Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini advice needed

mac mini advice needed
Dazed
Nov 21, 2007, 03:49 PM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide if the mac mini will be sufficent for my needs while I wait for a mac pro refresh (and save up for it)

I currently am a pc user with an amd 3000 chip, geforce 6600gt and a gig of ram.

My main uses are email and web although I also use CS3 and lightroom.

Would a mini be sufficient? I'm worried about the integrated video card, I hear its not very good. Will it be able to handle CS3 as well as HD quicktime movies?

Thanks

mr breaker
Nov 21, 2007, 05:42 PM

I've been using CS3 on my mini without a problem. I did up the RAM to 2 gigs though.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 06:25 PM

CS3 doesn't use the video card for processing, so yes it would be fine. Not sure if Lightroom does or not. The new minis can do HD as well.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 07:01 PM

Photoshop, Lightroom, and Quicktime don't even really touch the graphics card... it should be fine with 2GB RAM.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 03:29 PM

I use CS3 on my Core Duo mini, and it works fine. Not great, but works.

Cassifire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2007, 05:20 PM

Yep, the mini will do those things quite well, although not quite as well as the MacPro.
eMac 1.42 GHz | 12" iBook G4 1.33 GHz
Mercy For Animals

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 06:08 PM

Max out the RAM to help overcome the integrated video. I love my mini. It runs CS3 no trouble at all and spins along happily all day. 1000% more stable than my MBP, probably because it's so understressed. Hooked up to a nice big monitor it's a proper Mac inside and out. As a designer I don't need the fancy games graphics so I'm happy with my mini, and you will be too!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Max out the RAM to help overcome the integrated video. I love my mini. It runs CS3 no trouble at all and spins along happily all day. 1000% more stable than my MBP, probably because it's so understressed. Hooked up to a nice big monitor it's a proper Mac inside and out. As a designer I don't need the fancy games graphics so I'm happy with my mini, and you will be too!
Sounds more like you had a defective MBP.

stukdog
Dec 1, 2007, 10:05 AM

I agree with the rest of the posters. The Mac mini should have no problem with your needs. The newest chips are impressive.
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules