Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes 3.0.1 released

iTunes 3.0.1 released
m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 02:18 PM

iTunes 3.0.1 released - in my Software D/L but it does not say what has changed.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 02:26 PM

did you feel a sensation akin to orgasm, by being the first to post a thread about this? i'm really trying to understand why people do this, so throw me a clue, buddy
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Patton76
Sep 18, 2002, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
did you feel a sensation akin to orgasm, by being the first to post a thread about this? i'm really trying to understand why people do this, so throw me a clue, buddy
Well I guess he's just helping the mac community, by keeping all of us informed. Instead of your post, his one had any sense.

cwasko
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 02:33 PM

Do you when u senselessly bash someone? I, for one, found his post usefull. I have turned to automatic check of the SW updater off and manualy check it when I hear that something is out. So, considering the way I 'work', this was an extremely useful post and I thank the original poster. However, you, are just a... aaaa whatever... not even worth it.
( Last edited by cwasko; Sep 18, 2002 at 02:47 PM. )

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Patton76:
Instead of your post, his one had any sense.
Wow. Now that doesn't make any sense.

What I want to know is this:

How many MacNN Forum lammies just shot their loads on their keyboard when Software Update opened (before this thread was posted), only to find an iTunes update?

Moose
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
How many MacNN Forum lammies just shot their loads on their keyboard when Software Update opened (before this thread was posted), only to find an iTunes update?

Guilty as charged.

Patton76
Sep 18, 2002, 02:38 PM

Well the only thing that would make any sense, is if someone could tell us what has changed in the .0.1 update.

Instead of faming anyone, anytime, anywhere, ....

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 02:39 PM

Well I guess he's just helping the mac community, by keeping all of us informed. Instead of your post, his one had any sense.
have you heard of version tracker? leave the "keeping the community informed" spirit to them. they're professionals.

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:41 PM

Well the only thing that would make any sense, is if someone could tell us what has changed in the .0.1 update.

Instead of faming anyone, anytime, anywhere, ....
"iTunes 3.0.1 includes a number of performance enhancements to iTunes 3.0, and provides improved support for Mac OS X version 10.2."

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by m.brown:
iTunes 3.0.1 released - in my Software D/L but it does not say what has changed.
Well, I don't know what's new either, other than "10.2 improvements", but what annoys me is that this things requires a reboot. Ok, no big deal, I know iTunes has some CD-RW, iPod and other lower level stuff included but still, is a reboot really necessary?
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:42 PM

have you heard of version tracker? leave the "keeping the community informed" spirit to them. they're professionals.
Don't worry phil...I'm sure we'll have 35 ***OMG 10.2.1 IS OUT*** "first posts" fairly soon here...

Patton76
Sep 18, 2002, 02:42 PM

Uh, yes. I use it to see if there's any new Windows software.

But that's besides the point.

There was just no reason at all to bash off the original poster. There are a lot of post which are far more ridiculous!

That's it, end of discussion, live and let live, etc ...

m.brown  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 03:03 PM

Yes, yes I did. I felt that by posting this information first my fellows would accept me for once, but it's proved a disastrous mistake. Now I only feel hatred and resentment to me.

Pass me the potassium cyanide...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 03:04 PM

Now what the heck's the matter people?
Show some character and stop bashing eachother.. If you doesn't have much to say, it's better to stay quiet mostly.

Now! Please tell me if OpenGL visualsations is finally supported on late 2001 ibooks like mine i.e..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2002, 03:20 PM

Guess what?! OpenGL works in iTunes now on my TiBook 400! I can tell a huge difference with it now especially while using Web browsers. There's harldly no choppiness anymore! Wahoo!
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 03:26 PM

15th post!

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2002, 03:33 PM

maybe some of you guys could stop barking at each other long enough to notice that iTunes 3.0.1 is noticeably zippier now?

ps It doesn't seem to erase yr harddrive neither, at least it didn't mine.

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 03:41 PM

I just downloaded it in class a few minutes ago. I'm surprised there's no Rendezvous support yet. That was supposed to be an update by know IIRC

nelliott
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 03:49 PM

Right so perhaps we should have waited a week before anyone post anything about iTunes 3.0.1, because f*ck knows why anyone would want to talk about an apple product when it is released .

Does it make you feel good being able to lurk around and be the first to let rip on anyone who starts a thread about a software update?

Some people are just downright rude.

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by robotmarkVIII:
I just downloaded it in class a few minutes ago. I'm surprised there's no Rendezvous support yet. That was supposed to be an update by know IIRC
No. Jobs said Rendezvous is what they're doing "six to nine months out in iTunes". Six to nine months from July is January - April 2003, at the earliest.

mattyd
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 03:53 PM

piracy -

i have to admit that i agree with much of the content of your posts (although lambasting someone for their grammar skills when english is not their primary language is NOT one of those cases), however the tone and manner in which you express your thoughts puzzles me.

it just seems that you spend an incredible amount of time and energy working yourself up and becoming exasperated over things that are in no way in your power to control.

yes, most of the people in the world are completely clueless. haven't you figured that out by now? people like to speculate about build numbers, release dates and debugging code. people don't search forums before asking questions. so what?

why do these things continue to surprise and bother you? and why the compulsion to post the nasty "i give up" responses. you SHOULD give it up, let it go and relax, man. there are more important things to get upset over. if people want to have a little innocent fun talking about crap, let them i say.

om shanti. peace.
( Last edited by mattyd; Sep 18, 2002 at 04:01 PM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 03:54 PM

Hell yeah its faster for me. Whew...

Heh, really. I was suprised.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 03:55 PM

Eh, VT lost my respect when they took over MacFixit and made it payware.

People giving them free help, then them charging people to read it.

Lame.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by macaddled:

ps It doesn't seem to erase yr harddrive neither, at least it didn't mine.

As a Wictim of the 2.0 iTunes Accidental Installer, I'm wery wery wary. I'll let you guinea pigs go on ahead and tell me how it works.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Eh, VT lost my respect when they took over MacFixit and made it payware.

People giving them free help, then them charging people to read it.

Lame.
I hate VT for many other reasons too from a software developers point of view. They were very immature when dealing with me.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 04:19 PM

Just fired up the SoftwareUpdate and installed iTunes 3.0.1. No problem at all and I'm ripping CD now.

Kenneth

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by nelliott:
Right so perhaps we should have waited a week before anyone post anything about iTunes 3.0.1, because f*ck knows why anyone would want to talk about an apple product when it is released .
"iTunes 3.0.1 released - in my Software D/L but it does not say what has changed" is hardly a cracking review for the masses @ macnn, is it? if you want to hang around and talk about non-details, then go nuts pal. there was a much point in me saying what i did, as he did: none. maybe waiting until there was something to talk about would have been cooler?
Does it make you feel good being able to lurk around and be the first to let rip on anyone who starts a thread about a software update?
when i'm in the mood i'm in today: yes.
Some people are just downright rude.
you're clearly confusing me with someone who gives a f*ck

wow, i think i've read too many starman posts, i almost sound like a bitter old man there! either way, i'm off to catch a movie. enjoy yourselves...

nelliott
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 04:32 PM

"iTunes 3.0.1 released - in my Software D/L but it does not say what has changed" is hardly a cracking review for the masses @ macnn, is it? if you want to hang around and talk about non-details, then go nuts pal. there was a much point in me saying what i did, as he did: none. maybe waiting until there was something to talk about would have been cooler?
Of course. I mean its stupid to imagine people might want to actually know when new software is released - that's a bad thing.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 04:44 PM

maybe waiting until there was something to talk about would have been cooler?
We're all so sorry, oh wise and all knowing one. Next time, we'll run our posts past you to get your "coolness" approval before we post anything. Will that make you happy? Maybe if you a little more control over your clicking finger, you wouldn't be running into these threads and getting you all in a tissy. Be strong! Fight the compulsive clicking of thread topics!

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Sep 18, 2002, 09:40 PM

Man you guys just bitch on and on and on....

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2002, 10:21 PM

iTunes 3.0.1 seems quite a bit faster in general. It has lower computer usage (for me), and it just seems smooth. I think the bug where burning at high speeds would cause errors is gone now too..

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 11:26 PM

I installed the 10.2.1 update and iTunes 3.0.1 at the same time, and after reboot Sotware Update prompted me to update to iTunes 3.0.1 again. So I did, and on restart I was prompted again!

I cancelled and confirmed that I do, indeed have iTunes 3.0.1. But Software Update still tells me I can update to iTunes 3.0.1.

Any idea what's going on?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 02:53 AM

Just a general warning - I'm getting pissed off with the number of junk messages posted to this forum. If a thread degenerates into almost total junk (like this one) I will not lock the thread, or move it. I will simply delete it.

Now, back on topic.

I found iTunes (what's the new version number now - 3.1, or 3.01 ?) to be smoother overall. I noticed that live window resize is now in (but by hell it's slow), and that the visualiser is much much faster when running in the window (on a Quartz Extreme machine, G4, with OpenGL turned on) - literally twice the frame rate.

Good update IMO.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by spectre:
iTunes 3.0.1 seems quite a bit faster in general. It has lower computer usage (for me), and it just seems smooth. I think the bug where burning at high speeds would cause errors is gone now too..
That pleases me ever so greatly. I don't want to restart, so 10.2.1 and iTunes 3.0.1 must wait.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 04:20 AM

Look. This forum is a community of Mac users. This part of the forum has to do with OS X. While Apple doesn't send me a personal e-mail notifying me of updates I come here to see if there is anything new in OS X. It's so much easyier than using the monster that is Veriontracker. I wouldn't even use that **** if I'd get paid for it.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 05:14 AM

Don't be such an arse. Go out and steal some cars or something. I for one look on MacNN to find out what's going on in the Mac world.

Nyaaar!

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 06:52 AM

No. Jobs said Rendezvous is what they're doing "six to nine months out in iTunes". Six to nine months from July is January - April 2003, at the earliest.
damn... that would have been cool in the dorms here...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by robotmarkVIII:

damn... that would have been cool in the dorms here...
MP3's and college parties go hand in hand!!! I would lock my computer in my closets and keep the keyboard, mouse and monitor on the outside... That way, the worst case scenario would be a stolen monitor. I then upgraded to a wireless keyboard and mouse connected to my main TV in the living room... That was the master plan of all time!

I still don't understand why it's OK for us to burn our own music from a CD, but it's not OK to burn our movies from a DVD... Oh well

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Just a general warning - I'm getting pissed off with the number of junk messages posted to this forum. If a thread degenerates into almost total junk (like this one) I will not lock the thread, or move it. I will simply delete it.
I am soo with you..

Hmm.. Wonder when iTunes is about to move over to mp4 as an import option..?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:

I am soo with you..

That and I want that cool Rondezvous feature.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:

I am soo with you..

Probably never, since MP4 is video. If you're wondering about AAC audio, then that'll probably happen when the iPod supports it.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

Probably never, since MP4 is video. If you're wondering about AAC audio, then that'll probably happen when the iPod supports it.
MP4 is for audio and video. QuickTimePro has an mp4 export option that works with audio files. I have imported whole cd's easely trough iTunes in combination with QTPro and a script (Sorry I don't have the link at hand to that script). iTunes also have built in support to play mp4 files. Works as a charm. Great huh?

Joost
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I installed the 10.2.1 update and iTunes 3.0.1 at the same time, and after reboot Sotware Update prompted me to update to iTunes 3.0.1 again. So I did, and on restart I was prompted again!

I cancelled and confirmed that I do, indeed have iTunes 3.0.1. But Software Update still tells me I can update to iTunes 3.0.1.

Any idea what's going on?
Same here. And yet the software update logs are up to date... Strange.
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by typoon:

That and I want that cool Rondezvous feature.
It is really amusing that people who probably think of themselves as Mac experts as so taken in by Apple's marketing hyperbole about Rendezvous.

There is no reason why the iTunes 'Rendezvous feature' demoed by Steve Jobs in New York and Paris could not have been implemented in iTunes 1!

People do not seem to understand what Rendezvous really is and Apple is being horrendously disingenuous with some of its marketing of the product.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 09:36 PM

Well hot darn, iTunes is better now. The visualizer is slicker, even on my non-Quartz-Extreme supported iBook 500.

I do not see live resizing, though. I bet it's only enabled if you have Quartz Extreme. Here I still have the outline draw when I resize.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Well hot darn, iTunes is better now. The visualizer is slicker, even on my non-Quartz-Extreme supported iBook 500.

I do not see live resizing, though. I bet it's only enabled if you have Quartz Extreme. Here I still have the outline draw when I resize.
Only on G4s.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 10:29 PM

If I'm correct AAC is mp3 pro. That's already supported by iTunes. It can't import at mp3 pro, but it can play this format. But, iPod still doesn't support it. Hoperully in a future update.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules