OS X thread you reference, and the subject of repairing Permissions came up here, and was addressed here. Y'all feel free to ignore the verbiage that you find of no use to you.

FYI AppleGirl's comment "Repairing permissions takes FOREVER. and i'm running a beast of a computer. So hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this!" is of interest to some of us (me anyway) for whom upgrades to new MPs and Leop[ard are imminent. Such commentary reinforces my intention to WAIT for 10.5.2 before buying the new MP with its required usage of Leopard.

-Allen Wicks

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2008, 10:28 PM

Installed 10.5.2 on my computer. Everything went smooth.
Regarding the 'repair permissions' problem i was having earlier (slowness). I still have it.

It takes forever!

Maybe 10.5.3 will fix it.
We can only hope.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Regarding the 'repair permissions' problem i was having earlier (slowness). I still have it. It takes forever!
Interesting. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can also check out 10.5.2/RP timing.

-Allen Wicks

cnlevo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2008, 11:30 PM

Installed 10.5.2 as well and all went smooth.

Regarding the KB and the mighty mouse! They are the worst I have ever used. The KB is cool as hell, but it's not functional nor comfortable to me. there is no wrist support. it feels good for typing for about the first 30 minutes, but get into some deep coding and the top of your hands hurt like no other.

and the mighty mouse i'm selling to a buddy for $20 and i feel bad for even making him pay that much. it's a POS!

I ordered the Logitech Laser wireless mouse and kb for mac (not sure the model, but it's the ONLY kb for ONLY Mac that logitech makes)...it will be here tomorrow.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Thanks for the link, but are you the thread policeman? "I just want..."

None of us in this MP thread were participants in the OS X thread you reference, and the subject of repairing Permissions came up here, and was addressed here. Y'all feel free to ignore the verbiage that you find of no use to you.

FYI AppleGirl's comment "Repairing permissions takes FOREVER. and i'm running a beast of a computer. So hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this!" is of interest to some of us (me anyway) for whom upgrades to new MPs and Leop[ard are imminent. Such commentary reinforces my intention to WAIT for 10.5.2 before buying the new MP with its required usage of Leopard.

-Allen Wicks
Thread polieman? Please. I'm just trying to do my part to make sure threads stay on topic, as opposed to derailing them (which I have more or less failed at now, thankyouverymuch).

And regarding AppleGirl's comment on repairing permissions, she never mentioned why, someone just jumped to that conclusion. If it is a fact that repairing permissions is slow for AppleGirl on her new Mac Pro, nothing more needs to be said. She didn't offer a reason as to why she was repairing permissions, and it's none of our concern why; unless she offers a reason and asks for a response, which she didn't. If people stick to the facts and stop making assumptions, this can be avoided altogether.

End of my participation in this tangent.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
...unless she offers a reason and asks for a response, which she didn't. If people stick to the facts and stop making assumptions, this can be avoided altogether. End of my participation in this tangent.
Umm, the response you found inappropriate was to Burns's IMO incorrect statement regarding Permissions repair; not Applegirl.

-Allen Wicks

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by cnlevo View Post
...there is no wrist support. it feels good for typing for about the first 30 minutes, but get into some deep coding and the top of your hands hurt like no other.

Get one of those wrist pads. Typically made of stiff rubber. You rest your wrists on them and the pain should go away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules