Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 15" PRAM questions

PB 15" PRAM questions
spork
Sep 5, 2007, 08:32 AM

Hello all,
got a great deal on a basic bob 15" aluminium 1ghz powerbook, (60gb, 256ram, combo, wifi, original box, discs, cables, etc).
Currently no battery as it is on recall from apple and the new one hasn't arrived yet, so have been using it on wall adapter power only.
It formatted fine, (original disc) and updated no problem right up to panther 10.3.9 and all programs have been working correctly also. The only catches, it refused to keep the date and time and also, wouldn't shut down sometimes, but instead rebooted at shut down command.

No problem, while installing a new DVD-R drive from OWC, i dropped in a brand new pram battery at the same time. I checked the new pram battery and it puts out 6v at the end of the cable plugging into the logic board. The old pram battery did not produce anything at the cable, indicating that's a factor

Here is the crux. Should it keep the date and time, even with no battery and disconnected from the wall? I thought that is the job of the pram battery. Mine still won't keep the date and time when unplugged, although the shut down problem is gone. Do I need to have a battery in it at all times for keep this info? Does the logic board, which passed the extended AHT, have problems? Maybe I should just keep using it with auto clock set and hook up to networks at startup.

Thanks for any and all help from those who are knowledgeable and those who beat their heads against the wall at some point.
Mac on.
( Last edited by spork; Sep 5, 2007 at 08:42 AM. )
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

Forum Links
Forum Rules