Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Looking at starting again

Looking at starting again
The Raven
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2008, 12:22 AM

I am playing a little with F@H again and I still have a few old boxes running Einstein.
What are the optimizations for f@h I have not had time to research the current methods. Anyone using the SMP client??
I am running mostly wintel boxes.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2008, 11:20 AM

SMP client is a must on intel based machines.

You have cranked up the musid eh, just one month before I could take you over... Probably won't happen now.

Anyway, welcome back, the team needs all the power it can get else it won't be long before we drop from the top 100...
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

The Raven  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2008, 08:53 PM

Looks like no SMP for 64bit.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jun 20, 2008, 07:24 AM

I have about a half a dozen boxen not crunching here, but the durn CPU's put out SO much heat at 100% utilization that they heated up the whole house when I tried...

I can crunch in the winter here in Georgia, but not the summer.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2008, 11:45 AM

Only worth running at least Core 2 duo IMHO...
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

The Raven  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by OneMacGuy View Post
I have about a half a dozen boxen not crunching here, but the durn CPU's put out SO much heat at 100% utilization that they heated up the whole house when I tried...

I can crunch in the winter here in Georgia, but not the summer.
Most of mine are running in a nice cool server room.
I have a few DL380 G5's on order and will be burning them in with F@H.

It seems that these forums are pretty dead and not much activity from the power users. Other than Mikkyo and Welnic I don't see any of the big guns pushing big numbers.

When I get some time on my hands I will look at bringing on several more boxes online.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
It seems that these forums are pretty dead and not much activity from the power users. Other than Mikkyo and Welnic I don't see any of the big guns pushing big numbers.

When I get some time on my hands I will look at bringing on several more boxes online.
Nice to see you back Raven. It has been a little quite here.

I'm down to one dual core 1.66 Mac Mini, from the 8 boxes I once had. (Just put it on Einstein as long as it doesn't get too hot here). Hope to purchase a new "Photo workhorse" within a month if all goes well. Was looking at the top end iMac but since I have monitor, keyboard and stuff already am taking a strong look at the PowerMac 8 core 2.88. The price difference isn't that great since I have a good monitor now. Besides I'm switching to an "all RAW" workflow which means big files, lots of storage/backup needs and possibly a need for more then 4 Gigs RAM. The PowerMac would give me more room to grow, and would help out a lot more for the team as well. Haven't decided for sure, but am thinking about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules