Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is the maximum password length for OS X ML?

What is the maximum password length for OS X ML?
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2012, 03:19 AM

Does anyone know what the maximum password length for OS X Mountain Lion is?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2012, 08:18 AM

OS X originally only cared about the first 8 characters of the password, everything after that is allowed but ignored. I haven't seen any notes about this changing.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2012, 04:41 PM

That hasn't been true for years now. As for the maximum I have no idea.

P
Jan 6, 2013, 03:53 PM

There is no maximum in the system per se - you can enter the entire text of Moby Dick if you want to - but I suspect that the the change password dialog box has some sort of upper limit, and you don't add any more entropy after 64.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 08:51 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I wonder if the modification date was set based on the article being archived.

It's odd that it mentions "Products Affected: Mac OS X 10.0".

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 09:40 AM

From a post on this page : Maximum password length? - MacRumors Forums - from 2002 BTW

Any UNIX that is still using a DES crypt(). I haven't use many commercial unices lately (well, except OS X), but I'd be willing to bet most have moved to an MD5 crypt. (which allows for passwords > 8 chars). Modern linux and BSD distributions have. I have no idea why OS X isn't using MD5.

And a bit more info here : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...ssword-on-os-x

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2013, 09:44 AM

P
Jan 7, 2013, 10:49 AM

Mac OS X Mountain Lion currently stores passwords using a SHA-512 hash with a 32 bit salt. The initial versions indeed used DES (which ignores anything beyond chars), but the last one to do that was 10.2. 10.3 had a freaky way of getting in by only using the first 14 chars (because Apple wanted compatibility with Windows and had not implemented NTLM authorization, they also stored a LANMAN hash, which is limited to 14 chars) but not for the main login window, and that hole has also been closed for a long time now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules