Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File sharing over TC/IP

File sharing over TC/IP
johnb
Nov 2, 1999, 09:31 AM

Good evening,
I can connect to my friends Mac over TC/IP. But he cannot connect to mine. I have found that the File Sharing Control Panel has the radio button for enabling "file sharing clients to connect over TC/IP". But this button is grayed out.
Can any one suggest a way to over come this situation.
Thanks for your help.
John

jaysones
Nov 2, 1999, 02:32 PM

I have the same problem! I'm an Apple Developer, and didn't have this problem under any of the beta releases, until I got the GM. I'm trying to resolve this in the developer forums, and will keep you posted.
I'm using a g3/400, trying file sharing over tcp/ip on an ADSL line at 1.3 mbps.
Thanks-
Jay Sones

Erick
Nov 2, 1999, 02:59 PM

You are probably missing the Extension called "ShareWay IP Personal Bgnd." The final OS9 installer doesn't seem to install it when you perform a custom install. A standard install will put this file in the Extensions folder and will make the File Sharing control panel option for TCP/IP sharing available to you.
You can then perform a custom install to get any additional components you may need (which the standard install might not have provided).

moridin
Nov 2, 1999, 03:11 PM

You need to have the Shareway IP Personal bgnd. its a small app that lives in the extensions folder.

Goatie
Nov 2, 1999, 06:43 PM

I was having the same problem before I took the advice of Erick and moridin. Now everything works perfectly.
-Goatie

johnb
Nov 2, 1999, 08:58 PM

Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen,
I have installed the init and it works like you said.
Thanks again
John

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 1999, 03:57 PM

Also, you may wish to note that you can connect to a Mac running MacOS 9.0 w/ TCP/IP file sharing from a Mac running 7.6 or higher. (I think 7.6's chooser added support for connecting to an AppleShare IP server.)

If anyone wants to try this, I've set up a shared folder on my Mac. Connect to afp://resnet155.248.und.nodak.edu Your login and password are MacNN and MacNN, respectively. You should be able to connect from any Mac running MacOS 7.6 or higher. You can use the Network Browser or the Chooser.

Chooser : AppleShare : Server IP Address and enter the URL above. (Of course, you need to have AppleTalk and AppleShare turned on for this to work!)

[This message has been edited by Herr Newton (edited 11-03-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules