Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > help please: took memory riser out of Mac Pro, put back, RAM not registering

help please: took memory riser out of Mac Pro, put back, RAM not registering
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2013, 08:07 AM

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Mac pro and I was given some DIMMS that I thought might fit in the two empty slots I have (they didn't, that's immaterial to my problem). I slotted the RAM riser back in, and now none of those DIMMS are registering.

All I did was take the riser out and put it back (I didn't even remove it from the machine, grr). I'm sure that it's slotted in fully.

As an attempt to solve the problem, I swapped the two risers (there are two, and of course two slots for them to fit in). No joy.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I've just lost 8GB RAM, and I really need it!

Thanks for any help,

Chas

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2013, 11:00 AM

Check the pins on the risers and on the memory modules and make sure they're clean. Then, with the risers out, make sure there's no lint or dust in the slots the risers go into.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

That's good advice, thanks.

Before writing my OP, I made sure that the pins are all clean (they should be, the risers have only been removed twice since I purchased the machine). I did my best to blow out the slots; I can't see any dust, but it's a bit difficult to see that deep in the machine.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm getting intermittent registration of the one riser now, its RAM sometimes shows upon restart, then sometimes not. Frustrating!

Cheers!

Chas

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2013, 02:21 PM

Intermittent problems are the worst to troubleshoot. Maybe you messed up some RAM via ESD when you handled them. Can you remove RAM and get it working reliably (e.g. identifying the bad RAM module(s))?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2013, 11:51 AM

My 2008 mac pro, the top and bottom ram risers are not interchangeable.

did you leave any of the pin locky things open?

This may be helpful:

How do you upgrade the RAM in the "Early 2008" (Harpertown/Penryn) Mac Pro? How much RAM of what type does it support? Is it backwards compatible with RAM from the original Mac Pro? @ EveryMac.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules