Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Confederate Flag, Part II

The Confederate Flag, Part II (Page 8)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2015, 12:48 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2015, 12:53 PM

Andi too smart for me

andi*pandi
Jul 10, 2015, 01:03 PM

Traditionally if someone has died in battle, if they get a statue, and they are on a horse, the horse will be rearing. That's what the internet says, anyhow. If they are injured in battle the horse only lifts one foot. If they die in some boring non-war related way, the horse stands there like a lump.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Traditionally if someone has died in battle, if they get a statue, and they are on a horse, the horse will be rearing. That's what the internet says, anyhow. If they are injured in battle the horse only lifts one foot. If they die in some boring non-war related way, the horse stands there like a lump.
And if they were a shitty person it steps in horse dung.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2015, 03:14 PM

I think a statue of Custer with several arrows sticking out of his head would leave a much more lasting impression.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2015, 06:48 PM

I heard on the radio the fleur de lis is the new target
Is the fleur-de-lis racist?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2015, 09:34 AM

I'm too stupid to know.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 05:10 AM

Seems like the Fleur was pretty benign for a very long time, then it was co-opted by a small number of slavers, now its been co-opted back the other way again as a symbol with quite a good association. You have to be pretty well educated on something fairly localised and specific in order to know that maybe you ought to be offended by it and most people probably aren't.

The confederate flag has never really represented unity or anything like that to the masses. And it seems like its always had similar or greater negative connotations to as many or more people as it has positive ones. Even if a lot of that was stereotyping.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I heard on the radio the fleur de lis is the new target
Is the fleur-de-lis racist?
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm too stupid to know.
If they try to take the fleur de lis, Louisiana will secede.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Seems like the Fleur was pretty benign for a very long time, then it was co-opted by a small number of slavers, now its been co-opted back the other way again as a symbol with quite a good association. You have to be pretty well educated on something fairly localised and specific in order to know that maybe you ought to be offended by it and most people probably aren't.
Exactly. You should see how especially ubiquitous it is in New Orleans.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 12:27 PM

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2015, 12:32 PM

This article was published by the RonPaul Institute.
Ok, I didn't see that coming.

A group called Disarm NYPD was to lead the protest at Fort Greene Park at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday
This isn't really what you were predicting.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If they try to take the fleur de lis, Louisiana will secede.
Really? We can make this happen?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Really? We can make this happen?
No need to expend the effort, the Gulf of Mexico will annex it soon enough.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2015, 02:59 PM

Twitter reacts to President Obama's Confederate flag greeting in Durant - Tulsa World: Homepagelatest

This is the part where I might remind these idiots that it was Republican Governor Nikki Haley that asked for the flag to be taken down, and the NC Congress that complied.

Edit: Also not the most well-thought out move considering the President is black.

Edit 2: OK wasn't even a state during the civil war. I don't think it even participated.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 05:54 PM

Twitter reacts to President Obama's Confederate flag greeting in Durant - Tulsa World: Homepagelatest

This is the part where I might remind these idiots that it was Republican Governor Nikki Haley that asked for the flag to be taken down, and the NC Congress that complied.

Edit: Also not the most well-thought out move considering the President is black.

Edit 2: OK wasn't even a state during the civil war. I don't think it even participated.
I note this interesting tidbit from the OK wiki page
All Five Civilized Tribes supported and signed treaties with the Confederate military during the American Civil War. The Cherokee Nation had an internal civil war.[56] Slavery in Indian Territory was not abolished until 1866
This link tagged in the quote is to a digitized book on OSU website and claims that most of the "five civilzed tribes" owned slaves. (start on page 198)
Confederate Government Relations with the the Five Civilized Tribes
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 16, 2015, 10:13 AM

I note this interesting tidbit from the OK wiki page
Still doesn't make them Confederates.

This link tagged in the quote is to a digitized book on OSU website and claims that most of the "five civilzed tribes" owned slaves. (start on page 198)
I appreciate you connecting slavery with the confederacy, however.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 11:21 AM

Still doesn't make them Confederates.
I was surprised to see that The "Five Civilized Tribes" were slave owners.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 01:37 PM

I was surprised to see that The "Five Civilized Tribes" were slave owners.
Why not? They'd been enslaving people from other tribes for centuries.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2015, 12:26 PM

New Orleans set to remove Confederate landmarks — RT USA
The New Social Media Campaign That’s Encouraging People to Trespass on Private Property and Tear Down Confederate Flags | TheBlaze.com
Memphis to Exhume Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Seriously, you shitheads, quit messing with historical landmarks and digging up the dead. It doesn't change the past and it sure as hell won't help in the future. Also, if you step on my property and try to remove anything, you'll end up in the ER getting rock salt removed from your sorry ass. Twerps.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2015, 07:42 AM

Just like ISIS. Same mindset.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2015, 09:45 AM

I'd just like to say this bullshit. If someone wants to fly the flag, that's their right. And we don't need to encourage vandalism.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2015, 12:20 PM

But it's just "Southern heritage" though ...

Confederate battle flags were stealthily placed on the grounds of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church, and authorities said Thursday they were looking for two white males who were recorded on surveillance camera leaving the banners behind.

Atlanta police Chief George Turner said his agency was working with federal authorities and they have not determined what charges might be levied. Turner said they have not ruled out a hate crime.

The Rev. Raphael Warnock, senior pastor at King's home church Ebenezer Baptist, called it a "terroristic threat."

"It is a hateful act," he said. "I view it as an effort to intimidate us in some way, and we will not be intimidated."

It was the latest volley in the fight over the Confederate flag and Civil War-era monuments ever since a white gunman was accused of killing nine black church members in South Carolina. Statues of the Confederacy have been vandalized around the South, and state governments in South Carolina and Alabama have removed battle flags entirely from Capitol grounds.

Atlanta police officer Gary Wade said a maintenance worker discovered the flags at 6 a.m. Thursday and notified the National Park Service, which operates The King Center.

"Our grounds men were so upset, they took pictures and then they moved them," said the Rev. Shannon Jones of Ebenezer Baptist.

The flags weren't stuck in the ground but instead set neatly on top of it. One was placed on the ground near a bell tower and poster that said: "Black Lives Matter." The slogan has become part of a movement of civil rights supporters who say police treat blacks unfairly.

A conference on the role on black churches in social justice issues has been going on in Ebenezer's facilities. Warnock said the hateful act only strengthens their resolve, and he promised the city would remain peaceful.

Confederate flags have been placed at the King Center before.

"It was disturbing and sickening, but unfortunately not terribly surprising," Warnock said of the latest incident. "We've seen this kind of ugliness before."

King preached at the historic Ebenezer Baptist Church, which is near the new church where the congregation now meets and where the flags were placed.

The King Center complex is near the eastern edge of downtown Atlanta. It is centered on Auburn Avenue, once a bustling center of commerce for Atlanta's African-American businesses and residents.

The center and church are a short walk from the home of Martin Luther King Jr.'s maternal grandparents, where the late civil rights leader lived for the first 12 years of his life.
Confederate Flags Placed Near MLK's Church in Atlanta - ABC News

Melissa Alford says videos show the aftermath of an ugly incident — a convoy of Confederate flag-bearing pickup trucks and their passengers interrupting a black child’s birthday party with threats and racial epithets.

Levi Bush, who was driving one of the trucks, says the videos show the unfortunate ending of an unintentional encounter — one triggered, in fact, by the people at that birthday party.

Whatever they show, the two cellphone videos from the Saturday afternoon incident off Douglasville’s Chapel Hill Road have been seen more than 200,000 times on Facebook. Authorities are now reviewing them to see if anything criminal occurred.

“Officers on scene were given conflicting statements as to what led up to the confrontation,” the Douglasville Police Department said in an emailed statement.

In one of the videos, Douglasville officers can be seen holding back a group of black men and women as at least seven pickup trucks drive off. The trucks’ white passengers wave as the Confederate, American and military flags mounted on the vehicles flap in the air.

“This is a child’s birthday party,” one woman in the crowd can be heard saying.

A second video shows the trucks gathered on a grassy area, and at least one racial slur can be heard. Alford, the woman hosting a family member’s birthday party, said the trucks drove by several times before parking in the field next to her house.

“One had a gun, saying he was gonna kill the [racial slur],” Alford told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Then one of them said gimme the gun, I’ll shoot them [racial slur].”

Bush, the leader of the caravan of trucks, told the AJC that his group is called “Protect the Flag” and is not a hateful one. They “drive around and sell flags,” he said, with all of the proceeds going to veterans or toward purchasing new American flags for those in need.

Bush said his group was leaving a nearby event when they drove by Alford’s home and the partygoers started yelling at the trucks in front of him. They then threw rocks at his vehicle, he said.

Bush said he fishtailed while trying to drive away, then ran over a median and got a flat tire. When he pulled into a nearby driveway, the partygoers swarmed and made threats, and his friends backed him up, he said.

“Basically about eight of us had to hold 15 to 20 of them back,” Bush said, admitting that a specific racial slur was likely used by members of his group.

Someone called 911 and police eventually arrived to separate the factions. Authorities said neither side claimed anything physical took place, and no injuries were reported. They are now reviewing videos to “see if any criminal activity occurred.”

Alford said she doesn’t care if people want to “ride around with their flags,” but said the incident went too far. She said she hasn’t stayed at her home since the incident.

“I don’t have a problem if that’s their culture,” Alford said. “… If they want to make a statement that these flags mean something to them, I’m OK with that. But you’ve got to do it right. You can’t go around just blatantly terrorizing people.”
Stories differ in Douglas County Confederate flag flap | www.ajc.com

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2015, 12:24 PM

Obvious black flag operation

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2015, 05:53 PM

"Just"? That man isn't filled w/ straw at all, no sir.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
But it's just "Southern heritage" though ...

Confederate battle flags were stealthily placed on the grounds of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church, and authorities said Thursday they were looking for two white males who were recorded on surveillance camera leaving the banners behind.

Atlanta police Chief George Turner said his agency was working with federal authorities and they have not determined what charges might be levied. Turner said they have not ruled out a hate crime.

The Rev. Raphael Warnock, senior pastor at King's home church Ebenezer Baptist, called it a "terroristic threat."

"It is a hateful act," he said. "I view it as an effort to intimidate us in some way, and we will not be intimidated."

OAW
If it were me I'd chuckle, then pick up the flags and throw them in the trash (Or better yet sell them since the price has gone up like AR 15 ammo). And that would be the end of it. There would be no going to the media, no going to the police, no going to the FBI or Terrorist task force...

Unfortunately these bottom feeder pranksters want attention, and the people who want to make a federal case of this as a "terrorist threat" are just the same kind of bottom feeders that want to give them that attention... As well as probably wanting to capitalize on some that attention for themselves in the form of sympathy.

I wondered what the next national debate of deep thought would be once the gay marriage fight died down. I guess fighting over a piece of cloth is it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2015, 11:36 PM

Saw an elderly black man selling rebel flags at the flea market today, he had lots of them, it made me chuckle.

Prices have regulated now on them too, BTW, companies have ramped up production to meet the huge demand so they're now priced about where they started (@$10 each for a 3'x5' flag). As I mentioned before, it was rare for me to see one flying around here before all this stupidity started, now they're everywhere and the many of the Northerners who live in the area aren't happy about it.

"When is this going to stop?"
"It probably won't, at least not until the progressives in other parts of the country get their damned noses out of regional politics."
*grumble*

Hell, even my mechanic put one up at the garage (a small one), and he's a recent European immigrant.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2015, 10:38 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2015, 10:47 AM

Crummy headline. "It's" refers to the entire war, not the flag.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2015, 10:53 AM

Crummy headline. "It's" refers to the entire war, not the flag.
They are inexorably linked.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2015, 10:57 AM

They're not so inexorably linked you can use one as a replacement for the other in the subject of a sentence.

