Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Official HP TouchPad Thread

Official HP TouchPad Thread (Page 2)
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2011, 12:52 AM

For future reference; How would I go about setting the Touch Pad back to out-of-the-box insofar as software goes?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
For future reference; How would I go about setting the Touch Pad back to out-of-the-box insofar as software goes?
webOS Doctor.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2011, 06:28 PM

is that f4 phantom kernel still in preware? I can't find it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2011, 06:40 PM

You mean F15E? Should be.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You mean F15E? Should be.
No F4 Phantom. Is F15E better than the F4 Phantom kernel? I'm running pretty nicely at 1.7 GHz on both cores with F4 Phantom.

I found it. You have to restart after adding the webos-kernels-testing feed for the testing kernels to show up.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Sep 10, 2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
No F4 Phantom. Is F15E better than the F4 Phantom kernel? I'm running pretty nicely at 1.7 GHz on both cores with F4 Phantom.

I found it. You have to restart after adding the webos-kernels-testing feed for the testing kernels to show up.
Yup. I find the F4 Phantom to be good at 1.7 GHz. However, I had a database too full error this morning and had to restore from backup over the air. Not sure how much of this had to do with the over clock. I will say my problems started soon after downloading and using Angry Birds.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Sep 10, 2011, 09:52 PM

Just want to say. After some weeks with it, I love the TouchPad. I'm on the roof of my building reading...

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 PM

Month since last. Still using my TouchPad everyday, for hours each go. Love it. This is a great product. I wish more people in the world got to buy into this. Such a great start they could have had something here.

Sigh.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 18, 2011, 02:51 PM

webOS 3.0.4 available today. Major update. Update over the air: Settings>System Update.

I'm hearing great things about it. Big improvements, UI tweaks, other things fixed. Faster. New Camera App.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
webOS 3.0.4 available today. Major update. Update over the air: Settings>System Update.

I'm hearing great things about it. Big improvements, UI tweaks, other things fixed. Faster. New Camera App.
Absolutely, undeniably, noticeably faster with the 3.0.4 update.

I've also now got Android and WebOS dual booting.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2011, 01:57 PM

I've had a 32gb unit since the firesale (missed the 16gb by a matter of moments), and haven't gotten into the hacking side.

Overall playing with it does make me a bit sad. I see iOS on the iPad as a clear #1 in the space now due to the age and leaps since iOS 3.2. While WebOS does have some rough edges on the Touchpad, it to me seems like the clear #2 in the field, with their own innovative ideas. From a distance, I always thought the same for consumer smartphones, but never personally owned a WebOS device till now. Android on tablets is just a crummy experience next to iOS or WebOS, and sadly reminds me too much of Microsoft's early days with Windows vs MacOS/Amiga of the era. I just hope Android never hits the dominance level Windows did. We are at the edge of a new computing revolution, and all valid ideas need to be developed and exposed while things are still very malleable.
<This space under renovation>

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2011, 02:38 PM

My main motivation for getting the Touchpad is to use it as a photo frame. The challenge is the photo syncing from the computer. Ideally, I'd like to do this wirelessly, letting the device just sit on the touchstone stand. All my photos live in iPhoto. For now, I'm trying out GoGadget for webOS - Transfer photos, music, videos and ringtones from your PC or Mac to your webOS phone. (GoGadget) and it works ok, but required a cabled connection. It's also pretty unreliable with my photo collection measured in the thousands, and I fear it's scalability may not meet my long term wishes.

Other issue I'm looking into, the stock photo exposition mode works ok, but it'd be nice to disable the WebOS titlebar when it's in this mode.

Anyone have any input on what has worked for them for this potential use? In general with the planned retirement of MobileMe Galleries, iOS 5 and photostream, and the Touchpad, I'm taking a new look at how I want to deal with photos going forward. Complete new solutions are a possibility on the table.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 26, 2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
My main motivation for getting the Touchpad is to use it as a photo frame. The challenge is the photo syncing from the computer. Ideally, I'd like to do this wirelessly, letting the device just sit on the touchstone stand. All my photos live in iPhoto. For now, I'm trying out GoGadget for webOS - Transfer photos, music, videos and ringtones from your PC or Mac to your webOS phone. (GoGadget) and it works ok, but required a cabled connection. It's also pretty unreliable with my photo collection measured in the thousands, and I fear it's scalability may not meet my long term wishes.

Other issue I'm looking into, the stock photo exposition mode works ok, but it'd be nice to disable the WebOS titlebar when it's in this mode.

Anyone have any input on what has worked for them for this potential use? In general with the planned retirement of MobileMe Galleries, iOS 5 and photostream, and the Touchpad, I'm taking a new look at how I want to deal with photos going forward. Complete new solutions are a possibility on the table.
I just use the FaceBook Gallery in exhibition mode.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I just use the FaceBook Gallery in exhibition mode.
Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere. I can get Facebook photos to show up in the normal Photos exposition mode, but the bar at the top remains. "FacebookTablet" exposition mode appears to be a mode to show Facebook posts, with icons in the background being pulled from all my friends. It too also keeps the WebOS status bar at the top visible.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 30, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere. I can get Facebook photos to show up in the normal Photos exposition mode, but the bar at the top remains. "FacebookTablet" exposition mode appears to be a mode to show Facebook posts, with icons in the background being pulled from all my friends. It too also keeps the WebOS status bar at the top visible.
Yup, that's how it works for me too. I cycle FaceBook gallery and Photos.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2011, 09:08 PM

The bar is supposed to stay. It's the same on webOS 2.1.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2011, 10:36 AM

I just got a circuitcity.com email ad saying the Touchpad is back in stock. . . $149 for the 32 GB version BUT you have to send in a $150 rebate form. I was going to pick one up but having to mail the rebate makes it a little less appealing.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 01:16 AM

I'd be a bit nervous of rebates from bankrupt companies too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 04:09 AM

The brand isn't bankrupt anymore, I don't think. Systemax bought the name/online store. But I didn't want to deal with the rebate.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules