Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 5: Official Discussion Thread

iOS 5: Official Discussion Thread (Page 3)
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 03:47 PM

Cannot restore or update. Internal error on both iPhone and iPad. #grumpybootson
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2011, 04:16 PM

How do you turn on the LED flash for incoming alerts? I saw demos of this in the Betas but I can't find it in Settings...

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2011, 04:23 PM

Ah, I found it. It's under "Settings -> General -> Accessibility".

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Cannot restore or update. Internal error on both iPhone and iPad. #grumpybootson
Happened to me. Followed advice on Apple knowledge base, which instructed me to reboot Mac. Tried again, worked fine.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 05:59 PM

Lots of people in the UK reporting that the errors occurring after the extracting software stage are due to traffic on Apple's verification servers.

Has anyone else tried the free version of Word Lens under iOS 5? Mine just quits on launch.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2011, 06:04 PM

Can't get any notifications to show up on the lock screen. Haven't seen one yet. I get the banners, and the pull-down notification screen is chock full of stuff, but the lock screen is always blank.

I checked the notifications settings and the "View in Lock Screen" is set for all of them.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks to the installation process I have a useless iPad 2!! A few hours ago I tried to update to iOS 5 and kept getting the error message (cannot restore). So I did a reset of the iPad. Now my iPad is stuck in limbo--I can't use it since it now needs to reinstall the firmware from scratch. And I need the iPad for work tomorrow. I've rarely been hopping mad at Apple but am now! Before this all the iOS 4 updates were seamless.

BTW, I first installed latest iTunes on my MacBook Pro, don't have any firewall type software or anything.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 06:26 PM

Is iTunes seeing the iPad? Can't you try restoring it again?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 06:32 PM

Just tried to create a location based reminder- on an iPhone 4. It doesn't give me the option- do I need to activate this in a setting somewhere?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 06:45 PM

No, there is no setting for it. Getting mixed reports on whether the iPhone 4 has them or not. My 3GS does not. I find this very annoying since Notifications and iMessage are basically all you get otherwise.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
Thanks to the installation process I have a useless iPad 2!! A few hours ago I tried to update to iOS 5 and kept getting the error message (cannot restore). So I did a reset of the iPad. Now my iPad is stuck in limbo--I can't use it since it now needs to reinstall the firmware from scratch. And I need the iPad for work tomorrow. I've rarely been hopping mad at Apple but am now! Before this all the iOS 4 updates were seamless.

BTW, I first installed latest iTunes on my MacBook Pro, don't have any firewall type software or anything.
Reboot the Mac and try again. Are you on 10.7.2?

Also, waving a dead chicken in combination with the reboot/update worked for a friend of mine.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
No, there is no setting for it. Getting mixed reports on whether the iPhone 4 has them or not. My 3GS does not. I find this very annoying since Notifications and iMessage are basically all you get otherwise.
Read on another forum you need to set up iCloud for them to work. Apple's move from mobileMe to iCloud site seems to be f'ed right now so I can't test this. Annoyed.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2011, 07:37 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot
Reboot the Mac and try again. Are you on 10.7.2?

Also, waving a dead chicken in combination with the reboot/update worked for a friend of mine.

Thanks for the chicken trick! It worked! Actually, I used an iChicken, available at any Apple Store (or online!). After a couple of more attempts the firmware/iOS 5 was restored. It'll be interesting to work with iOS 5.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 07:39 PM

I really dislike having NewsStand on my main screen...can't delete it and can't stick in my obligatory "Crap" folder. Thanks Apple, you know best.

Cold Warrior
Oct 12, 2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I banished it as far away as I could but it stinks I can't put it in a folder.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Happened to me. Followed advice on Apple knowledge base, which instructed me to reboot Mac. Tried again, worked fine.

The problem was/is overloaded servers according to a big thread on Macrumors. I had this same problem, just trying the restore repeatedly until it worked did the trick for me.

I don't know why I was so anxious to run the update, next time I will definitely wait for a day or three.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Yeah, I banished it as far away as I could but it stinks I can't put it in a folder.

Some feedback that this is not possible would be great, I tried dropping it into a folder a half dozen times, I thought I was going crazy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Just tried to create a location based reminder- on an iPhone 4. It doesn't give me the option- do I need to activate this in a setting somewhere?
Create the reminder and click on it to bring up more info, the location options are in the more info screen.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post

It is very bad design that after not being able to connect to Apple's servers it just gives up with this vague error message. At the very least it ought to give you one of those retry/cancel dialog boxes, and it should hold your connection for the duration of the update so that you can't temporarily brick your device waiting for a connection that sustains throughout the entire update process.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 08:04 PM

So I figured out my reminders issue- as my iPhone syncs with my companies exchange server- it was putting any new reminders in the "exchange tasks" list. Once I switched the reminder to my iCloud "reminders" list, the location option appeared.

Cool.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:05 PM

So, I went to update my iPad, iTunes crashed. Rebooted computer and iPad, tried to update, and iTunes crashed again. iPad was corrupted, I restored it to factory. Tried update again, iTunes crashed and corrupted iPad. Rebooted computer again, restored iPad, iPad update was successful, restored data and apps, iTunes crashed. Tried restore again, and it was finally successful.

Whew. Now things seem to be okay, but Stanza doesn't work anymore, but I guess that's not surprising since Amazon bought it and doesn't plan on releasing a version that works with iOS 5. Just peachy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I really dislike having NewsStand on my main screen...can't delete it and can't stick in my obligatory "Crap" folder. Thanks Apple, you know best.
This pisses me off to no end.

I mean, it was effective: I actually took a look at it (contrary to intention) and downloaded a magazine for the heck of it. Content costs money, so until I find a compelling reason to buy on the iPhone (don't have iPad), I'd like to kick this thing to the Crap folder.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:14 PM

It looks like an untethered jailbreak is available, has anybody tried it yet?

I'm in no immediate rush, but at some point I'd like to get my tethering back without having to pay AT&T (which I still maintain is downright ridiculous).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
So, I went to update my iPad, iTunes crashed. Rebooted computer and iPad, tried to update, and iTunes crashed again. iPad was corrupted, I restored it to factory. Tried update again, iTunes crashed and corrupted iPad. Rebooted computer again, restored iPad, iPad update was successful, restored data and apps, iTunes crashed. Tried restore again, and it was finally successful.

Whew. Now things seem to be okay, but Stanza doesn't work anymore, but I guess that's not surprising since Amazon bought it and doesn't plan on releasing a version that works with iOS 5. Just peachy.

When you say "crash" do you mean those "internal errors"?

Those are just cryptic errors that mean that Apple's server(s) could not be contacted.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:18 PM

There was an earlier conversation within a conversation with me and somebody who shared my concern over having all iCloud usage dependent on a single point of failure. These update errors could have obviously been handled far more gracefully from a software standpoint, but this could be the byproduct of not having multiple physical locations where new nodes to receive traffic can be established, eliminating a single bottleneck.

From a software standpoint this reminds me a little of the Lion update where the update would be foobar if your internet connection was severed during the transfer. I'm not sure why Apple has been struggling so much with some basic network connectivity error checking and recovery code.

I hope that this is not a sign of things to come, but I suspect that it might very well be, sadly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Serves you right for using Micros...

Oh, wait, never mind

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Some feedback that this is not possible would be great, I tried dropping it into a folder a half dozen times, I thought I was going crazy.
Heh. Same here. Really, really irritating.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 08:51 PM

Switching exchange reminders off and having just iCloud reminders on does not give location options on my 3GS.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2011, 10:48 PM

4 hours download, 2 still to go. The ww demand is reducing even Apple's servers to dial-up speeds. Oh the irony

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 11:10 PM

Create the reminder and click on it to bring up more info, the location options are in the more info screen.
Ya, that bugs me. I shouldn't have to re-select a reminder to finish setting it.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. Same here. Really, really irritating.
Remember a few posts back when I said "from an engineer's POV, supporting the concurrent Siri/iP4s/iOS5/iCloud/10.7.2 introductions has to be somewhere between an extreme challenge and a nightmare" and you said I was just being an Apple apologist?

And the 4s/Siri clusterf*** has not even hit the cloud yet.

-Allen

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This pisses me off to no end.

I mean, it was effective: I actually took a look at it (contrary to intention) and downloaded a magazine for the heck of it. Content costs money, so until I find a compelling reason to buy on the iPhone (don't have iPad), I'd like to kick this thing to the Crap folder.
Indeed. I don't know about anywhere else, but in Canada we've only got 10 magazines to choose from. Bleh. I'll stick with Flipboard and free content, thank-you.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2011, 11:45 PM

I just sent a picture via MMS from iOS5 to iOS4. The SMS went through but the image didn't. Yet.
I finally got 5.0 installed my iP4 and tried sending a pic to my girl's 3G and it worked just fine. *phew*

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 12:05 AM

Too bad I can't just delete the Newsstand.

P.S. One feature I'd like to see for iOS 5: 16 or more apps per iPhone folder. This 12 app limitation is really annoying.

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I finally got 5.0 installed my iP4 and tried sending a pic to my girl's 3G and it worked just fine. *phew*
Maybe he had MMS turned off.

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Remember a few posts back when I said "from an engineer's POV, supporting the concurrent Siri/iP4s/iOS5/iCloud/10.7.2 introductions has to be somewhere between an extreme challenge and a nightmare" and you said I was just being an Apple apologist?

And the 4s/Siri clusterf*** has not even hit the cloud yet.
Yes, you were being an Apple apologist, and now you seem to be doing it again.
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 13, 2011 at 12:14 AM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 12:09 AM

Oh, and when I say iTunes crashed, I mean it crashed. It was completely unresponsive and I had to force quit it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2011, 12:22 AM

Disappointed that Multitasking Gestures didn't make it for iPad1. Apple clearly spelled out the features that were iPad2-only, but they neglected to mention that Multitasking Gestures were iPad2-only. I've quite enjoyed this feature in iOS 4.3 on my iPad1, and can't imagine why Apple decided to leave it out of iOS5.
Apple (Canada) - iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Disappointed that Multitasking Gestures didn't make it for iPad1. Apple clearly spelled out the features that were iPad2-only, but they neglected to mention that Multitasking Gestures were iPad2-only. I've quite enjoyed this feature in iOS 4.3 on my iPad1, and can't imagine why Apple decided to leave it out of iOS5.
Apple (Canada) - iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5.
That's moronic, esp. considering they reportedly worked fine on the original iPad. But I'm sure someone will tell you it's because multitouch needs an A5 or something.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2011, 01:15 AM

It looks like an untethered jailbreak is available, has anybody tried it yet?

I'm in no immediate rush, but at some point I'd like to get my tethering back without having to pay AT&T (which I still maintain is downright ridiculous).
I didn't know a jailbreak was available already. But I won't be jail-breaking again until my 4S comes in, since I am sending this 4 to my sister.
The tethering is the only reason I jailbreak too.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2011, 02:33 AM

Too bad I can't just delete the Newsstand.

Yes, you were being an Apple apologist, and now you seem to be doing it again.
I agree on both points I guess.

-Allen

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2011, 03:08 AM

Like the idea of the split keyboard. But I can't adjust the size. That sucks.

No multi-gesture on the iPad 1, but avail on the iPad 2. WTF?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2011, 04:14 AM

Maybe he had MMS turned off.
Possibly my recipient had it turned off. I didn't warn her or anything.

Honestly though, I don't know anyone who actually bothers with MMS. I don't know why you'd want to send MMS to someone's iPhone when you could email the pic for free.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Like the idea of the split keyboard. But I can't adjust the size. That sucks.

No multi-gesture on the iPad 1, but avail on the iPad 2. WTF?
Since Apple didn't specify it as an iPad2-only feature, I'm sending it in as a bug-report.

There's a complaint thread at Apple Support:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 08:30 AM

Honestly though, I don't know anyone who actually bothers with MMS. I don't know why you'd want to send MMS to someone's iPhone when you could email the pic for free.
I don't use MMS either, but the point of MMS is to send/receive it from non-iPhones.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2011, 10:24 AM

I'm getting 2 new 4s this weekend, one of them is a replacement for a 3G phone running iOS 3 -
anyone know if I need to upgrade the old iPhone to iOS 4 first?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 10:40 AM

In the states, SMS and MMS aren't differentiated on your plan.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 10:42 AM

Well, so far, iOS 5 update on my iPhone 4 was a disaster.

3 tries of installing and restoring from backup, so far failed.
Suddenly, when trying to restore from backup, I get the error message that I'm out of space.
Something with the size of 45GB(!!!) in the category Other was trying to sync. WTF ?

Very screwed up. I'll probably have to dig out an old backup from TimeMachine and retry.

WTF, Apple

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 11:05 AM

FWIW, I got the 3014 error with 200 free GB.

I'm not sure what caused it to work, but I just kept hammering "Restore" (not "Update") and it finally worked.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 11:14 AM

I guess I should warn people...

When doing your upgrade from iOS 4 to 5, you might want to make sure you have some extra space on the iPhone itself too. I was having some serious problems with transfers of personal data from my backup file. I wasn't sure but I suspected it was because I was out of space because not all my apps loaded either and I was very near full up.

I deleted a bunch of apps and stuff so I had a 1 GB free space on the phone and the next sync went perfectly.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2011, 11:14 AM

It's personal choice, obviously, but I use it because it's faster to send, gets received more immediately, and is more "personal" as it gets it's own discreet notification and doesn't just get mixed in to the other dozens of emails that person might receive in a day.

Sending media to non-smartphones is of course the biggest reason that it "needs" to be included in the feature set. There are more people out there with dumb-phones than are represented by interweb forums.

Oh, and most people around here have either fairly large messaging packages or get free messages. My plan gives me free SMS/MMS to my top 5 chosen contacts plus 200 per month on top of that so cost is a moot point.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 11:20 AM

I deleted a bunch of apps and stuff so I had a 1 GB free space on the phone and the next sync went perfectly.
I had 2.6GB free.

Wasn't enough for iTunes, which tried to sync some mysterious 45GB of Other data.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules