Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Possibly Silly Charger Question

Possibly Silly Charger Question
Thread Tools
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2010, 09:18 PM
 
My wife has an iPad and an iPod. I have an iPhone and two different iPods. Is there any issue with using the 10W iPad charger with any other iDevices?

Similarly, is there any real problem with using a car charger intended for an iPod for something other than an iPod, such as my iPhone or my wife's iPad?

I can't see any problems, as I know that all of these chargers are smart enough to only provide a safe charging current, but it's not what you know that trips you up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2010, 09:21 PM
 
I have learned that the iPod/iPhone chargers take a LONG time to charge my iPad. As in days. And if I use the iPad at the same time it is hooked to my iPhone charger then the iPad's battery charge doesn't increase at all.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2010, 09:24 PM
 
No problems at all, I charge my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 on the iPad charger.

If anything, the iPhones charge faster than normal.

But it's perfectly safe, since all of them use 5V. The devices will only draw as much current as they can handle / need.

-t
     
ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
 
Thanks. That's what I thought, but setting out on a trip (even a short one) with only one charger for at least 3 devices sounded a little rash without confirmation.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Palo Alto, CA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
 
what many people don't realize is the iPad AC adapter that came with the unit is the SAME exact 10w brick that was sold as the standard iPod adapter the year before the iPad came out. I bought my wife one to charge her iPod touch in 2009, and then I compared it side by side to the new iPad charger. No difference.
     
osiris24x
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2010, 03:13 AM
 
What I've also found noteworthy is that when your iPad is plugged into your Mac (I can't say for sure that this applies to ALL Macs) and says "Not Charging", that it actually is trickle charging. It's at least fast enough to charge a half dead iPad to 100% each night. Same applies to charging my iPad in my truck. So it seems the iPad lies.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com
     
ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2010, 09:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
what many people don't realize is the iPad AC adapter that came with the unit is the SAME exact 10w brick that was sold as the standard iPod adapter the year before the iPad came out. I bought my wife one to charge her iPod touch in 2009, and then I compared it side by side to the new iPad charger. No difference.
I noticed the similarity in shape...I'll have to dig into the specs of the old iPod chargers to see if there really is a difference.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
msuper69
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2010, 02:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by osiris24x View Post
What I've also found noteworthy is that when your iPad is plugged into your Mac (I can't say for sure that this applies to ALL Macs) and says "Not Charging", that it actually is trickle charging. It's at least fast enough to charge a half dead iPad to 100% each night. Same applies to charging my iPad in my truck. So it seems the iPad lies.
I find that interesting as my iPad doesn't trickle charge when connected to my new Mac mini. I called Apple and they said this was normal.
I think it sucks.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2010, 02:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I noticed the similarity in shape...I'll have to dig into the specs of the old iPod chargers to see if there really is a difference.
The old adapter is also 5V/1A.

Model No. on the old one is A1205.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2010, 05:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I find that interesting as my iPad doesn't trickle charge when connected to my new Mac mini. I called Apple and they said this was normal.
I think it sucks.
That seems weird.

I haven't looked to see whether it says "not charging", but when I plug my iPad into my new Mini at night, in the morning it's charged.

You have me doubting it now, but I'm 99% sure of this. I'll report back.
     
ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2010, 06:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The old adapter is also 5V/1A.

Model No. on the old one is A1205.
I noticed that when I finally got the chance to dig one out and look at it. 5W is fine for iPods, but it makes for slow charging of an iPad.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I find that interesting as my iPad doesn't trickle charge when connected to my new Mac mini. I called Apple and they said this was normal.
I think it sucks.
That seems weird.

I haven't looked to see whether it says "not charging", but when I plug my iPad into my new Mini at night, in the morning it's charged.

You have me doubting it now, but I'm 99% sure of this. I'll report back.
Every Mac I know of shuts down its USB ports when asleep. This is probably the "normal" Apple meant. subego, does your Mini sleep overnight-the whole night?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2010, 07:07 AM
 
Oh. That makes sense. No, it's on 24/7.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,