Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where Are The Sound Input/Output Devices Stored In OS X?

Where Are The Sound Input/Output Devices Stored In OS X?
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 12:40 PM

I recently downloaded the trial of Screenflick, a screen recording application, but then uninstalled when I realized it wouldn't record games as I was hoping. I now have "Screenflick Audio Device" listed in both the input and output sections of the Sound system preference. It's not really a problem, I'd just prefer they weren't there since I'll no longer be using them.

So, where are these files stored, so I can delete them?

Thanks in advance.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 03:34 PM

...probably in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 11:24 PM

Nope.

I've done a pretty thorough (at least, I think) search in all the System and Library folders with no luck. Oh well, thanks anyways though.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 12:56 AM

There's also Users/Username/Library/Audio/Plugins.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 03:19 PM

If it's showing up as an audio device, you've probably installed a driver, which means it's gonna show up in /System/Library/Extensions.

Use the "uninstall" option that every decent installer should have to remove whatever you've installed.

Plug-ins don't show up as "audio devices"; they're what shows up in audio programs as virtual sound sources or effects.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 09:50 PM

There were two remnants of Screenflick, one in the User Library, which I got rid of a while ago, the other in Extensions. After the restart, which I almost forgot to do and was ready to come and say it didn't work again, the audio device was gone. Thanks analogika.

As for the installer un-install.. I don't know if it had an installer. It may have been a drag and drop application. But if it did, I don't keep those. I delete them after I install the app. Do you suggest I keep them then?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
As for the installer un-install.. I don't know if it had an installer. It may have been a drag and drop application. But if it did, I don't keep those. I delete them after I install the app. Do you suggest I keep them then?
I've *never* seen a drag-and-drop-install extension. Might be that the application was drag-and-drop, but required you to enter a password on first run - in that case, the application itself should give you the option of uninstalling the extension.

It's a good idea to keep installers around for the stuff you've installed, simply for the de-install option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules