Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How 2 Disable OpenFirnware Password Protection

How 2 Disable OpenFirnware Password Protection
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2006, 07:10 AM

Can anyone share any knowledge about how to disable Open Firnware Password Protection ??? I have it enabled but recently, the keyboard has been trippen making the letter "m" inoperable. my open firmware password as well as many of my other passwords have the letter "m" in them so you can guess how debilitating this is. I need to know if there is away to disable open firmware password protection using terminal or another application instead of the tradidtional way of restarting my iBook and booting into open firmware. I am fearful of not being able to get back into my iBook if the open firmware is still activated. I cannot type in the old password because it contains a letter "m." Please advise. Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 12, 2006, 08:30 AM

First off, download Open Firmware Password from Apple's support site. Or if you have a very recent model Mac, get it off the Install CD's that came with it. It should be in Applications/Utilities on the disk.

Once you run it you will have the option of changing the password to something without an "m" in it. After you've changed it, if you want to disable it completely, restart holding the "Command" + "Option" + "O" + "F" keys. At the text-based prompt, type "reset-nvram". You will be prompted for the new password you setup. Once entered, at the next prompt type "reset-all".

That should do the trick.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2006, 08:43 AM

Not exactly an answer to your question (more like a reply), but as a workaround...

Open Keyboard Viewer in System Preferences/International/Input menu and then you'll be able to click on the "M" instead of typing it.

FWIW, this technique worked for me when I tried to unlock other system preferences.

Hope it is helpful to you.
( Last edited by pendragon; May 12, 2006 at 09:17 AM. )
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 12, 2006, 10:37 AM

You can remove the RAM, then put it back in. This should bypass the open firmware password, but not sure if it does it temporarily or permanently.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 12:11 AM

I went ahead and purchased a new keyboard. Thanks one and all for your advice and guidance.
Peace . . .
TheZee

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
You can remove the RAM, then put it back in. This should bypass the open firmware password, but not sure if it does it temporarily or permanently.

It's a little more complicated than that... but I'm not telling.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 01:03 AM

Awe, come one my Mac brother. Do tell what you mean exactly. It would be comforting to have that type of information in my back pocket just in case a similar situation were to occurr in the future. Pretty please
TheZee

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 01:57 AM

Then you need to boot into Open Firmware and type:
reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

That should do the trick. You can then boot into single user, verbose, or from a CD/DVD.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

memory-minus
Senior User
May 23, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Detrius
It's a little more complicated than that... but I'm not telling.
LOL all high and mighty over something we learned in our ACHDS material, eh? Unbelievable.

1) Remove a stick of RAM, or, if you only have one stick, add one. Just change the amount of RAM in the machine either more or less.

2) Reset the PRAM by holding Apple-Option-P-R at the boot chime. Hold the keys until the computer chimes again. This will remove the OF password.

Forum Links
Forum Rules