Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Automator Question: "add to sidebar"

Automator Question: "add to sidebar"
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2007, 08:15 AM

I was hoping to create an Automator workflow to add specific folders to my sidebar whenever I mount my external drives on my Macbook Pro. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any action that adds folders to the Finder sidebar.

Does anyone know a way around this? Maybe there's a third-party action available, or an Applescript that'll do the trick, but I haven't been able to find anything.

llee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2007, 11:40 AM

Not exactly an Automator solution (although it could be triggered that way), but how about being able to choose what's in your sidebar from a list of sidebar sets that you create and manage?

If so, look at <http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/worksets.html> and find "Sidebar sets".

Then you might want to configure Launchd. to control the loading of a particular set:

Using launchd with AppleScript to Access a Flash Drive Automatically

CaptainHaddock  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2007, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, although I'm a little suspicious of anything that hacks the OS as this seems to do. A friend who knows Applescript told me there's absolutely no scripting access to the Finder sidebar. That seems awfully strange to me.

Maybe the Leopard Finder will be different.

Forum Links
Forum Rules