Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Fallout: Little Lamplight Glitch?

Fallout: Little Lamplight Glitch?
subego
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2010, 11:47 PM

Does anyone have experience with this on the PS3? Was it patched? Edit: seems to be!

From what I understand, if you hit Little Lamplight before the main quest takes you there, the dialogue options which get you into the vault never trigger.

Well, I went to Little Lamplight. Several hundred deleted saves ago.

I understand you can get past it with a clipping cheat, but would imagine that's not available on a console version.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 17, 2010 at 01:21 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 09:30 AM

I haven't played in a while, but I do remember that glitch, yes. You don't *have* to go to Little Lamplight to complete the game, though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2010, 12:30 PM

You don't *have* to go to Little Lamplight to complete the game, though
Yes you do. You have to get the GECK from Vault 87, and the only passable entrance is from Little Lamplight.

You might try performing the quest that the Mayor of Little Lamplight would give you - go to Paradise Falls and free the children you find there.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2010, 04:22 PM

I'm already in the town itself, it's the door to Murder Pass (Run? I've already forgotten in disgust ).

That's the thing. I could see them leaving the glitch in if what triggered it is randomly coming across Little Lamplight. That's pretty unlikely. But if you're anywhere in the northwest quadrant of the map, you see a giant ****ing Bob's Big Boy in the distance... Who isn't going to investigate that, and thereby vastly increase their chances of getting to Little Lamplight early?

To put it another way, the only reason I went there in the first place is I went to an obvious place, did an obvious mission, and then the game put it on the map for me.

I've not been in a hurry with the main quest, so I'm at least a few missions away from getting the GECK, I just happened to read about the glitch on tvtropes. I'm pretty irritated at the notion of having to go full bore on the quest I've been taking my time with just to see if I'll be able to finish the game, OTOH, I'm at level 22, and I play slow. As good as the game is, I don't think I can start over and sink another 150 hours into it.
( Last edited by subego; May 27, 2010 at 04:41 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I haven't played in a while, but I do remember that glitch, yes. You don't *have* to go to Little Lamplight to complete the game, though.
Console or PC?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Console or PC?
I played on 360. I guess I was wrong about the glitch, though I seem to remember being able to work around it on the 360 if it happened.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2010, 03:10 PM

Hmm... This gives me hope. Thanks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2010, 04:58 PM

Hmm tricky situation...

You say that you are already in Lamplight? I can only assume you've then completed the 'Escape from Paradise" quest where you rescue the enslaved Little Lamplighters.

Assuming that, and that you are looking for "Murder Pass" you should also know that you can talk to another child NPC (forget his name, but he is a little black kid with a red hat) and he allows you direct access to Vault 87 via a computer protected door. I think you need a science skill of 65 to access this terminal.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2010, 09:51 PM

I got the impression that one never triggers either.

I did do the Paradise Falls mission, which is what got me into Little Lamplight.

Do you recall how many missions there are between where I am now (just finished the Jefferson Memorial mission, and now have to go to the vault halfway between Little Lamplight and Girdershade) and when I have to get into Vault 87?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2010, 03:30 AM

There is only one real quest to be done before Vault 87 where you are at in the game. It involves the other vault, and pretty much right afterwards you would have been directed to Lamplight.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2010, 01:25 PM

Okay. That's not bad. Thanks y'all!

I'll report back.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 04:26 PM

Whoo hoo! It triggered without a hitch!

Thanks for the patch Bethesda, and screw you tvtropes!

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
There is only one real quest to be done before Vault 87 where you are at in the game. It involves the other vault, and pretty much right afterwards you would have been directed to Lamplight.
I think you mean afterwards you have the most obnoxious fetch quests ever, and then get sent to Little Lamplight.

Go to the sub-basement to flip a switch.
Okay, come back so I can give you fuses.
Go to the sub-basement to insert some fuses...

Huh? WTF?

Nice payoff though, and the Tranquility Lane mission was kind of cool, too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 10:57 PM

Heh, agreed.

Tranquility lane is one of those parts in F3 that elevates it to 'amazing' status IMO. There is quite enough same-old same-old, and that quest comes right out of left field.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Tranquility lane is one of those parts in F3 that elevates it to 'amazing' status IMO. There is quite enough same-old same-old, and that quest comes right out of left field.
A lot of people seem to have that reaction.

Relatively speaking, it kind of left me a little flat. I think part of it is that I was focused more on getting past it. Likewise, I've done Operation Anchorage, so the idea of the simulation inside the simulation wasn't as novel. Though obviously OA had a different feel to it.

Also, I'm playing as a "good" character, so as soon as I found that branch I was out of there. I looked the mission up afterwards to make sure I didn't miss anything important and it seems like it's quite a treat for someone going down an evil route. Mind you, the good ending is dark as ****, but it doesn't really string you along to get there like the evil one does. It sorta doesn't make sense going in, and then... poof, it happens. All done.

At the end, I was sort of like "hmph".

Don't get me wrong though, I'm harsh because I love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules