Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sensitive Information

Sensitive Information
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 02:56 PM

I took my MBP to Tekserve the other day looking for an estimate on a hard drive upgrade. I didn't intend to actually drop it off that day so I didn't remove any of my personal files--stupidly. At any rate, the technician took the computer in the back (and out of sight) to make sure the hard drive I currently have is healthy so that they could do a clone of it if I did decide to get the upgrade. About 8 minutes later he handed it back to me to report that it was fine.

I'm a bit paranoid about identity theft and I can't believe I just handed it over without deleting the financial information first. I suppose he could have easily copied the entire contents of the folder in that time.

Ugh, has anyone here made the mistake that I did and lived to regret it? Have you accidentally turned your computer in for service with all your sensitive information without harm? I can check to see when that folder was accessed, but that wouldn't tell me if it was copied or not correct?

The associate seemed like a nice guy, but thinking back I'm not sure why he needed to take it away from the counter to do the check. I'm not sure what I can do now.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 03:09 PM

Is Tekserve a bonded business? Do you have any reason to believe that their technicians aren't professional and trustworthy?

The guy probably had to put the computer on the bench to keep from taking up counter space that might be used for another incoming customer. In my experience as a radio tech, ALL equipment work was done "in the back," whether it was as simple as looking over the unit or tearing it down to its component parts.

Are you concerned because you have actual "sensitive" information, such as social security numbers, bank and credit card account numbers and such on your hard drive?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 03:16 PM

They are an authorized Apple repair center and probably the most popular one outside of Apple stores themselves in NYC. Yes, sadly my tax returns were on my computer. They seem very professional and I have no reason to believe they did anything wrong. It's just I've heard of other professional places compromising information. I'm a little paranoid and could kick myself for not thinking of removing that info.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 03:18 PM

I've heard of "Geek Squad" and small-time shops being unprofessional about personal information, but never Apple nor an authorized Apple repair vendor.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2009, 10:00 AM

Tekserve has a good reputation, no? Relax, and just remember to not do it again. : )
ice

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
The associate seemed like a nice guy, but thinking back I'm not sure why he needed to take it away from the counter to do the check. I'm not sure what I can do now.
Chill down, it is almost certain that nothing happened. Because you know what your hard drive has, where to find it and how to use it, it does not mean that anyone else knows also. Just don't do the same again.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2009, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I'm ok with it now. I'm a little paranoid as someone tried to obtain a home loan in my name several years back. I only found out when I happened to go to that same bank to open an account. Thanks for your responses!

Forum Links
Forum Rules