Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > LED backlit displays coming in 2007!

LED backlit displays coming in 2007!
Atheist
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 02:08 PM

According to a recent statement by Steve:

"We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. "

Edit: Hope this isn't old news. I searched around but didn't find anything. I've been interested in this technology since they first introduced it in the iPods.
( Last edited by Atheist; May 2, 2007 at 02:20 PM. )

Dazed
May 2, 2007, 04:10 PM

Hopefully it will come in the next iMac

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 10:23 PM

Question:
Does this statement by Apple make it more or less likely to bring updates to the ageing Macbook, Macbook pro and IMac line by WWDC. Since it seems that Jobs did not want to talk about this subject, as it talks about products to come.

From the open letter:
It is generally not Apple’s policy to trumpet our plans for the future; we tend to talk about the things we have just accomplished.
( Last edited by ESavage; May 2, 2007 at 10:36 PM. )

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
Question:
Does this statement by Apple make it more or less likely to bring updates to the ageing Macbook, Macbook pro and IMac line by WWDC. Since it seems that Jobs did not want to talk about this subject, as it talks about products to come.
Very difficult to say about the time frame. Mind you, this information comes as a response of Apple to the pressure of environmental organizations and not as a roadmap announcement which is unknown term in Apple's lexicon. So, depending on pricing evolution this year, the first LED Mac could be out well after Leopard is launched, or even at MWSF 2008 (Apple knows well to stretch a little the seasons, why not the year too ).

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Hopefully it will come in the next iMac
Very doubtful. The smallest iMac has a 17" display and even there it would be a rather expensive item for some time yet. And let's say that price allows Apple to update the 17" model soon. What about the others that are much bigger? Would you ever have the low end sport newer technology than the high end?

No, I think the transition to the LED displays will first touch the Macbooks (Pro). iMac's turn will be next year probably, unless there is some surprise in pricing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2007, 04:58 AM

Also from a technical standpoint it's more interesting to put it into the MBP than the iMac. The MBP is where size and low power consumption matters most. The iMac will eventually get it, but probably after the MBP and MB.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
"We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. "
To me that says they won't have the whole Mac line with LCD's this year, they will start to make and ship Macs with LCD this year. I'd agree with the original post that they will do laptops first and leave the bigger displays in the iMac and Cinema Displays until later on (next year).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules