Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DVD Recorder question or two

DVD Recorder question or two
mikeini
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2006, 01:03 AM

Hey guys -

I have a question pertaining to DVD Recorders:

Is it possible to connect 2 dvd recorders and have one record from the other (liek you would from vhs to vhs).

SO lets say i have like a 10 minute movie on one that i wanted to add to another (for some compliation), is that possible?

Are there specific models that will do that?

Will this work for any DVD/VHS Combo's as well?

I was thinking about this model (the few reviews i've found have been good) -
Samsung DVD-R135

do you have any recommendations on any good dvd recorders (to record off TIVO PRIMARILY)?

I would also require a good, QUALITY (i have dealt with one or two that have not been so great) dvd/vhs combo player that will enable dubbing between dvd and vhs tapes.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks guys for all your input!

Mike

Railroader
Banned
Jul 13, 2006, 01:19 AM

As long as the original DVD isn't Macromedia protected you shouldn't have a problem.

The DVD/VHS combo units that I have experience with don't do either format very well. In my opinion it's better (and usually cheaper) to buy separate units.

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
As long as the original DVD isn't Macromedia protected you shouldn't have a problem.

The DVD/VHS combo units that I have experience with don't do either format very well. In my opinion it's better (and usually cheaper) to buy separate units.
what do you mean macromedia protected?

is it possible to go dvd to dvd using two dvd recordeRs?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikeini
what do you mean macromedia protected?
He means copy protected. Like most commercial DVDs are. If it's a DVD you made then there should be no problem.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2006, 05:56 PM

MacroVision is the company behind the commercial DVD copy protection schemes. Not Macromedia.

is it possible to go dvd to dvd using two dvd recordeRs?
If it is not a commercial dvd, then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are looking at Tivo>DVD for most of what you're doing however, you may instead want to look at simply getting a DVD burner for your computer and getting a hacked tivo that will allow you to transfer video digitally to the computer. This way you can edit commercials easier, and the signal stays digital from the tivo to the recording medium, rather than going digital>analog>digital and potentially losing some image quality.

Further, much of the uh... available software for computers is better suited for copying dvds than a set of standalone dvd recorders would be.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2006, 05:25 AM

Get a DVD Recorder with a built in HDD. eg: Pioneer. Use the disc back up function for the 2 discs you want to put onto a single. Once that data is stored on the HDD you can then edit the 2 sections together and then copy from HDD to DVD. Perfect solution!
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules