Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 Powerbook For Music Production

G4 Powerbook For Music Production
DUDE 007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 03:31 PM

Hi Everyone...
First off...I would like to say that this forum is great!!!
I am a new member and definately a Mac fan. I am in the market to buy a new computer and have decided to go for Mac all the way. I am seriously considering the G4 powerbook 15" but now the 17" has intrigued me further. I know many people have a problem with its size but for me its actually a benefit having such a large screen to view when working. I will be using the PB mainly for music production..you know sampling, looping, multi-tracking...whatever. Considering I buy the G4 PB 17"...my ideal set up will consist of Logic 6 or Cubase SX running on OSX..a software sampler (Halion 2.0 or Logic EXSP)...the audio card will probably be the Digidesign M Box so I can benefit from having Pro Tools...for a midi controller I am looking at the small Oxygen 8 keyboard. Eventually I also want to get a Firewire drive strictly for the audio considering that the internal hard drive is running @ 4200 according to specs. Will I have a problem if I start with the internal drive for now. Obviously I want to be able to do both midi and audio based production together with some VST instruments and EFX. My question is...will the G4 PB 17" accomodate my demands and needs. I have heard from others that its a true workhorse and I shouldnt have a problem. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me possibly user experiences...pros...cons...or just good old opinions.

Much respect and thanks in advance.
PS...I will soon be running with the Mac gurus..LOL

nighttraitor
Jul 18, 2003, 06:00 PM

I just picked up an Mbox and it runs VERY smooth. I think I had about 16 tracks with some effects and the CPU still had plenty of room left. As for the hard drive, I did a wee bit on the interal one, then moved everything to my FW drive and its much quicker. You can do it on the internal, but I noticed a big difference in overall quickness on the FW one. Granted I don't have all that other software, but either book will eat right through it.

Originally posted by DUDE 007:
Hi Everyone...
First off...I would like to say that this forum is great!!!
I am a new member and definately a Mac fan. I am in the market to buy a new computer and have decided to go for Mac all the way. I am seriously considering the G4 powerbook 15" but now the 17" has intrigued me further. I know many people have a problem with its size but for me its actually a benefit having such a large screen to view when working. I will be using the PB mainly for music production..you know sampling, looping, multi-tracking...whatever. Considering I buy the G4 PB 17"...my ideal set up will consist of Logic 6 or Cubase SX running on OSX..a software sampler (Halion 2.0 or Logic EXSP)...the audio card will probably be the Digidesign M Box so I can benefit from having Pro Tools...for a midi controller I am looking at the small Oxygen 8 keyboard. Eventually I also want to get a Firewire drive strictly for the audio considering that the internal hard drive is running @ 4200 according to specs. Will I have a problem if I start with the internal drive for now. Obviously I want to be able to do both midi and audio based production together with some VST instruments and EFX. My question is...will the G4 PB 17" accomodate my demands and needs. I have heard from others that its a true workhorse and I shouldnt have a problem. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me possibly user experiences...pros...cons...or just good old opinions.

Much respect and thanks in advance.
PS...I will soon be running with the Mac gurus..LOL
( Last edited by nighttraitor; Jul 18, 2003 at 06:46 PM. )
"Is it because he's a horse?! Or because he has BLINDERS ON?!?!?!"

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 07:49 PM

Thanks Nighttraitor...I assume you have Pro Tools LE 6.0.
If you have recently purchased the M Box I am sure thats the version or at least have the option to upgrade. How do you like the program?
When running your 16 tracks where you using the efx from pro tools or was it from another source? I hear the M Box has a great sound.

Anybody else have any other opinions?

nighttraitor
Jul 19, 2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by DUDE 007:
Thanks Nighttraitor...I assume you have Pro Tools LE 6.0.
If you have recently purchased the M Box I am sure thats the version or at least have the option to upgrade. How do you like the program?
When running your 16 tracks where you using the efx from pro tools or was it from another source? I hear the M Box has a great sound.

Anybody else have any other opinions?
Yea sorry, something I didn't clarify... a buddy of mine was doing all the Pro Tools stuff. He is a freak and was must kind of testing it out. Anyways, the sound was good. The program is kinda tough to learn, but I'm sure I'll get it. All the efx were within pro tools as that is all i have.

All that to say, its all the good.
"Is it because he's a horse?! Or because he has BLINDERS ON?!?!?!"

Nigel Tufnel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2003, 12:50 PM

nighttraitor,
"I just picked up an Mbox and it runs VERY smooth. I think I had about 16 tracks with some effects and the CPU still had plenty of room left. As for the hard drive, I did a wee bit on the interal one, then moved everything to my FW drive and its much quicker. You can do it on the internal, but I noticed a big difference in overall quickness on the FW one. Granted I don't have all that other software, but either book will eat right through it."

DO you run EVERYTHING thru the 7200rpm external drive including the app (Cubase, Logic, Reason) itself or just the audio files?

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 01:59 PM

Dude 007,
Welcome to the World of Mac. Without question you should go with the 17pb. The extra screen size will come in handy will mixing down. Plus the illuminating keyboard will make those late night sessions flow much easier. For at times I like to work in the dark. I am more of a logic man by the way. Only thing I suggest is you should purchase an external hard drive 7200rpms. That will put less wear and tear on your internal hard drive. Plus you will have backup always back up. Give me a couple of days and I will be able to dig up some links and articles I have on latop music production.

Joshua Stein

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2003, 06:20 PM

Thanks jstein.
The PB 17 looks incredible...but its tough waiting it out especially now with these new rumours floating around about new updates to the PB this September. I am sure you have heard..if not check it out.
NEW POWERBOOK RUMOURS @ THE EXPO IN PARIS

Forum Links
Forum Rules