Especially... when you're frigging quoting someone.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2015, 01:08 PM

They're not so inexorably linked you can use one as a replacement for the other in the subject of a sentence.

Especially... when you're frigging quoting someone.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who looked and thought, "WTF?"

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2015, 01:29 PM

WRT Burns' commentary...

I feel like the Civil War is unique in that people feel the need to limit themselves to a single word descriptor for why it was fought, and somehow that single word isn't "money".

As in the single word you'd use to describe why every other war was fought... ever.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2015, 11:21 AM

UT-Austin removes Jefferson Davis statue | | Dallas Morning News
“What has happened was a cultural atrocity — this is a desecration of art,” said Kirk Lyons, the lawyer for the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Lyons compared Sunday to Pearl Harbor, saying the Sons of Confederate Veterans had lost a battle but not the war.

“Hiroshima is coming,” Lyons said. “Greg Fenves will rue the day.”

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2015, 05:35 PM

"That damned statue was evil, it looked at me funny!"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2015, 11:53 AM

From the Southern Poverty Law Center's FaceBook page.
https://www.facebook.com/SPLCenter/p...53463154949700
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 10, 2015 at 05:39 PM. )
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2015, 12:08 PM

I wonder if Doofy changed his sig.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2015, 05:52 PM

It looks like Doofy's last post was over three years ago. (Jan of 2012) Big Mac's last post was July of 2012.
45/47

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2015, 06:33 PM

At some point in time almost every people had been enslaved. It's a sad part of history but let's not try to rewrite history or erase the bad things and whistle past the graveyard because if this were to perpetuate there'd be nothing left of any country. We all need to embrace each other as brothers and sisters and stop pointing fingers.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
At some point in time almost every people had been enslaved. It's a sad part of history but let's not try to rewrite history or erase the bad things and whistle past the graveyard because if this were to perpetuate there'd be nothing left of any country. We all need to embrace each other as brothers and sisters and stop pointing fingers.

sscreener
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2015, 07:38 PM

Gone because I outed him.
By the way, taking as truth by a certain poster without a bit of research is poor form.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by sscreener View Post
Gone because I outed him.
By the way, taking as truth by a certain poster without a bit of research is poor form.
Hardly.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2015, 05:10 PM

Looks like the authorities aren't buying what these knuckleheads are selling ....

A group of white men and women who drove trucks flying huge rebel flags to a black child's birthday party near Atlanta were charged with terrorist threats and gang activity, prosecutors announced Monday.

Fifteen members of a group called Respect the Flag drove around Douglasville, Georgia with multiple Confederate flags on each vehicle on July 25. The 10 men and five women drove through a black neighborhood and then stopped outside a child's birthday party at about 3:30 p.m.

Party attendees allege that the group threatened the guests with violence and yelled racial epithets.

A Douglas County grand jury charged all 15 defendants with terroristic threats and with violating the state's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act.

Two men, Joe Hood and Thomas Summers, were also charged with battery for a separate incident the same day at a gas station in an area of Douglas County known as "the Corn Crib."

Members of Respect the Flag have previously told local media that the crowd at the birthday party initiated the confrontation by throwing rocks. Attendees at the party said the people in the trucks started the trouble.

The woman who owns the home where the party occurred did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

Members of Respect the Flag could not be reached for comment.
Rebel Flag Fans Face Gang Charge for Crashing Black Kid's Party - NBC News

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2015, 09:41 AM

That said, it looks the like they're charging them by abusing a law into an overbroad definition. Not exactly reassuring.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2015, 12:25 PM

You know ... because these fools who are so enamored with the Confederate flag are such upstanding citizens fighting for their "southern heritage".

A man is charged after allegedly setting off an explosive at a Mississippi Walmart Sunday morning.

Marshall W. Leonard, 61, of Tupelo, will be charged with placing an explosive device. Under Mississippi Code 97-37-25 he could get life in prison if convicted, the Tupelo Daily Journal reported.

Tupelo Police Chief Bart Aguirre said a vehicle pulled up to an entrance of the Walmart in North Gloster around 1:30 a.m. CT.

“A white male got out, lit the package and threw it in the vestibule,” said Aguirre. “There was an employee on break, and the suspect told him, ‘You better run.’

“The employee did run and was away from harm when the package went off. It wasn’t a large explosion. It didn’t cause a lot of damage to the store.”

No one was injured in the incident. The remnants of the homemade explosive device have been sent to the crime lab.

A supporter of the Mississippi flag, Leonard railed against anyone who wanted it removed because it contained the Confederate battle flag. He spoke out against Walmart when the retail giant stop selling items that contained the Confederate battle flag.

Last Wednesday, Leonard posted threats on the Daily Journal Facebook page.

“Journal corporate, you are on final warning,” he wrote Oct. 28. “You are part of the problem. As a result of this, y’all are going down, along with Walmart, WTVA, Reeds department store, and all the rest of the anti-American crooks. I’m not kidding. No messing around anymore!”

Leonard was taken into custody after being stopped for a traffic violation. During the stop police quickly determined he was a suspect in the Walmart bombing. Leonard is set for an initial court appearance Tuesday.
Man detonates bomb at Miss. Walmart

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2015, 12:57 PM

You logical fallacies seldom fail to disappoint.

Fallacy: Composition

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2015, 06:33 PM

Times are changing. I'm surprised to hear that New Orleans only has 4 such monuments.

The New Orleans City Council voted Thursday to remove four monuments to the Confederacy.

A large crowd in council chambers broke into cheers after a 6-1 vote to take down statues of Gens. Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard and Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy. An obelisk dedicated to the Battle of Liberty Place will also go.

The vote is one of the strongest gestures yet by an American city to remove symbols of Confederate history. It follows the trend in many Southern states to take down the Confederate battle flag.

Historic societies in the 300-year-old city supported the removal of the monuments, and the proposal was introduced by a majority of City Council members.

But the statues didn't go quietly. Some residents screamed to keep them.

The tipping point for Mayor Mitch Landrieu was Charleston, South Carolina.

He'd been thinking about having the symbols of the Confederacy removed for about a year, when a white gunman in South Carolina massacred black worshippers at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal on June 17. Dylann Roof, the shooter, venerated the Confederate battle flag.

A week later, Landrieu announced the planned ordinance.

According to a City Hall press release, Landrieu said before the meeting: "As we approach the Tricentennial, New Orleanians have the power and the right to correct historical wrongs and move the City forward. The ties that bind us together as a city are stronger than what keeps us apart."

Council President Jason Williams said, "After a long and thoughtful debate on this issue, I am pleased that we have reached a conclusion. Thank you to all citizens who have participated and made your voices heard during this process. We all may have differing perspectives, but share a common love and concern for the City of New Orleans."

The ordinance approved by the council declares the Confederate monuments "nuisances" and calls for them to be removed. Landrieu requested the vote to banish specters of racism.

The statues are unconstitutional, said the proposed ordinance marked Calendar No. 31,082.

"They honor, praise, or foster ideologies which are in conflict with the requirements of equal protection for citizens as provided by the constitution and laws of the United States, the state, or the laws of the city and suggests the supremacy of one ethnic, religious, or racial group over another."
New Orleans votes to remove Confederate monuments - CNN.com

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2015, 11:21 PM

The Idiocracy is almost complete.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Times are changing. I'm surprised to hear that New Orleans only has 4 such monuments.

New Orleans votes to remove Confederate monuments - CNN.com

OAW
Score one for government censorship of ideas and thoughts that I don't like! *high five*

Man, I can't wait for when we're not even allowed to talk about the Civil War! That should solve the racial divide!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2015, 09:45 PM

Up next, lets remove all references to FDR for the internment camps. Ban him! Censor it! Social Justice!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2015, 11:47 PM

Don't forget that pyramid in Memphis TN. That's gotta come down, Egyptians owned slaves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules